none
Windows Image Backup - Don't have permission to access this folder RRS feed

• Question

• I've created an Image Back Up; however, when I review the folder created it denies access to the folder "You don't currenlty have permission to access this folder". 

Questions 

1) I could change the ownership of this folder, but I'm not sure who I should change this to or if this is even required.  Should it be: 

Administrators (PC Name\Administrators)
    OR
    ME (PC Name\ME) 

Currently, The admin, and backup Operators have access to this folder and it still states, "You don't currenlty have permission to access this folder". 

I'm concerned that if I do need to perform a system back up, Windows will have an issue with the permission rights to reinstall Windows. 

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• You normally restore an image by booting the machine into Repair Mode. In that mode you will not have any problems with access permissions.

You can modify the permissions of the image folder if you wish by giving full access to the Administrators group and the System account.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

I just would like to confirm this question:

Did you mean the Backup still failed with access denied error?

If so, I suggest you use Process Monitor to capture the system events during you repro this issue:

Process Monitor v3.05
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Solving Access Denied Errors Using Process Monitor
    http://improve.dk/solving-access-denied-errors-using-process-monitor/

How to use, please refer to this article:

Using Process Monitor to capture system events
    http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/119038.aspx

You can also post back the saved pml file saved from process monitor and let's check it together to find the root cause.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:53 AM
    Owner
  • In Windows 10, version 1607 already applied,  having a great deal of difficulty properly seeing Images to restore from the recovery console.

-- System has: 
    SSD with drive C:, Windows recovery, Factory Image, EFI partition
    DataDrive internal D: With Images created when running as admin

Optionally, an External E:, which has Drive Images done from this PC and other PCs, which also has F: partition, created solely so we could resume seeing images that ALL disappeared from being visible on ANY PC from ImageBackup restore.

FROM recovery Console:
    ALL images from the external drive may be chosen to restore from
    Only a few images that were taken on Drive D:, on the internal drive, may be restored.  Even images that ARE STILL available of the External Drive E:, are NOT available when copied to D:\WindowsImageBackup\ folder

PROBLEM --- >>  CREATOR OWNER it appears MUST have FULL permissions on that Image backup folder, or the restore program will NOT see it.  All the other permissions are identical on all the other files and folders.  Even as admin, I cannot SET the permissions on that root image folder, but I can set it on all the Children in that folder.

It appears these permissions are set when a backup is done, and therefore, CREATOR OWNER is defined at that time.  I can't set it when running in Windows as admin, since I am not running as SYSTEM.  I'm going to use ICACLS.exe when in recovery console CMD to try to apply these permissions from there.  

It appears your advice to simply provide full ADMIN and SYSTEM rights to all the files and folders is NOT sufficient to make an Image backup appear when on a local data volume!  I have all these full rights, and the BO (Backup Operator or Admin), rights are there as well.  

When running the image restore program from the recovery console, you must log into an existing admin account, so I'm now NOT running as system, but presumably as that user/admin, and these are the rights that were used when doing a backup, and so these are the rights that allow restore.

HOW can I SET the rights to an Image backup so it will restore, REGARDLESS of what the files and folders' permissions are set to?

Monday, September 19, 2016 11:01 PM
  • This thread was answered two years ago. I recommend you start a thread of your own.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:44 AM
  • OK --- thanks --- I'm doing more work on this today, and I will edit more and report any changes and additions.  But, I will do so in a new thread, (and likely just add a stub to the new post).
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:53 PM
  •   

It appears your advice to simply provide full ADMIN and SYSTEM rights to all the files and folders is NOT sufficient to make an Image backup appear when on a local data volume!  I have all these full rights, and the BO (Backup Operator or Admin), rights are there as well.  

When running the image restore program from the recovery console, you must log into an existing admin account, so I'm now NOT running as system, but presumably as that user/admin, and these are the rights that were used when doing a backup, and so these are the rights that allow restore.

HOW can I SET the rights to an Image backup so it will restore, REGARDLESS of what the files and folders' permissions are set to?

Hi, I would like to know if you made any progress on this.
    Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:27 AM