none
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - UDP "Ping" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I have a product that can perform a "UDP Ping" to a remote node, just for purposes of testing the UDP performance on the network. It normally works just fine, but I ran into a bit of a kink with the firewall that I am hoping someone can help with. 

When I take the firewall down completely, the UDP requests go through to the remote node and bounce back, no issue at all. However, as you know, we probably should not leave the firewall down. 

I put the firewall back up and tried to just simply allow UDP traffic on all ports, then I tried my target port range... No avail. No combination of inbound/outbound rules are helping me. I disabled ALL rules, and put in only one inbound and outbound rule that allows UDP. Still no luck. I feel that this may be an implicit rule that Windows Firewall has, but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm mainly confused because when we take the firewall down, it works. It *has* to be something in the firewall... I just can't figure out what. 

Any help or direction would be so appreciated; we have been working for 2 days trying to figure this out to no avail. 

Thanks in advance!

Friday, October 13, 2017 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to check pfirewall.log file located in C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Firewall to audit the detail port information when you allow UDP. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 7:21 AM