none
Windows 7 and Webcams

General discussion

• Greetings All,

I am in the process of testing deployment of Windows 7 and Webcam functionality.  I have so far tested 3 different webcams, Logitech c905, Logitech Webcam 9000, and a RocketFish webcam.  All three exhibit the exact same problem.  I attempted to test webcam functionality with Trillian, Skype, and vendor specific software.  Windows 7 (x64) is able to identify each of the 3 webcams and install drivers for them using the generic webcam driver or a specific one from windows update, and no errors are generated during driver install.  Device Manager shows no errors or issues.  Now all programs that use the webcam from this point on can hear through the microphone on the webcam (there is no microphone on the notebook, Dell Precision M90) so we know the OS is communicating with the camera on some level, but all the programs either show the camera as unavailable or as a black box.

i have tried various cameras (about tempted to try a Microsoft webcam to see if this is a conspiracy), various softwares, drivers, compability modes, etc, and always get the same results.  One thing I always notice with all the webcams also is they always have their activity light come on for about 5 seconds after being plugged into the USB and then turn off never to be heard from again. 

The only lead I can even come up with is another forum mentioned that they found that turning the High Speed USB off on their laptop (1.1 Mode) solved the no video issue but obviously then limited bandwidth on the USB ports.  This unfortunately is not an option that I have in my BIOS, but I am about tempted to try to find an Express Card USB Controller to see if that will make a difference.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, names of good mental health professionals are welcome and appreciated. 

Doug

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I have two custom computers, one running RTM Windows 7 x64 and the other x86. Both use Gigabyte EP45-UDP3 motherboards running Intel E8500 and E8400 respectively. I have two Logitech Quick Cam Pro 5000's. Both systems downloaded drivers from Windows update and I installed the Logitech LWS100 application software on both. They both work fine except that some of the advance features, e.g face tracking, are not supported yet. They also work well with Yahoo messanger.
    I only post this to let you know that Windows 7 supports at least one older Webcam.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Greetings,

my Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX (3/4 years old) works in Win 7 x64 RTM using drivers from the Windows Catalog site.

Regards
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP hope my computer won't crash! ;)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:10 AM
  • miakayuuki,
    Logitech states that the Vista software will work. Check out the install instructions here.

Get the software here.

I would use the download method and install the Logitech software in compatibility mode for Vista SP2.  Uninstall everything that has to do with the webcam and start fresh.
    Re- Install all of the software using the compatibility method, including the Skype and other software.

Right-click the installer .exe file>select troubleshoot compatibility>let it work-Detecting issues>select troubleshoot program>check the top box"worked in a previous version..">select Vista SP2> and run it. Minimize or ignore the answer box until it has installed and you have tested it as working or not. The answer and settings are saved, so don't say yes or no.

This approach may help as you have had no success to this point. Of course, the vendors will catch up sometime after the GA Release Oct 22. with Win 7 software, as I am sure they here the roar of it doesn't work in Win 7.

Let us know the result.

PS-if you have the M90 working fine with Win 7, don't mess with it. It's not the computer. Dell Support lists it as compatible with Win 7.
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:45 AM
  • First, this issue can occur if some updates haven’t been installed. I recommend running Windows Update first and check the result.

Second, I agree with you that this issue related to the High Speed USB port. Let us know the result after checking via an Express Card USB Controller.

In addition, we can try troubleshooter in Win7 to narrow down the cause of the issue.

1. Click Start button, click Control Panel.
    2. Click System and Security.
    3. Click Action Center and click Troubleshooting.
    4. Please separately click "Programs", "Hardware and Sound", "Network and Internet", "Appearance and Personalization" and "System and Security" to fix the issue. Introductions will pop up and please just follow them.

I hope the above information is useful. :)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Hi Doug,

I had the same problem with trying out diff Webcams. None of them would work with Windows 7, was told there was a compatibility problem. So I finally tried a Microsoft camera- It works perfectly with my system-- It is a Microsoft LifeCam 1.4 -- NX-6000 - It may be worth trying that one Doug ? If you do , I hope it works for you as well.  Best wishes , Langy2.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem on win 7 x64. I have tryed 2 different webcams. A4tech and canyon. Skype tells - unknown error. AMCAP -  this graph cannot preview.  My web camera worked for some time, but then, after installing some programm (or game) this ____ started to happen. I've managed to get picture
    from web cam by using virtual dub programm. So windows is able to communicate with camera, but still in other programms it doesn't work. 

Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:27 PM
  • I have a Microsoft VX-2000 web cam, Windows 7 need LifeCam 3 software but it needs manual downloading and installation.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Hi,

I am going to be crazy. I also have problems with my webcams VX-2000.

I am trying to connect 2 webcams VX-2000 simultaneously to a PC for video surveillance.

Sometimes, and I don't know why, the preview in Microsoft Lifecam software is blank (black).

The only way to resolve this problem is to disconnect and reconnect the Webcam that is malfunctioning and then the preview displays the real image.

And after many time (I don't know how many: it seems to be a random problem) the problem is coming back and I am far away from the PC: I am connecting to it with Logmein, and with Logmein it is impossible to disconnect and reconnect the Webcam.

I have already tried all what I found on the net about this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933310

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953692

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmessengerdev/thread/c72b207d-69ac-4d55-b99b-757b84d207d8/

Nothing works for me.

I have tried on many configurations and the results are:

•           (Acer Aspire X3910) Pentium Dual Core E5800@3,20GHz + 4Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem is present
    •           (Acer Aspire X1920) Pentium Dual Core E6700@3,20GHz + 4Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem is present
    •           Pentium Dual Core E5500@2,80GHz + 2Go RAM + Win7 64 bits + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously – The Problem seems to be not present

I have many theories about this problem, tell me what seems possible to you or what do you think about my problem:

1-      The combinaison Win7 64 Bits + 4Go RAM + 2 Lifecam VX 2000 simultaneously is malfunctioning

2-      Acer PCs have some running programs that are the reason of this problem

3-      The USB Hub is not powered enough for 2 lifecams VX 2000 simultaneously

4-      The USB Hub has not enough bandwith for 2 lifecams VX 2000 simultaneously

Please, help me...

John T613

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:20 PM
  • good day i have A4TECH USB2.0 PC CAMERA the problem was i cannot use it in my google browser specially social network site it crash what should i do?
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:27 AM
  • On a clean install my VX-1000 and VX-2000 are both recognized fine. Windows update was able to find the software.

The evidence here suggests its time to backup and install Windows fresh. I do this all the time but I use virtual machines for testing so they are more easily expendable.

My server is just another application at the end of the day.

Make it a policy to mechanize backups, I can explain how if you need assistance

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:00 PM