none
Windows 7 Supported Motherboard

Question

• Hi,

My current System Configuration
    Motherboard - Intel DG965RY - Support discontinued from Intel
    RAM : 1 GB Ram : DDR2 : Rated FSB - 799.2 MHz
    Bus Speed : 199.8 MHz
    Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz ; Intel Pentium D 925 ;  Code Name - Presler, Socket 775 LGA,
    Cabinet : Micro ATX
    Graphics Card ; NVidia 8800GT

Current Requirements for the new motherboard
    Windows 7 Supporting mother board from Intel or Other manufacturers. The current DG965RY does not have supporting drivers for Windows 7 OS.
    I want to use the same Intel Dual Core Processor, RAM, Graphics Card and ATX Cabinet for the new motherboard
    64 Bit Support
    Support for 8 GB RAM Max

Along with this I need clarification on what are the supported ATX type motherboards that suits my current Micro ATX CPU - Will miniATX, uATX, ATX etc supports my current cabinet?

And if the new motherboard has different configuration like different ATX, different Bus Type, different System Bus, different Form factor, different Socket with my old other components like Processor, RAM, Cabinet, Graphics Card, will the system function properly again?

Could you give the model numbers of the desktop mother board with Intel and other manufacturers of any Series type, i mean Executive, Classic, Essential or any other without any blocks for Windows 7.

Or should I go for complete CPU replacement?? for just Windows 7??

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Regards,

Praveen
    Regards, Praveen
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

My current System Configuration
    Motherboard - Intel DG965RY - Support discontinued from Intel
    RAM : 1 GB Ram : DDR2 : Rated FSB - 799.2 MHz
    Bus Speed : 199.8 MHz
    Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz ; Intel Pentium D 925 ;  Code Name - Presler, Socket 775 LGA,
    Cabinet : Micro ATX
    Graphics Card ; NVidia 8800GT

Current Requirements for the new motherboard
    Windows 7 Supporting mother board from Intel or Other manufacturers. The current DG965RY does not have supporting drivers for Windows 7 OS.
    I want to use the same Intel Dual Core Processor, RAM, Graphics Card and ATX Cabinet for the new motherboard
    64 Bit Support
    Support for 8 GB RAM Max

Along with this I need clarification on what are the supported ATX type motherboards that suits my current Micro ATX CPU - Will miniATX, uATX, ATX etc supports my current cabinet?

And if the new motherboard has different configuration like different ATX, different Bus Type, different System Bus, different Form factor, different Socket with my old other components like Processor, RAM, Cabinet, Graphics Card, will the system function properly again?

Could you give the model numbers of the desktop mother board with Intel and other manufacturers of any Series type, i mean Executive, Classic, Essential or any other without any blocks for Windows 7.

Or should I go for complete CPU replacement?? for just Windows 7??

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Regards,

Praveen
    Regards, Praveen

Actually I need the specific model number so that I can easily identify it. Also my budget range is max 5000 rupees. And I don't want to change for atleast 5 years.

Thanks
    Regards, Praveen
    Monday, March 01, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Praveen this is not the place to look for info like you need.

Your CPU is outdated, if you really want to reuse the old parts you need to find a local computer shop to go to, even if we tell you about a motherboard there is no guarantee you could find the board where you are.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I'm not accustomed to dealing in rupees, but I see that at the current exchange rate, that's approximately $108US. Unless prices in India are much lower than those in the US, you won't get a lot of future-proofing for those funds.

(Incidentally, uATX is really µATX, short for microATX. Greek letter mu, not the Roman u.)

I don't think that you need to change out your board and CPU to use Win7. The Pentium D 925 even supports the 64 bit instructions. There are essentially no Win7 drivers for it (except for the Intel chipset utility), but the Vista drivers ought to serve. You may need to employ some work-arounds to get them to install under Win7, but I'd expect them to work. Windows Update may also provide a lot of support. Intel isn't doing further development for that board, but many people are running Win7 on older hardware than that. I haven't run Win7 on a 965-based system, but I'm pretty sure that it's not uncommon.

About the only hardware investment I'd suggest is increasing the RAM to 2GB. You can run Windows 7 (at least, the 32 bit version) on 1GB, but 2GB may be better.

Good luck.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Altough the hardware is not recent , Microsoft includes all needed drivers in Windows 7.  You should be able to install and update Windows 7 without a problem on this machine.
    Intel does even provide update drivers for the mainboard, so I wouldn't bother too much about the "End of interactive support announcement " which merely says you are out of warranty...
    if still in doubt, check the HCL (Hardware compatibility List) for Windows 7: your motherboard is listed there!!!

If you really would like to spend some mony on it to enhance the performance, consider upgrading the RAM like bobkn stated

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your valuable information.

With current configuration I have installed Windows 7 and within 10 mins of system start, it abruptly freezes and I have to switch off and restart the computer. This happens everytime.

My priority is I want to change motherboard and as well as use the old RAM, Processor, Graphics card and Cabinet without problems with Windows 7 support.

To my knowledge, the conditions for new motherboard are
    1. It should be Socket 775 LGA
    2. RAM FSB to support 799.2 MHz may be I am not sure.
    3. Support for Pentium D 925 model
    4. Suits to Micro ATX Cabinet

Is there anything I have left out here for this?

My Preferences
    1. 8GB RAM preferrably DDR3 1333

Regards, Praveen
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Hi Praveen,

Regarding the issue of the system freeze, please boot the system to Clean Boot and have a check:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If you want to buy some new hardware which is compatible with Windows 7, I would like to share the following resource with you for your reference:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Hi Praveen,
    If you still have the computer with Windows 7 installed, try this Vista version of the Management Engine Interface from Intel. 64-bit, yes?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=10895&lang=eng

If other drivers are needed, use the Vista version.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

It is good to hear that my motherboard is listed in Hardware Compatibility list and even for 64 bit version.

This time I tried to install it in VPC 2007 just to check it again with Windows 7. I could not install Vista Drivers or the other software mentioned in the above link. It says Operating System not supported. 

Is it a good way to install Windows Vista OS first and install all its motherboard drivers and then try upgrading to Windows 7 instead of clean install?

I ran Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor also and the report says my system is not having any problems with 32 bit and 64 bit. 

Will it actually work this way?

Regards, Praveen
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi Praveen,
    I would recommend a clean (new) installation of Windows 7. There are many resources here at TechNet or the Windows 7 home page to guide you to migrate your data. Install your applications separately.

You may not need device drivers-only some motherboard drivers.

You could also create a system image of your Vista system to another disk. Then you could restore it if you are not satisfied with the Windows 7 installation.
    Vista Help and Support>search backups>complete system backup.

• Edited by Nano Warp Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:55 AM add info
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:51 AM