none
Windows 7 XP Mode vhd

Question

• Had a virus that came with an updated program that caused my system to crash.  Hired two experts to bring it back; one for the operating system and another to attempt to recover a vhd.  The first was successful, the second not.  I've researched everything I can find on how to re-open the vhd and nothing yet has worked.  The last message I received after many and many attempts:

Wiindows XP Mode could not be started because virtual hard disk-related error occurred.  This could be due to insufficient free space in the virtual hard disk file (no, I have plenty left), lack of write access to the directory that contains the virtual machine configuration file (? what do I look for here?) or missing parent disk for a differencing virtual hard dish.

Any ideas?  My real goal is to be able to extract files from the vhd and rebuild the XP Mode, then reloading the program and copying the extracted files to the new vhd.

Thanks for any help.

John 

Monday, April 8, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• There are two parts to the XP Mode VM.  The first is the default VHD with the OS installation.  There's a 2nd differencing VHD that contains all your info.  You need both of those VHDs, not just the one from your personal folder, i.e. the parent disk.  

In theory, you should be able to use a freshly installed XPMode VHD as the parent and regain your data...however, if this VHD is different than the original, your data is most likely lost.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2724115/how-to-retrieve-data-from-a-windows-xp-mode-virtual-machine-on-windows

Parent disk should be here: C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd

Disk with your data here:  %LocalAppData%/Microsoft/Windows Virtual PC/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Mode.vhd

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:47 PM