none
Migration Local User to Domain Account RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my current use case.  My client has XP computers that are NOT domain joined so they are using local accounts to logon to the workstations.  These users will be getting a new domain joined Windows 7 build and will be logging on as a domain user.  Their current process is to join the source machine to the domain, migrate all profiles from XP to Windows 7 and copy the profile data from the local to the domain profile.

I would like to streamline this by migrating a user profile from a non domain joined local user to a specific domain joined, domain profile.  Can this be accomplished by USMT, ADMT or any other migration utility?

Thanks in Advanced.

BR

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:07 PM

All replies

• Suspect there are a number of ways to do this, but an easy tool we've used a lot at work is the User Profile Wizard http://www.forensit.com/comparison.html which does the job and is easy to use. Personally I've only used the personal version which is great if you simply want to move a profile locally (eg from an old local profile to a new domain profile like you describe), but from what I understand it's capable of a lot more automation with the paid version, so depending on the number of machines you've got to update it might be worth considering.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 7:03 PM
  • But this tool doesn't allow me to capture the local user profile and migrate it to a domain joined Windows 7 machine under the users' domain account.

BR

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:09 PM