none
"Windows could not finish configuring the system.To attempt to resume configuration restart computer" RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone knows what is the cause of this error at the end of installation?: "windows could not finish configuring the system. to attempt to resume configuration restart computer"

Restart the computer not solve the problem.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:02 PM

Answers

• Had the same problem on two different computers.  Finally got it working by doing the following:

1.  Start setup from DVD

2.  at the screen showing the partitions on the hard disk, delete the partition.  Let setup create a new partition, format it, and continue.

For some reason, setup could not finish the configuration using the partition already on the disk.  The original was created under Windows 2000 in this case.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:59 AM

All replies

• i am curious too as to the issue of this. how generic can this message  be.. my system is an asus p5n-E SLI MB .. Intel E6850 3.0 ghz processor , 8800GT 512 Vid card. 2 gig pc6400 Ram.. 60 gig HD clean. and i get the same issue. YET.. i know its not the ISO as i was able to install it on an older PC.  an AMD 2400+ processor, A7V333 MB 1 gig PC2100 Ram , Fx5200 Vid card. and it installed fine. so much for using new PC to install a Brand new OS LOL .. more frustrating is that its such a generic message how the hell do you know what the trouble is. i have posted this same message on several Windows 7 Forums and never got one reply. amazing. hopefulyl someone has an answer. I will keep checking this.
    • Edited by dj3642 Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:50 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the posts.

Please let us know how you install the Windows 7. A upgrade install or clean install?

I suggest that performing a clean install to check the issue. In this way, some unexpected issues with upgrade install can be avoided. It is also recommended that formatting the partition where you want to install Windows 7 with the built-in disk management tool.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by jimtom Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:24 AM
  •   Fortunate me that I have came to right place: I have the exactly same trouble. I've tried everything yet. Re-expand files from boot DVD, re-download the iso file, reburn, then retry. I got the 64-bit version and I know got it right (I installed a 64 bit Xp before and it works well). It's a fresh install. Highly apperciate any assistance.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:29 PM
  • my software i downloaded is the 32 bit version and it was a completely clean install not upgrade. i didnt want to take any chances so yes its a clean HD and NEW install so what gives?? i dont understand the issue??  as i said its not an ISO issue as i did install it on an dolder system yet on my newer faster one i get this error with  no explanation.  the NEW HD was formatted to NTFS before the install.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:15 PM
  • dj3642 said:

i am curious too as to the issue of this. how generic can this message  be.. my system is an asus p5n-E SLI MB .. Intel E6850 3.0 ghz processor , 8800GT 512 Vid card. 2 gig pc6400 Ram.. 60 gig HD clean. and i get the same issue. YET.. i know its not the ISO as i was able to install it on an older PC.  an AMD 2400+ processor, A7V333 MB 1 gig PC2100 Ram , Fx5200 Vid card. and it installed fine. so much for using new PC to install a Brand new OS LOL .. more frustrating is that its such a generic message how the hell do you know what the trouble is. i have posted this same message on several Windows 7 Forums and never got one reply. amazing. hopefulyl someone has an answer. I will keep checking this.

I have the same problem my system is sim spec to yours apart for graphics card I got 7600 and onboard wifi when I started I updated the Bios disabled onboard wifi reformatted god knows how many times from what I have read on another thread it could be graphics card tomorrow I will start again with a different card and let you know how I get on with any luck I wont need my No2 engineers hammer lol

Update:
    I swapped the graphics card and same problem reformatted reloaded same problem I installed the hard drive I am using for windows 7 as a slave drive to format it through win xp (read this in another post) put original graphics card back in and reinstalled hard drive and started installing 7 again and it got further got all the way to installing the drivers then said it had to restart to complete install, me thinking great I sorted it but oh no when it restarted got to the starting windows quick flash of BSOD and #~@* ____ up again I will be trying to install this on another computer tomorrow I will come back to my original computer at a later date but if I carry on with it now it might end up in bits down the bottom of garden will pop on tomorrow and let you know how I got on

• Edited by Dave1960 Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:30 PM
  •   Sooo, The graphic card cause this problem as you said?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:57 PM
  •   Try to reformat your hard disk drive. It's works for me but It appears for me that I got another problem at the "completing installation" stage now.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:02 AM
  • my hard drive was reformatted about 3 times. as i said this was a totally clean install i deleted ALL partitions on this drive and started from scratch. i created a new Partition and formatted it to NTFS.. stil no luck..
    • Proposed as answer by sawaddi Friday, January 23, 2009 11:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lawrence GarvinEditor Monday, January 26, 2009 5:54 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Try resetting the bios to default values.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 11:41 AM
  • bios IS set at default i have not made any changes to it since install a year ago.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Dave1960 said:

dj3642 said:

i am curious too as to the issue of this. how generic can this message  be.. my system is an asus p5n-E SLI MB .. Intel E6850 3.0 ghz processor , 8800GT 512 Vid card. 2 gig pc6400 Ram.. 60 gig HD clean. and i get the same issue. YET.. i know its not the ISO as i was able to install it on an older PC.  an AMD 2400+ processor, A7V333 MB 1 gig PC2100 Ram , Fx5200 Vid card. and it installed fine. so much for using new PC to install a Brand new OS LOL .. more frustrating is that its such a generic message how the hell do you know what the trouble is. i have posted this same message on several Windows 7 Forums and never got one reply. amazing. hopefulyl someone has an answer. I will keep checking this.

I have the same problem my system is sim spec to yours apart for graphics card I got 7600 and onboard wifi when I started I updated the Bios disabled onboard wifi reformatted god knows how many times from what I have read on another thread it could be graphics card tomorrow I will start again with a different card and let you know how I get on with any luck I wont need my No2 engineers hammer lol

Update:
    I swapped the graphics card and same problem reformatted reloaded same problem I installed the hard drive I am using for windows 7 as a slave drive to format it through win xp (read this in another post) put original graphics card back in and reinstalled hard drive and started installing 7 again and it got further got all the way to installing the drivers then said it had to restart to complete install, me thinking great I sorted it but oh no when it restarted got to the starting windows quick flash of BSOD and #~@* ____ up again I will be trying to install this on another computer tomorrow I will come back to my original computer at a later date but if I carry on with it now it might end up in bits down the bottom of garden will pop on tomorrow and let you know how I got on

Update: i have installed on another computer check my thread up and running

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/890b5cff-1785-4c63-9323-866e6d0b442d

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Had the same problem on two different computers.  Finally got it working by doing the following:

1.  Start setup from DVD

2.  at the screen showing the partitions on the hard disk, delete the partition.  Let setup create a new partition, format it, and continue.

For some reason, setup could not finish the configuration using the partition already on the disk.  The original was created under Windows 2000 in this case.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I have the same problem and am at the stage of reformatting as tossing Win 7 in the bin.  Has anyone tried the solution proposed by LW7 or is there is another solution.

There must be a reason why Win 7 suddenly stops at the configuring the system stage and to be honest, a preformatted partition by another OS eg win2k or vista does not seem a logical cause when it has succeeded for so many others.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:11 PM
  • So does anyone have any suggestions please?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Well I solved my problem.  LW7 was certainly on the right track the only difference is that I didn't need to delete and re-create the partition but getting Windows 7 setup to format the partition did the trick for me too.  It seems that is definately the solution.

cheers

• Proposed as answer by itswheels Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:18 AM
  • I have the same problem. I formatted the drive with WinXp. This is an old system with nothing special in it. A 1.2 GC P3 and 640 MB memory. I installed the Vista RC1 without any problem. The video card is an nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, an old 2X AGP card that runs on anything. I'll try deleting the partition and let Win7 format the drive. 
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:05 AM
  •    I have a dual boot setup with windows 2000 ( used paragon Disc partitioning software to make a logical D: drive on windows 2000 drive ) and installed Win 7 on D: . I also came up against the dreaded
    "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer. " loop. 

Thanks to LW7 and Itswheels, I reformatted the D: drive, first using the System Recovery
    Options  "Command Prompt", Typing in "D:" to change the drive, then typing "Format D:"
    It came back saying it needed to unmount the drive before formatting, which I allowed it to do.
       Then I restarted, allowed it to start install normally, and used the "custom installation",
    chose "disk 0 partition 2" for installation, clicked "drive options advanced" and used "format" to
    reformat the drive again, just to be sure. Anyway it installed fine and is running properly.  This might
    not be the easiest way to fix it, I just wanted to get this down in case somebody else had a dual boot installation problem. 

One byproduct of this second reformatting and installation is I could only see the Windows 7
    logical partition of the hard drive. The Windows 2000 partition was missing until I went into
    disk management and assigned a letter manually.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I would like a resolution to this issue. I had opened a ticked a year ago with Microsoft support, and it appears that for Windows 7, they incorporated the solution to my issue in Windows, which is good. Unfortunately, the issue with the bootmgr is not resolved.

When using the examples in the new WAIK kit for Windows 7, it says to clean the disk, create two partitions, etc etc which I have done. I created an image of Windows 7, and captured images of both the 200MB boot volume and the windows volume separately. When I create those partitions win PE 3.0, and apply the images to their respective partitions, it just give the "Windows could not finish configuring the system.To attempt to resume configuration restart computer". Really boring.

I have tried using the bcdboot command when this message appeared using shift f10

bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us

no dice.

diskpart shows the following results from "List Volume"

vol 0 cdrom

vol 1     Label= system fs=ntfs Partition 200MB Healthy System
    vol 2 C  Label=Windows fs=ntfs Partition 30GB Health Boot

What gives?

Also, this is a virtual machine with 1024 MB memory, 30GB disk running under Hyper-V
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:18 PM
  • I now have the ACTUAL SOLUTION to this problem.  This solution will actually tell you exactly what registry key is causing your sysprep to fail, so then you don't have to slowly install every program until you find the problem -- especially since this didn't work for me because my problem has been intermittent.

This issue is caused by certain registry keys that are either:

a) Larger than 8kb

b) Set with incorrect permissions

c) Corrupt in some way

For me, the problem was intermittent (same registry key would sometimes cause the issue and sometimes not - must be corrupt sometimes) so it was impossible to tell what program was doing it.  Luckily, there is a log you can look at that will tell you exactly what registry key is erroring out.  Here are the steps for getting the log you need to see:

When you see the error message, do the following:

1.) Push Shift+F10 to get to a command prompt

2.) Navigate to C:\windows\Panther

3.) Find the Setup.etl file and find a way to copy this file off of the system (I copied it to the D:\ partition and used Ghost to gather that partition and get the file off)

4.) Copy the setup.etl file from the corrupted system to another computer that has Windows 7.  Put it on the root of C:\ for easiest access.

5.) Open a Command Prompt on the Windows 7 computer.

6.) Navigate to the root of C:\ (or wherever you saved the file)

7.) Type "tracerpt setup.etl -o logfile.csv"

8.) Close the command prompt and open up logfile.csv in your text editor of choice. 

9.) Look through the log file (towards the end probably) for messages that say "Failed to process reg key or one of it's decendants"  For me, the exact eror looked like this: "Failed to process reg key or one of its descendants: [\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000200\Profiles\@My profile]"  If you search for "reg key" or "failed to process" you should find the failure.

10.) Remove this software from your image, or find out how to get the registry key that is failing to work properly.

After this, you should be able to properly identify any problem keys and remove/workaround them on your image.

• Proposed as answer by Jeff Harrison Friday, June 4, 2010 4:09 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Jeff's post worked on my system, but thought I'd add a bit of ease to getting at the setup.etl file. Hopefully it will work for someone else as well.

I was able to transfer the setup.etl to an USB after rebooting.  At the command window I had to search all the way down to I: to find it, but was then able to copy it over without having to clone the entire drive.

cheers!

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:27 AM
  • the solution for this problem is like this:

1. press shift + f10

2. type msconfig, under boot tab check safeboot box and Minimal box

3. hit ok and restart later and hit on ok of the message.

4. after restart, press shift + f10

5. type msconfig, under boot tab uncheck safeboot box

6. hit ok and restart later

7. before you restart the computer type explorer 

8. after you reach the desktop view click on OK of the error message

9. after restart it must continue without errors.

10. enjoy

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Thank you issa from palestine

.... this resolved the my problem perfectly

the solution for this problem is like this:

1. press shift + f10

2. type msconfig, under boot tab check safeboot box and Minimal box

3. hit ok and restart later and hit on ok of the message.

4. after restart, press shift + f10

5. type msconfig, under boot tab uncheck safeboot box

6. hit ok and restart later

7. before you restart the computer type explorer 

8. after you reach the desktop view click on OK of the error message

9. after restart it must continue without errors.

10. enjoy

• Edited by kooch55 Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:15 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:13 PM