none
Windows 7 'Let Windows Choose' backup

Question

• I have Win7 Home Premium 64 bit and WLM

If I go to Start and open my Personal Folder I find 12 folders, one of which
    is AppData, which contains three folders namely Local, LocalLaw and Roaming.
    None of the contents of the latter three folders match my 'Storage Folders'
    files in WLM, which are stored in C:\Users\Emrys
    Davies\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.  Maybe the latter is
    hidden in my Personal Folder.  Is that so?

I just need to be reassured that the 'Let Windows Choose' backup will
    include my 'Storage Folders' which are in my message store. 

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Emrys,

I find the following description of “Let Windows Choose” option for Backup in Windows Help and Support. You can read that AppData folder will also be included.

“If you let Windows choose what is backed up, the following items are included in your backup:

Data files that are saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders for all people with a user account on the computer.

Notes:

Only local files in libraries are included in the backup. If you have files in a library that are saved on a drive located on a different computer on a network, on the Internet, on the same drive that you are saving the backup on, or on a drive that is not formatted using the NTFS file system, they aren't included in the backup.

Default Windows folders include AppData, Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Saved Games, and Searches.

If the drive you are saving your backup on is formatted using the NTFS file system and has enough disk space, a system image of your programs, Windows, and all drivers and registry settings are also included in the backup. This image can be used to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer stops working.”

I would like to confirm that do you mean some files in AppData folder cannot be backed up?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:21 AM