none
Windows Explorer buggy RRS feed

• Question

• Since the last group of updates parts of Windows Explorer have become non-responsive. When I click the New Folder Button, nothing happens.  Before I would get the New Folder dialog box. Note the New folder button is highlighted after being clicked.

When I go up a folder, and then return to this folder, New Folder exists, but I was not given a chance to name it.

When I right click it and try to rename it, sometimes only part of my typing works, and then I have to again go up a folder, and then back to this one, to see the results.

How do I resolve?

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:39 PM

Answers

• When I right click it and try to rename it, sometimes only part of my typing works, and then I have to again go up a folder, and then back to this one, to see the results.

Looks like you have an interferer active that steals focus.  AutoRuns may help give you a list and work systematically with it to try to identify the cause.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Don K K Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:38 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:57 AM
  • Robert, I did run Autoruns, but nothing stood out.  I then uninstalled a recent program from Google, Backup and Sync. I tried the New Folder button again and this time it worked as before.  I did not test it before uninstalling the program, so I may not be 100% sure, but most likely that uninstall did the trick.  Thanks for your suggestion!

D

Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:38 PM

All replies

• When I right click it and try to rename it, sometimes only part of my typing works, and then I have to again go up a folder, and then back to this one, to see the results.

Looks like you have an interferer active that steals focus.  AutoRuns may help give you a list and work systematically with it to try to identify the cause.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

You can also try running the System File Checker and clean boot and check the result.

In addition, you can also refer to the following article and check if it can help you.

Windows File Explorer crashes, freezes or has stopped working

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-explorer-crashes-freezes

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Hello,

Please uninstall the third-party software (if exists) on your system and run SFC /SCANNOW command at administrative Command Prompt and see if that helps.

Hope this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:18 AM
  • I am not sure which third party software you are referring to, but I did run sfc in admin mode and it found no issues.

Thanks for your time.

D

Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Robert, I did run Autoruns, but nothing stood out.  I then uninstalled a recent program from Google, Backup and Sync. I tried the New Folder button again and this time it worked as before.  I did not test it before uninstalling the program, so I may not be 100% sure, but most likely that uninstall did the trick.  Thanks for your suggestion!

D

Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:38 PM
  • Thanks for your time.  I think if I hadn't uninstalled Google Backup and Sync I would next have run Windows in clean boot mode, and eventually found the problem.

D

Saturday, July 21, 2018 9:40 PM