none
Slow Logoff: The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> took 63 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logoff). RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 64 bit in a domain and it's taking forever to log off.

The following message is generated in the event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
    Date:          21-4-2010 13:48:42
    Event ID:      6006
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:     
    Description:
    The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> took 63 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logoff).

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm what message can you read on the screen when logging off?

Genearlly, roaming profile logging off slowly can be caused by the following factors:

1. Roaming Profile size, you can right click the user profile folder to check the size of this roaming profile. Try to reduce and delete unnecessary data. 

2. Third party program blocks the roaming profile to be loaded. Try to perform a Clean Boot to see if the logon gets faster.

3. Group Policy settings blocks the user logon. Try to enabling the entry Hide and disable all items on the desktop under User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop in Local Group Policy Editor.

4. The roaming profile is damaged. Try to create a new account and manually copy data to the new one. For detailed steps, please refer to Fix a corrupted user proflie.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:52 AM
  • 1. My profile is 2.76 GB.

2. The problem is log off, not logon. Does clean boot still apply then?

3. When I enable Hide and disable all items on the desktop , it takes forever to log on (more than half an hour, after which I switched off the computer because it still said 'Welcome ... '

4. haven't tried this yet but I have some additional information that might help (three events):

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          22-4-2010 9:57:00
    Event ID:      1530
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:     
    Description:
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
     1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1810388328-4218931038-2860259147-1354:
    Process 3872 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1810388328-4218931038-2860259147-1354

Date:          22-4-2010 9:58:00
    Event ID:      6005
    Computer:     
    Description:
    The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logoff).

Date:          22-4-2010 9:58:16
    Event ID:      6006
    Computer:     
    Description:
    The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> took 76 second(s) to handle the notification event (Logoff).

Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like your roaming profile is large.

I would like to suggest you try to reduce the size of the roaming profile to check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 23, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I'm sorry, I was mistaken. My local profile is 2.6 gb, but my roaming profile is about 200 mb. is that too big?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Although the roaming profile is not large, you may still try to reduce it to check the result.

In addition, try to create a new roaming account to test the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:55 AM