none
Dashboard crashes repeatedly - not clear why...

Question

• I haven't touched my server in a long time besides applying updates and Plex.  For some reason, the last two weeks the dashboard has been crashing / will not stay open. 

Anyone know why this may be occurring?

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To open the Dashboard in Safe mode:
    In the Search pane, type safe, and then click Dashboard (Safe mode) in the search result.

If it successfully opens, try to narrow down this problem via disable/enable add-ins one-by-one to determine which add-in is causing the issue:
    Dashboard – Help – Safe mode settings

Besides, restart the server in clean boot to identify whether it is affect by any third party process. And, try to un-install update which is installed recently to confirm the result.

If the problem persists, any error mentioned when failed to open? Check Event Viewer and check to see if any event has been logged.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 12, 2016 6:06 AM
  • Hi Eve.  The only errors I see are below.  The first one is .NET error and I noticed that on the 2nd there was an update to .NET Framework 4.6.1 - I wonder if this is the reason?

Application: Dashboard.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
       at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight(System.Drawing.Graphics)
       at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
       at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
       at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.get_PreferredHeight()
       at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.AdjustHeight(Boolean)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailItemControl.OnFontChanged(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Font(System.Drawing.Font)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.OnCreateItemControls(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailItem, System.Windows.Forms.Control)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.AddDetailsGroup(Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsGroup)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.ReinitializeGroups()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.OnLayout(System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PerformLayout(System.Windows.Forms.LayoutEventArgs)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsPane.EndUpdate()
       at System.Collections.CollectionBase.Clear()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Controls.Details.DetailsView.DetailsWorkComplete(System.Object, Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Forms.Work.WorkCompleteArgs)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
       at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Dashboard.Program.Main(System.String[])

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Dashboard.exe
    P2: 6.3.9600.17393
    P3: 54333ee9
    P4: KERNELBASE.dll
    P5: 6.3.9600.18202
    P6: 569e7eb1
    P7: c000041d
    P8: 0000000000008a5c
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Dashboard.exe_32bb1f143d3498355d37b073662d6cf412839037_53c62ad8_476201df

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: b729ac42-d17e-11e5-8123-e03f49ea288d
    Report Status: 2048
    Hashed bucket: 

Friday, February 12, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Hi AndyD77, I was curious whether you've been able to resolve this issue?  I too am experiencing the exact same error on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 server.  I typically Remote Desktop into the box to update Plex Media Server similar to you.  I have the latest drivers installed on the server -- am doubtful that was an issue anyway.

However when I RDP into the server and launch the Dashboard, it runs fine for an unspecified amount of time until it suddenly closes (crashes).  The Event Viewer should the exact error message you've reported above.  I can then re-launch the Dashboard and the same result will occur minutes later.

Glad I'm not the only one.  Please keep me posted.  Thanks.

Monday, February 22, 2016 2:57 AM
  • Hi Miles.  No I haven't been able to.  I thought switching to Chrome would help and it seemed like it did at first but finally crashed a little later.

Question - are you using PlexPy?  I am and if you're not then that is ruled out.

• Edited by AndyD77 Monday, February 22, 2016 12:30 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 3:35 AM
  • No, I am just using the standard Windows Plex Media Server installer on my server.  I don't believe this issue is related to Plex in any way.

Am in the process of trying to rollback this .NET Framework 4.6.1 update as mentioned here to see whether it helps in any way:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2016/02/10/on-net-framework-4-6-1-and-exchange-compatibility.aspx

Am convinced it was somehow tied to a recent Windows Update.  Surely we can't be the only ones experiencing this issue.  This thread should be lighting up!

Monday, February 22, 2016 3:41 AM
  • Let me know how that goes.

As far as it affecting others, I posted at Plex's forum too...

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1133603#Comment_1133603

But no one else has mentioned that they have issues - just people trying to help.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:54 AM
  • So far, after rolling back the NET Framework 4.6.1 update, rebooting, and installing the subsequent 2 updates for NET Framework 4.5.2, it's the longest my Dashboard has remained open on the server. Am going to check again in the morning and will echo back. Also, if you're not already a member, I would highly suggest joining the www.homeservershow.com web forum. They are the most dedicated home server enthusiasts on the Internet.
    • Proposed as answer by miles267 Monday, February 22, 2016 12:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by miles267 Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:01 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 5:27 AM
  • Confirming the fix above resolves this issue. Rollback the recent framework 4.6.1 update and apply the 2 available 4.5.2 updates as instructed. My Dashboard stayed open overnight without issue. Hope it works for you also.
    • Proposed as answer by miles267 Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:01 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Ah ok cool.  So hopefully MS takes notice of this thread and looks into the issue

And thanks for pointing out the website - I typically check out wegotserved or thegreenbutton for HTPC type stuff

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

To open the Dashboard in Safe mode:
    In the Search pane, type safe, and then click Dashboard (Safe mode) in the search result.

If it successfully opens, try to narrow down this problem via disable/enable add-ins one-by-one to determine which add-in is causing the issue:
    Dashboard – Help – Safe mode settings

Besides, restart the server in clean boot to identify whether it is affect by any third party process. And, try to un-install update which is installed recently to confirm the result.

If the problem persists, any error mentioned when failed to open? Check Event Viewer and check to see if any event has been logged.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

It would be great if someone can comment as it is pretty clear now that the latest .Net update is what has led to this issue

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:03 PM
  • I am pretty sure they are aware of this and working on it.  That is the dashboard crashing in an RDP session.  If anyone is actually sitting at the Server with a monitor attached and having a problem let me know.

Grey

Saturday, February 27, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Thanks Grey.  Yeah, I'm just remoting in though I can try this locally with a monitor if it's helpful to know
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:25 PM
  • No rush, but whenever you are near the machine you might click around and see what happens.  In RDP it seems like when it sits and I come back.  But I may be coming back to a new rdp session as well.

Grey

Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Its happening here. Same error in eventvwr...
    Friday, April 08, 2016 8:15 AM
  • I am getting the same error message in the event viewer.  Trying to dashboard remote desktop domain name setup.  This is happening on my WHS 2011.  Thank you.
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Has MS fixed this issue yet in WSE12R2?  I hate that you have to rollback to earlier version, and perhaps less secure version, of .NET framework to prevent the Dashboard from routinely crashing.
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 3:11 PM
  • I like how this issue was never fixed even though MS confirmed there is an issue and now support for 2012 Server Essentials is terminated
    Friday, January 20, 2017 1:10 PM