none
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2588516) fails on install RRS feed

• Question

• Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2588516) fails on install. There were about a dozen updates today and all worked, but this one. I am running Win7-64-bit Ultimate. I have restarted, ran the Fix-It apps and still no go. 
    Windows Update error 8007000D and also error 80240016 sometimes. 
    Suggestions?
    Thanks.

• Edited by aftigr Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• I am suffering from this too. Windows 7 64bit Home Basic
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Sir, you can fix the Windows Update Errors by these steps :

*Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then clickTroubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with WindowsUpdate.

After that try to check for Update again and Download the KB2588516 , also you can Download and install it Manually : 

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2588516) : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27902

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Already tried the "fix" option several time - no go.

I downloaded and ran the update manually and it did not finish and stated it was not for my system? I'm running Win 7 - 64 Bit Ultimate.

Does anyone know if this is for this version or not???

• Proposed as answer by bai kur Monday, November 14, 2011 1:00 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:39 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27893

I got this update and two other updates as well and my system (browsers, recycle bin, windows explorer and a few other programs) has been crashing every day since so i made this little check and as you can see obviously the update is for Vista users not Win7.

Hope microsoft would at least apologize over the mistake!

I just uninstalled the update, and hope that after restart everything will be back to normal.

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:04 PM
  • "bai kur" wrote in message news:d6072519-49eb-467d-a8ab-29852b63427b...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27893

I got this update and two other updates as well and my system (browsers, recycle bin, windows explorer and a few other programs) has been crashing every day since so i made this little check and as you can see obviously the update is for Vista users not Win7.

Hope microsoft would at least apologize over the mistake!

I just uninstalled the update, and hope that after restart everything will be back to normal.

The mistake is yours – the proper links can be got from here.
    and the actual download for Win 7 is here

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:16 PM
  • by "mistake" you mean i have made up my link? i find my link very proper and i believe if you follow it you can actually download an update :)

and besides i suggest people with the problem similar to or the same as above described to uninstall the update since my PC is feelin' 100% better now.

• Edited by bai kur Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:18 AM
  • "bai kur" wrote in message news:dc74e0e5-f346-46f6-b7a5-88412f93f0ff...

by "mistake" you mean i have made up my link? i find my link very proper and i believe if you follow it you can actually download an update :)

and besides i suggest people with the problem similar to or the same as above described to uninstall the update since my PC is feelin' 100% better now.

No – I mean that you went to the wrong place for the update.
    The links in the article I posted show the correct targets.
    You must have got yours from somewhere else, or googled it, and then gone to the wrong page.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, the failure error code is 0x80070308. This issue occurs if a Windows Update client or a Microsoft Update client cannot access the user token. Please try following steps to repair:

1. Close any Windows Update or Microsoft Update browser windows.
    2. Click Start, type Command Prompt, in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv
    4. Close the Command prompt window.
    5. Try to install updates again.

If the issue still occurs,  you may try to reset Windows Update Components:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

In case this problem persists, please collect the Windows Update log(%systemroot%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file), then upload it via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Either way, this update still will not run and states it is not applicable to my computer - Win7, 64-bit Ultimate.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I tried the start/stop and nothing changed. This morning I had 2 updates pending that would not run. After I ran the net start/stop the 1st update completed ok (Security Essentials update), but the 2nd update (original issue -  Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2588516)) still would not run successfully. 

I uploaded the CBS.log file here > https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b6da017c83e78dff&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=B6DA017C83E78DFF%21123

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:59 PM
  • "cutiger_2011" wrote in message news:4085be8d-f06e-4fcd-865b-c1913f295095...
    Either way, this update still will not run and states it is not applicable to my computer - Win7, 64-bit Ultimate.

SO WHY attem0pt to apply an update that is LABELLED as being wrong for your OS??

The idiot who started this accessed the wrong site
    YOU need to access the roper page in the KB listing....

and user the proper download link from there.
    NOT the one that he’s mistakenly complaining about, but the one that is right for YOUR system.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:01 PM