none
How do I deactivate Windows 8?

Question

• I've installed windows 8 RTM on a machine using my TechNet key.

I now wish to remove the installation from that PC and install it on different hardware.

How do I go about deactivating / removing from the first machine so that I can re-use the same key on the second machine?

I have searched TechNet forums, TechNet in genial and google for 'Windows 8 Deactivate' but have found no instructions.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

• This will uninstall your key, but I would advise not doing that.  It is my understanding that once activated via MAK you cannot transfer it, you will simply lose one MAKtivation , out of 20 activations for the lowest tier. 

But on a happy note, you should be able to install on your other machine without de-activating the first, in fact you should have about 19 more activations on your key.

slmgr /upk

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

You can use slmgr.vbs /upk to uninstall product key on a computer, but I am not sure whether you can install it on another computer then. For this question, You'd better to make a call to Microsoft Support for help.

Http://support.microsoft.com

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:05 AM
  • If you used one of your Technet Pro/Core keys, each of them has 10 activations, and if you like you can use the same key at 10 computers at the same time. Deactivating it do not work, you have still used up one activation on your key.

If you used your Technet Pro Win8 Enterprise key you have a total of 20 activations, so you can use that key on 20 different computers at the same time.

Since you get so few keys/activations on Technet you have to be careful of when you activate a key. You will not get any more keys/activations without buying a new account.

Kenneth Myhre

http://myhken.com/

Monday, September 03, 2012 11:37 AM

All replies

• This will uninstall your key, but I would advise not doing that.  It is my understanding that once activated via MAK you cannot transfer it, you will simply lose one MAKtivation , out of 20 activations for the lowest tier. 

But on a happy note, you should be able to install on your other machine without de-activating the first, in fact you should have about 19 more activations on your key.

slmgr /upk

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:57 AM
  • I don't think you can, but if you reach your limit, you should be able to call the activation hotline and activate that way.
    Saturday, September 01, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

You can use slmgr.vbs /upk to uninstall product key on a computer, but I am not sure whether you can install it on another computer then. For this question, You'd better to make a call to Microsoft Support for help.

Http://support.microsoft.com

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:05 AM
  • If you used one of your Technet Pro/Core keys, each of them has 10 activations, and if you like you can use the same key at 10 computers at the same time. Deactivating it do not work, you have still used up one activation on your key.

If you used your Technet Pro Win8 Enterprise key you have a total of 20 activations, so you can use that key on 20 different computers at the same time.

Since you get so few keys/activations on Technet you have to be careful of when you activate a key. You will not get any more keys/activations without buying a new account.

Kenneth Myhre

http://myhken.com/

Monday, September 03, 2012 11:37 AM