none
i am not able to play fortnite after updating to insider! RRS feed

• General discussion

• i have conteacted multiple times to the virtual agents of microsoft support and they have helped me out but the error comes again and again.

the error says "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropriate permission to access the item."

the error is not due to epic or fortnite issue, it is due to windows.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:54 PM

All replies

• Kindly go through the following Microsoft article:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

Go to the specific file or folder and do a right-click.
    Select Properties followed by Security.
    Choose the desired name from the Group or user names list to validate the permissions

Click on Edit, then checkmark the desired permissions and finally click OK.

Also make sure that the File location is not moved to elsewhere.

Sometimes using third party anti-virus tool may create such blocking so to unblock remove anti-virus app.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:13 AM
  • This has been happening to me as well, for the past 3ish months and its getting unbearably annoying. I think it's a BattleEye issue but I am not sure. If it your issue hasn't been fixed than close the epic games launcher (go into task manager and end the task in the "backround processes" section as well). Then go to the EpicInstaller in your folders and open it. then hit repair and wait. Once it is done doing everything launch the Epic Games Launcher and try to launch Fortnite. It might not work but if it does then you are set. Just do this every time this happens and pray for the best.
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:09 PM