none
Windows DVD Maker error "an error occurred when burning the dvd" Help?

Question

• Hi folks.  I'm trying to create a DVD with a bunch of WMVs but I get this error shortly after encoding begins.  Just using a standard template with a background audio file (wav) and burning to double layer.  Help?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the Windows 7 codec pack as below:

http://www.codecguide.com/

In addition, you may want to try Windows Media Encoder, here is the step:

1.  Download it from the following link:

Windows Media Encoder

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en

Install program under compatibility mode & Administrator level

=================

1. Right click on the installation file and click Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”

4. Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5. Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6. Click Apply, click OK.

2. Open Windows Media Encoder. On the New Session screen, choose Convert a file.

3. On the File Selection screen.browse to the .wmv Source File you wish to burn.

4. Follow the on-screen wizard to burn this file to the CD/DVD.

Does it work?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:14 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to know if you can burn DVD using other files.

This error can be caused by the file size. I suggest use less WMV file to test it.

In addition, please try the following steps:

1. In Windows DVD maker, click Options

2. In the Temporary file location, click Browse button, select the new folder location, and then click OK.

For the best results when choosing a temporary file location, choose a folder on a hard disk drive partition that has at least 5 gigabytes (GB) of available disk space and a fast write speed.

3. You can also change the DVD burner speed to another speed.

4. Click OK.

If the issue persists, please update your video card and BIOS to the latest version.

If it does not work, try Clean Boot mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:18 AM
  • I was able to burn some AVI files but these wmv files will not work.  How can I fix this?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if you performed my previous suggestions. Look forward to your update.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Yes I did the following:

1. added less files to the disc
    2. change burn speed to medium
    3. Temp file location has over 30 GB available
    4. Video and bios are at latest

It doesn't seem to be a problem with burning.  It never makes it to the burning part.  It starts encoding, then fails.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

You can try the Windows 7 codec pack as below:

http://www.codecguide.com/

In addition, you may want to try Windows Media Encoder, here is the step:

1.  Download it from the following link:

Windows Media Encoder

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en

Install program under compatibility mode & Administrator level

=================

1. Right click on the installation file and click Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”

4. Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5. Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6. Click Apply, click OK.

2. Open Windows Media Encoder. On the New Session screen, choose Convert a file.

3. On the File Selection screen.browse to the .wmv Source File you wish to burn.

4. Follow the on-screen wizard to burn this file to the CD/DVD.

Does it work?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:14 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:38 AM
  • <form id="aspnetForm" action="edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">
    <input id="__EVENTTARGET" name="__EVENTTARGET" type="hidden" /> <input id="__EVENTARGUMENT" name="__EVENTARGUMENT" type="hidden" /> <input id="__VIEWSTATE" name="__VIEWSTATE" type="hidden" value="/wEPDwULLTEzNzk0MzkwMDlkZEMpty7R2lukRYyoGDAFiw9m2frw" />
    <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> </form>
    Resources for IT Professionals

<form action="/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/5a91b210-65ca-448b-82a9-ad8dbe8df782/391262be-b9ec-40ef-95b6-99c7d4802c97/edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">

Edit Message

<textarea cols="100" rows="20" name="body"><p>I have not tried the clean boot mode, but each time it is set, the computer actually has to be turned off again to accept the changes. I suppose that means I'd have to do this every time&nbsp;I want&nbsp;to burn a DVD. Unaccaptable.</p> <p>this thing worked fine with XP......it actually was one of the few things that worked with Vista....and now you go and break it.</p> <p>If it is a filter problem...what kinds of filters are being installed now that weren't being installed&nbsp;in the past?&nbsp;</p> <p>GOD, I wish you people at MICROCRAP could get just ONE freaking thing to work right without all this freaking hassle........with each &quot;upgrade&quot; to windows I have to keep thowing stuff that worked perfect out.</p> <p>First, the thumbnail view of my videos doesn't work (please don't tell me to go to organize/only show icons never thumbnails, for that is&nbsp;is like asking me if the computer is turned on) It simply doesn't work and MICROCRAP knows it and chooses to do nothing except tell people it "might" be that check box.</ <p>I am viewing these forums nearly EVERY DAY becuase something that used to work fine...no longer does.</p> <p>PLEASE....PLEASE....I beg you people at microsoft to please get ONE thing to work right.</p> <p>G.. DA.. I wish I bought apple.&nbsp;</p></textarea>
    <label for="hasCode">Resource.HasCodeLabel</label><input name="hasCode" type="checkbox" value="true" /> <label for="reason">Reason</label><input name="reason" type="text" />
    <input title="Submit" type="submit" value="Submit" />
    </form>
    <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <noscript></noscript> <noscript></noscript>
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:36 AM
  • This is how bad Microcrap is......I go to edit the above message...and the resubmission comes out with all this script garbage.

Of the hundreds of forums I have submitted and then edited,....leave it to microsoft to have aforum that f...ks that up as well.

to recap the post that has all the jargon......the DVD maker is worthless...they feed you ____ about how easy it is to use and then you find out that all the filters are "not compatable".

What was microcrap doing with XP that made all the features actually work ....with.....the filters?????

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:48 AM
  • I thought this was a "WINDOWS 7" forum".......you're advice to download the windows media encoder is for XP...and the link specifically says the encoder is NOT.......

I repeat,

NOT supported for windows 7..

Vivian, thanks for no help.....obviously you must work for microsoft, which means the only real fix to this problem is to buy apple next time.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Yeah you can close this. This program is garbage.  I gave up long ago.  
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I had about 100 videos in various formats (xvid, divx, mpg) with the same error (encoding reached ~0.6%) so I first tried Shark007's Windows 7 codec pack with no luck. Then I installed MediaCoder (freeware!) and used it to convert all of my videos into a common format. I used h.264 for the video stream, mp3 for the audio stream and AVI for the container and lo and behold, I was able to burn the DVD! Thankfully, MediaCoder does a great job of batching the transcoding jobs or else that would have taken absolutely forever.

Great tool Microsoft, but it would be great to have better transcoding support built-in..

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:51 PM