none
Auto detect "unplugged monitor", where to turn off? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to know this since windows thinks that my monitor gets unplugged when I turn it off and use displayport (DP) as a media to transfer the image. This will be a big issue for windows if its not fixed soon since DP more or less always registers as "unplugged" when the monitor is off.

Any1 know a solution to this problem? its bad when u need to change the resolution back to normal each time you start the computer and forgett to start one of the monitors...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:03 AM

Answers

• This is controlled by your video driver, not Windows!

The problem lies with the video driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:39 PM

All replies

• This is controlled by your video driver, not Windows!

The problem lies with the video driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:39 PM
  • then both NVidia and AMD got exactly the same bug in their cards. Here is a thread that describes the problem in more detail from other ppl with the same problem but with several diffrent cards and drivers. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507324. Ive got a NVidia GTX 580 SLI setup and other ppl in the thread descibes the exact problem I have but with AMD cards. There are also several other threads that describes problems with displayport and monitors turned off.

This is clearly a windows fail and not a graphicscard bug since it works fine with HDMI which does not make the "new hardware detected" sound when you remove the monitor.

This needs to be fixed or atleast looked at. I cant really use my screen fully now (wanted to hook my PS3 via HDMI to the screen and my PC with DP as secondary monitor for the comp)

I can also add that I have the latest drivers for my GTX580 card (so dont ask me to update the drivers).

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Sorry, but this is not a Windows 7 problem.  This is a hardware problem.  Windows has no control over the ports.  The port is controlled by the video chip and the video driver.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:30 PM
  • ok then I change my question to the question in subject. How do I turn off the "auto detect removed monitor" functionality that W7 has (the one that moves all the applications from the removed screen to the still functioning screen)?

• Proposed as answer by Chocolate_LuvA Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Chocolate_LuvA Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Chocolate_LuvA Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Chocolate_LuvA Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:38 PM
  • This cheap and simple solution worked for me from:

http://www.monitordetectkiller.com

I was turning off my secondary monitor and all the windows would move to my other monitor..

Now it stopped:)

From what I see, there is no way to remove "auto detect" I think they want it like that.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Another thread mentioned to me to install the Monitor's drivers. This solved the issue for me as then Windows had a profile for my monitor and would keep it virtualized when I turned it off.

Michael Hawker

Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:40 AM