NLA - Network Location Awareness problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an interesting problem with NLA which I hope you can help me with. It relates to the network connection name and the network policy that Window 7 enterprise gives the client.

My environment is mostly of which are Windows 7 and the servers Win 2008 R2.

Firstly, I notice that my PCs either display a network name of " domain.lcl" or "domain.lcl 2" or "unidentified network". Why are these different? Should they not all be the same as they logon to the same Win AD 2008 domain. What can I done to make sure that they all get the same name and the same firewall profile.

I have 2 DCs and currently using 3 subnets. The DCs are on the same subset as our servers. Clients are on all subnets.

The problem is across all subnets.

I would like to try to get a handle on this problem as I believe it also causes issues will the application of group policies as these are reliant on NLA.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Ron Rose

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:10 AM

All replies

• 

Hi Ron,

Based on my research, system needs to judge the current network profile/location when applying computer policies because some policies may depend on such information (e.g., Windows Firewall policies.); so, when it starts, it will wait for the NLA service. If the service does not work properly or it is conflicted, it may lead to this issue.

At this time, please try the following to have a check:

Clean boot

=================

1) Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2) Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3) Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4) Please ensure that NLA is not disabled.

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check the issue persists.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

In addition, for Network Location Awareness (NLA) information, I suggest you refer to the following blog:

Network Location Awareness (NLA) and how it relates to Windows Firewall Profiles

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles.aspx

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:11 AM
  • seriously, after i review the event log under Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkProfiles\Operational,

after counting the time which from "Waiting for Identification" to "Connected", i discover that is merely saying 0.5% of downtime, I don't think that is acceptable since i am connecting my home router directly with a Gigabit link in 1m Cat 6 cable, not WiFi.

That's makes me disable this service "Network Location Awareness" and "Network List Services" until Microsoft do some really fix on them.

There isn't any sense to kill your link then spend 5s to identify your network again for a few miss ping to gateway or your dns.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:36 AM