none
Accessing data in .SWM files - Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am seeking advice on how to open a series of files created by performing a data backup of my hard drive (PC is an HP laptop).  The backup was performed using the backup command in the restore and backup section of control panel.  The files are named Backup.swm, with a number in ( ) from 1-9 following the word "backup".  The first .swm file has no number following "backup".  The naming of the files was done by the OS I assume.  Is there an application or program designed for this?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since .swm files are created by an HP backup tool, you need to check out the HP pages for instructions. Note also the value of backups is greatly reduced unless they are tested immediately after setting them up and then regularly once every few months.
    • Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Saturday, January 4, 2014 9:06 PM
    Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Thanks for the quick replies.  Ironically, I had already visited the HP support site and read the thread highlighted above, and attempted the fix using 7-zip.   Sadly, I can't find a site to download this or other suggested apps that (according to site-posted reviews) aren't infected with malware, viruses, browser-hijackers and the like, or that are from "untrusted publishers".  I contacted several computer repair companies regionally and offered to purchase this type of software to avoid the embedded stuff, but apparently that isn't an option.

Thanks as well for the tip regarding the extended value of the backed-up data over time.  The most-valued data I was backing up is not operation-critical, but is personal stuff like digital camera-created pictures and MS Word documents.

I am still looking for a trusted and clean source of software to use to manipulate the data in these swm files, probably in vain.  Not at all impressed with HP's product or support.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 9:38 PM
  • I am still looking for a trusted and clean source of software to use to manipulate the data in these swm files, probably in vain.  Not at all impressed with HP's product or support.
    If you want something that is free and works most of the time, use the native backup tool.

If you want something that is fully developed and has lots of features, use Acronis True Image. It costs money.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Forest,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I relied on the native backup tool, and that was a mistake, as it doesn't cleanly backup data that is not in certain default folders (it would be nice to see a reference to this shortfall in advance).  As far as Acronis True Image is concerned, I assume you mean this to be an alternative to HP's restore/backup commands in control panel.  As I previously mentioned, I would gladly pay to acquire a trustworthy application to manage the .SWM files that HP's tool created.  A caution in HP's instructions to the effect that -- the structure of the resultant backed-up data would be very difficult to work with -- would also be helpful.  You get what you pay for - another way of saying that free isn't worth much, when measured by performance.  My impression of their product and it's support remains - not at all satisfactory.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:11 AM
  • I would gladly pay to acquire a trustworthy application to manage the .SWM files that HP's tool created.
    Acronis True Image does not "manage" .SWM files. It is an application all of its own. The only thing that manages .SWM files is the HP application. It is your choice which option you select.
    Sunday, January 5, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

.swm is split wim file, see this:

Splitting an Image

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721885(v=ws.10).aspx

if you want to edit this splited image, you may still need use the image tool.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:06 AM