none
System Restore Issues

Question

• When trying to restore my system (had some buggy issues), I get the following message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. 

Details:
    System Restore failed to replace the file (C:\Windows) with its original copy from the restore point.  An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80071a90)"

---

So you know, I downloaded my copy of Win 7 upgrade so I do not have a physical disc.  Otherwise, I would reinstall Win 7.  Do I still have the ability to reinstall Win 7 from a downloaded student upgrade copy?  Alternatively, why am I receiving this error message -- how can I complete a system restore?

Thanks for any help!
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi nugatory,

Does the issue occur on other restore points?

If so, does the issue occur in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up)?

Some third party software such as security software will affect the System Restore. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please temporary disable the security software and see if the issue occurs. Also, you can test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists in Safe Mode, it is possible certain system components are corrupted. Please try SFC (System File Checker) by referring to this knowledge base (KB) article and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 09, 2009 1:49 AM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi nugator,

Does system restore fail for other restore points also? We have seen this issue when some anti-viruses and internet security softwares are present on the system. If this is the case , you can try System Restore from Safemode. Additionally, system restore is available from Windows Recovery Environment. To boot into recovery environment, you need to create system repair disc: Launch Backup & Restore Control Panel, on the left pane, click 'Create a system repair Disc'. Using this disc, you can boot into Windows Recovery Environment, select system restore. Let me know if this works.

In any case, please send me *.etl files under %systemdrive%\Windows\Logs at 'pravtiw-nospam[at]microsoft[dot]com'. Replace -nospam to get actual email id.

Thanks,
    Praveen
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi nugatory,

Does the issue occur on other restore points?

If so, does the issue occur in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up)?

Some third party software such as security software will affect the System Restore. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please temporary disable the security software and see if the issue occurs. Also, you can test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists in Safe Mode, it is possible certain system components are corrupted. Please try SFC (System File Checker) by referring to this knowledge base (KB) article and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, November 02, 2009 7:01 AM
  • You should have created a system image as well as a system repair disc as a alternative than using system restore
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi nugator,

Does system restore fail for other restore points also? We have seen this issue when some anti-viruses and internet security softwares are present on the system. If this is the case , you can try System Restore from Safemode. Additionally, system restore is available from Windows Recovery Environment. To boot into recovery environment, you need to create system repair disc: Launch Backup & Restore Control Panel, on the left pane, click 'Create a system repair Disc'. Using this disc, you can boot into Windows Recovery Environment, select system restore. Let me know if this works.

In any case, please send me *.etl files under %systemdrive%\Windows\Logs at 'pravtiw-nospam[at]microsoft[dot]com'. Replace -nospam to get actual email id.

Thanks,
    Praveen
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I have the EXACT same problems. It's extermely frustrating - as an IT consultant for 22 years, I've almost never had a computer problem I couldn't fix by myself. So, after trying to fix the problem, then trying to do system restore repeatedly, I finally bit the bullet and put my .etl files together to send to Praveen.

Whose email address no longer works.

If someone else at Microsoft is monitoring this thread...is there someone ELSE I can send to?

Thanks.

---pam

Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Linda-

I have the exact same problem. Praveen's email does not work any longer. I can not even get safe mode when I reboot my computer - no matter how long I press F8 (and Win7 Home Pro is my only OS on this machine).

I ran SFC, no problems at all.

How can I get help for this issue?

Thanks.

---pam pamelahowell somewhere near gmail

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:38 PM