Build 15063 - multiple device issues - code 12 cannot find enough free resources RRS feed

• Question

• Laptop PC updated to 15063 overnight, it restarted with no internet.

It was manually restarted, still no internet.

I went looking at 'Change Adapter Settings' and it's only listing one VPN adapter. Its Wifi and ethernet adapters nowhere to be found.

Checking Device Manager yields many many duplicate entries and may warns in the duplicates and in non-duplicated items.

The ethernet adpater is missing, the 2 entries for wifi are there, one code 10 (can not start) and one code 12 (device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)

The display adapter has 3 of the same entries: one okay, two code 12
    Serial ATA Storage Controller is in duplicate: one ok, one code 12

System devices:
    Has 29 unique entries, 7 of which have duplicates - but all are ok.
    Duplicated items: ACPI Thermal Zone, CPU to DRAM Controller, Direct Application Launch Button, Generic BUS, High Definition Audio Controller, LPC Controller, SM Bus Controller
    PCI-to-PCI Bridge is listed 8 times (initially 5 ok, 3 code 12 - then after fiddling with the USB controllers and restart, these came back all 8 OK)

After uninstalling all 9 "USB Host Controller" entries (4 duplicated, 1 alone) which were all code 12. Then scanned for changes - they came back as 5 USB Host Controller + 5 USB Root Hub, all 10 okay. But then after restart, they came back as 5 controllers with duplicates (one each ok, one code 12) and 5 root hubs (all ok)

Aside from USB controllers since there's nothing plugged in, what else can be safely uninstalled or disabled to try to allow the wifi to work ?

Am I correct that *SOME* of those duplicates are abnormal ?

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:37 PM

All replies

• What is you system make and board? Any updates for chipset \ usb devices for your device?
    Friday, April 7, 2017 5:19 PM
  • It's a Toshiba PSAA8C-TA402C

We are not actually sure if the LAN adapter has been working prior to this update, so we're concentrating on the wireless adapater for now - 2 entries for it in device manager - one code 10 (can not start) and one code 12 (device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)

A3489U-1MPC = Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/b/g
    I rolled back the wireless adapter driver to the one saved in /Windows.old/ but it did not help.

We do have original recovery disks - hopefully can get the original driver from it.
    I think I can find a PCMCIA or Express card wifi adapter - are these supported in Windows 10?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 3:58 AM
  • You should uninstall, reinstall and update the drivers.

Regarding error code 12. This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate sufficient resources to a device. For example, this message will be displayed if the BIOS does not allocate an interrupt to a USB controller because of an invalid multiprocessor specification (MPS) table.

Ref:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:19 AM
  • PCMCIA wireless card I tried is either nonfunctional or Windows 10 not recognizing it.
    The recovery disks don't seem to have individual driver files I could pick out, and we'd like to avoid going right back to square one and rolling it back to XP entirely.

We booted from a Knoppix CD and both the wireless and ethernet adapters WORKED without doing a thing.

Would the Windows 10 update have altered the BIOS? Because all was working before this last Windows update - nothing was changed by us.

What do we do now ? There is a Recovery partition (or separate disk?)  - I don't know if it's been used at all by Windows 10.

• Edited by OttIT Friday, April 14, 2017 4:22 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Well the Toshiba PSAA8C-TA402C is an old laptop when I search for it. Drivers only for XP and Vista

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200011984

So sorry to say does not appear compatible with Windows 10. So either a different OS or perhaps try a different Wireless card with it.

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:52 PM
  • Laptop PC updated to 15063 overnight, it restarted with no internet.

It was manually restarted, still no internet.

I went looking at 'Change Adapter Settings' and it's only listing one VPN adapter. Its Wifi and ethernet adapters nowhere to be found.

Checking Device Manager yields many many duplicate entries and may warns in the duplicates and in non-duplicated items.

The ethernet adpater is missing, the 2 entries for wifi are there, one code 10 (can not start) and one code 12 (device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)

The display adapter has 3 of the same entries: one okay, two code 12
    Serial ATA Storage Controller is in duplicate: one ok, one code 12

System devices:
    Has 29 unique entries, 7 of which have duplicates - but all are ok.
    Duplicated items: ACPI Thermal Zone, CPU to DRAM Controller, Direct Application Launch Button, Generic BUS, High Definition Audio Controller, LPC Controller, SM Bus Controller
    PCI-to-PCI Bridge is listed 8 times (initially 5 ok, 3 code 12 - then after fiddling with the USB controllers and restart, these came back all 8 OK)

After uninstalling all 9 "USB Host Controller" entries (4 duplicated, 1 alone) which were all code 12. Then scanned for changes - they came back as 5 USB Host Controller + 5 USB Root Hub, all 10 okay. But then after restart, they came back as 5 controllers with duplicates (one each ok, one code 12) and 5 root hubs (all ok)

Aside from USB controllers since there's nothing plugged in, what else can be safely uninstalled or disabled to try to allow the wifi to work ?

Am I correct that *SOME* of those duplicates are abnormal ?

My Toshiba A200 (PSAE0C-TR605C) also has the exact same issue in Device Manager after clean installed Windows 10 Creators Update.  Replaced with Intel ICH7 Chipset & USB driver, Intel GMA 950 Display Driver, and Intel 3945abg wireless driver still not functioning. 

This is definitely a compatibility issue with this new Creators update and the Toshiba Satellite A200. 

Saturday, April 15, 2017 4:22 AM
  • So what if it's old?  That's irrelevant. It meets the minimum requirements and the compatibility check at the time only warned that Media Center functionality would be lost. It's been running Windows 10 Insider Preview since before Windows 10 was released to public!

• Edited by OttIT Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:47 PM
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:46 PM
  • We did "Recovery"->"Go back to an earlier build".

It was flawless and all devices are working A-OK again without ANY further intervention.

Now I would like to know if there has been a fundemental change in Windows 10 such that older devices just will no longer be supported from here on in [after 2 years!] or this was unintentional = a major bug ?

• Edited by OttIT Sunday, April 16, 2017 5:28 PM
    Sunday, April 16, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Some of the links may be useful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-common-problems-and-fixes#fix_creators_update_download_errors

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/plan/windows-10-compatibility?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/01/21/using-the-windows-10-compatibility-reports-to-understand-upgrade-issues/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4b43bdb9-5ce4-4a6f-90c9-8fae5f7f53f3/how-do-you-rollback-or-repair-without-network-connectivity?forum=WindowsInsiderPreview

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/25802/15-windows-10-problems-and-how-to-fix-them-6

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-creators-update-problems-fixes/

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

I also have a A200 and exact the same issues as described above. Before the Creators update the laptop runs as a charme but now it's useless.

I don't understand why Microsoft did not let the good working drivers untouched.  I hope they will come with a good answer and better a good solution, otherwise Linux is my next OS.....!!

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Hi, the same happened to me,

I restarted the computer(vaio laptop), and I had no internet network adapters, when i opened the device manager, many of y devices were duplicated and some of them call for error 12, not enough resources... 

I thought it was something with the bios of my laptop, but I changed the HDD with other laptop of same model, that was running previous version (1670) and the same, I put the HDD of that laptop on the one damaged and it worked fine...

very bad this creator update, after all those announcements... 

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Just wanted to report that I'm troubleshooting a friend's computer and they are experiencing a very similar (if not the same) issue.  Their's is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4284 (PSAA8U-0FH02K).

I thought they had maybe been messing with drivers and hosed up Device Manager, so I slapped in a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Win10 but found the same ugly list of exclamation points in Device Manager.

Screen Shot of Device Manager
    http://imgur.com/a/XNCyd

Anyone ever find a resolution?

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Hi Josh Rossenbach,

If you want you can get more help making your own thread.

After installing a new HD and new operating system you did not comment on what you did with drivers.

Windows will install many non-Microsoft drivers but you must manually install drivers after a clean install.

Go to the Toshiba website and enter the computer's serial or product number to view all computer manufacturer approved drivers.  Then download every available appropriate/applicable driver for your computer's configuration and operating system.

These yellow triangles should disappear once you have download all of the computer manufacturer approved drivers.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:02 AM
  • Hi, I have same issue with Lenovo 3000 C200 (model: 8922-AZG) after clean install of Windows 10 Home build 15063 (Creators Update). In device manager have also multiple devices with yellow exclamation mark and lot of devices have code 12 and 35. Drivers are installed by Windows or by me (only SD card reader driver was missing).

After clean install of Windows 10 Home build 14393 (Anniversary update) there is no issue with drivers - so, it resolved this issue for me, even it is not the right solution. Hope, that in Autumn Creators Update it will be OK.

Screenshots:

1. 15063 - device manager 1/2

2. 15063 - device manager 2/2

3. 14393 - device manager with system info

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Is there already a solution for this huge problem?
    Friday, September 15, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Same problem here with a Toshiba Satellite A100 (PSAA8S-0GF010).

Had been running flawlessly with whatever drivers until I let Win 10 Pro have a go at upgrading to the Creators Update. It's now getting many exclamations and duplicate devices showing up in Device Manager, as the guys described above. No working WIFI or LAN interfaces.

Very annoying.

Monday, October 2, 2017 8:18 AM
  • There will be a major windows near the middle of October so it is unclear how this may impact the problems that you are having.

Windows by default automatically updates non-Microsoft drivers.

This can be turned off if there are updated drivers taht are causing problems such as bsod.

Monday, October 2, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Same issue with the Insider Preview builds for the Fall Creators Update on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4284. 
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:54 PM
  • I had the same problem on a Toshiba A100, also after it installed the Creators update. I went back to the previous build, and that solved it. Hit the windows key, type "recovery" (without quotes), click recovery options, select "go back to an earlier build" and wait it out.  

The option to go back to the earlier build is only there for 10 days. 

There was no problem installing build 15063 on 4 other laptops in our household. The Toshiba A100 is 10 years old, it shipped with Vista, was upgraded to Windows 7 and then to 10. 

I do hope it understands not to redo the upgrade to the newer build. One never knows, Microsoft. 
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Exact same problem for me on a Lenovo 3000 N100 (0768) - the Creators Fall update results in a lot of "code 12" issues, but reverting ("Recovery" -> "Go back to an earlier build") to 14392.1770 and everything works just fine.  In my case only the USB AC-WiFi worked correctly with the Fall update; ethernet and PCMCIA both broke, as did suspend/resume.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Exact same problem for me on a Lenovo 3000 N100 (0768) - the Creators Fall update results in a lot of "code 12" issues, but reverting ("Recovery" -> "Go back to an earlier build") to 14392.1770 and everything works just fine.  In my case only the USB AC-WiFi worked correctly with the Fall update; ethernet and PCMCIA both broke, as did suspend/resume.

Exact same problem for me on a Lenovo 3000 N100 (0689).  My system had crashed so I had to do a fresh install and had no revert to earlier option available. The only way I could get it to work at all was by inserting an old TP-Link 610G wifi PCMCIA card. When rebooting, although Windows didn't recognise the card at all and there are no compatible drivers out there anyway, the system showed all devices in device manager now working fine! I was now able to access the internet though the built-in Intel wifi. If I remove the PCMCIA card and reboot the duplicates in Device manager return along with the other error messages mentioned by other posters above. Like others mentioned I had no problems with windows 8.1 or earlier versions of Windows 10 prior to this update. Bad show Microsoft, and not a word on fixing it.

• Edited by psychbiz Friday, December 15, 2017 4:31 AM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 4:29 AM
  • Same problem.  I had to roll back the update to reinstall the previous version of Windows 10 PRO.  In addition, after the rollback, the installed wireless adapter, which runs 802.11a/b/c shows the available connection list but cannot connect to my network.  My new Verizon modem runs 802.11n!  I had to connect an external USB wireless adapter.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 9:48 PM
  • I'm another with this same problem. An old Toshiba A105 laptop that was from the end of the XP era (it had a "Vista Capable" sticker on it when it got it.) When XP stopped being supported, I went to Windows 7, and jumped from that to Windows 10 without any problems until now. I somehow dodged the first Creators Update, but finally the Fall version went through and I gain I think 18 bad listings in my Device Manager.  As mentioned above, at least I still have a functional USB because I also have to plug in an external network adapter to get any kind of network connectivity... since the on board Ethernet and Wi-Fi both won't run.  I have rolled back the FCU I think 4 times now, but Windows foists that darn update back on fairly quickly afterwards. 

I wish I could just permanently disable that update.  It will do it yet again the next time I reboot it.  I have two of those laptops, the other bought for parts long ago, but it works, so I used that one to experiment with, doing all sorts of things.  But the more I did, the worse things got, to the point where had to try a fresh install of W10.  Going that route ended up with I think the same list of bad devices as I got from the Windows Update.  Definitely not a "Feature Update" on that computer.  (my other computers and my much newer HP laptop all do OK with FCU)

Sunday, December 31, 2017 4:51 AM
  • I have this same issue as well. It started after one of the major windows 10 updates. If I insert a PCMCIA card and restart, all my drivers will be restored and work properly, except for the PCMCIA card. If I remove the card, all my drivers get messed up (exactly like the screenshots posted by Pavel_J) and I lose internet access.

As a temporary workaround, I inserted a PCMCIA card and restarted my machine to get the drivers functional again (uninstall and reinstall some drivers if the restart alone doesn't fix everything). Then I disabled (not uninstalled) the PCMCIA card driver in device manager. After the PCMCIA driver is disabled, I could remove the PCMCIA card without the other drivers going haywire next reboot.

I found in another post that this can also be done with without a PCMCIA card by taking ownership of the PCMCIA.sys file in the Windows > System32 > Driver directory and renaming it to something else. This will prevent the default windows PCMCIA driver from being installed and causing problems. I hope they fix this soon, but I'm not very optimistic since it has been an issue for months and seems to affect older machines. My laptop is going on 11 years old. (SOURCE: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/67i2ny/windows_10_version_1703_update_15063250_kb4016240/dgtfrkv/)

Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Add another Toshiba A105 with the same problem. I originally had Vista on this laptop when new. I upgraded to windows 8 pro and then windows 8.1 pro. In either windows 8 or 8.1 the wired ethernet did not work. I assumed it was a hardware failure and just used wifi. Then, when win 10 was released, I upgraded to that earlier version (1511?). The wired ethernet still did not work but wifi still did. I still thought the wired hardware was dead. Then, after not using the laptop for some time (months) I recently started it and it automatically installed "upgrades" which caused wifi and wired to stop working. Also several device drivers showed errors as mentioned above including wired and wifi. After searching and not finding a solution, reinstalled the original Vista and both wired and wifi were found to be good hardware. I then went through reinstalling windows vers 8.0, 8.1, and 10 with the same results - no wired or wifi. I have tried reinstalling drivers.

My driver for windows 8.1 (may be original for Vista) works for wifi but not wired.

I have not found drivers that work for win 10 ver 1707 (OS Build 16299.125)

I have ordered a usb wired adapter to try but it's not delivered yet.

This is still a fast enough computer with SSD. I hope someone finds a solution. If not, I will have to revert to either vista or win 8.1

Monday, April 2, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hi OttlT,

we had the same issue and discussed this at answers.microsoft.com "windows_10-hardware/multiple-device-failure-code-12-after-windows-10" Page 9 (Google it, I can't paste links)

I have copied the latest status about the potential solution that you might want to try before disposing your laptop:

These hacks work:

(Original 04.04.2018) Thank you MaBow and MikeMiCal - I worked with your suggestions.
    (Updated 07.04.2018) Thank you SamuelLazarin for having confirmed that it's working.

Solution by registry hack:

(Update 07.04.2018 from a reply by Le Hobo Bob:

"A much simpler way that won't get undone by sfc or corruption repair and doesn't require complicated steps to take permissions on files would be to disable the driver service in the registry, I've tested this on Toshiba Satellite A135 and it works (well, other than my SD card reader which uses pcmcia not working anymore, everything else was fixed):

* hit start

* type regedit, hit enter

* accept prompt

* navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pcmcia on the left

* Double click "Start" on the right and change the value to 4 (the default is 0)

* Reboot"

//End Update)

COMMENT: By resetting the registry value back to default and rebooting, the pcmcia service might work again without causing the failure. Should be tried.

Aparently it also should help to shove in any PCMCIA card, though in my case that solution didn't help. However, renaming files did the job and the update from Windows 10 version 15xx/16xx to the creatore's update versions 1703, 1709 and 1803 is operating well. After your Windows 10 got updated and your network hardware gave up while the device manager went to apocalypse by showing multiple device failure / errors (code 12) try this hack:

Solution by renaming pcmcia.sys:

Before starting, make sure you are logged in with an account having administrator permissions ascribed. Also, you need to enabled 'all files visible' and 'file extensions visible' in the file explorer. If you don't know what this is or how to do it, ask a technican to guide you through and rather don't continue alone.

1.) Open the folder: c:\windows\system32\drivers and find the file pcmcia.sys

2.) Change the file access permission to 'full control' as follows:

2a.) Right mouse click on pcmcia.sys - choose 'properties' - choose the tab 'Security' - click button 'Advanced' for special permissions - a new window opens called 'Advanced Security Settings for pcmcia.sys'

2b.) In the new window you see 'Name' in the first line and 'Owner' in the second. In the owner line Click 'Change' - a new window opens called 'Select User or Group' - click button 'Advanced...' - a new window opens also called 'Select User or Group' - click 'Find Now' - in the lower part of the window you see 'Search results' - Scroll to the 'Name' that equals your user name and that shows your PC name under 'In Folder' - click (highlight) your name and click 'OK' - the current window closes - you returend to the first 'Select User or Group' window - click 'OK' - window closes and you are back to 'Advanced Security Settings for pcmcia.sys' - check whether the owner now is your user name and click 'OK' - you might get ask for confirmations and get system info pop-ups which all need to be acccepted or confirmed.

2c.) You are back in window 'pcmcia.sys properties' - in the list 'Group or user names:' choose your 'Users (PC-Name\Users)' - in the lower part of the window change the 'Permissions for Users' by ticking the check- boxesto 'Full control' and 'Modify' - then click 'OK' - confirm the corresponding security warnings.

3.) Rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.sys.old - Reboot windows

Either problem solved or continue with 4:

4.) Open folder c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and find the folder \pcmcia.inf_amd64_(hashtag)\ - Right click and change permissions for the user 'Everyone' to enabled 'Full control' and 'Modify' - you might have to go through the process of step 2a-c.

5.) Open folder c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.inf_amd64_(hashtag) - rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.sys.old - rename pcmcia.inf to pcmcia.inf.old - Reboot windows

The multipe device failures (Code 12) should have disappeared. The WLAN/LAN should be functional and connect again.

After all this completed, I have renamed all three files to their original name, then rebooted and it STILL WORKS including the PCMCIA card. I also recommend to change all permissions of files and folders back to the original setting.

Please let us know whether it has helped.

Best regards and good luck,

Rainer & Sebastian

• Proposed as answer by Sebastian2018 Monday, April 9, 2018 9:09 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:07 AM
  • The registry hack works for Code 12 Resource problems - it really does!

Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 1.6 single Celeron 2GB SDRAM  Kingston 128GB SSD

Before narrowing in on the PCMCIA card as the root of the problem with it was hell trying to stop the latest upgrades which always cut off the internet.  But the hack above worked immediately.

Provided you don't want to play games or do video editing now this hack has fixed the Win 10 upgrade problem, with an SSD drive these old laptops boot up fast and have years of life left in them

Many thanks

"A much simpler way that won't get undone by sfc or corruption repair and doesn't require complicated steps to take permissions on files would be to disable the driver service in the registry, I've tested this on Toshiba Satellite A135 and it works (well, other than my SD card reader which uses pcmcia not working anymore, everything else was fixed):

* hit start

* type regedit, hit enter

* accept prompt

* navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pcmcia on the left

* Double click "Start" on the right and change the value to 4 (the default is 0)

* Reboot"

//End Update)"

• Edited by Megapix99 Friday, June 1, 2018 1:19 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Thank you so much!  This was exactly the info I needed although it took an exhaustive search.  It shouldn't be necessary to have to hack Windows 10 to make it work.  A big fail for MS.  But as hacks go, yours is brill and works a treat.  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:02 PM
  • worked for me... thanx.

SL

Sunday, August 19, 2018 3:08 AM