none
Copy + Paste (Clipboard) Issues / Not Working?

Question

• I'm having an issue with copy + paste under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit; this is a widely reported issue but I can't find a fix.

After a random interval of time, I go to copy and paste and it won''t work under Windows 7. I'll check some VMs - it will work inside the vm - but then that will eventually stop too.

I've checked for viruses etc and it's very odd. Either using the mouse or keyboard to "copy + paste" doesn't work. I've cleared the clipboard etc to no avail.

Is there a permanent fix for this? Windows updates doesn't seem to do the trick either, I was hoping it would be patched.

Some days I go fine as well, I can't pin point it exactly, but I'm sure something is preventing the commands and it's not actually the clipboard that is the problem.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Katatonic,

First, please test if the issue occurs in Notepad. If the issue occurs in Notepad and other applications, or cannot copy or paste files and folders either, please try the suggestions below to check this issue. Otherwise, if the issue only occurs in the clipboard you mentioned, please provide the exact name of the product.

When did the issue first occur? If the issue first occurred recently, please check if the issue can be resolved by System Restore.

If the issue persists, run System File Checker tool to troubleshoot this issue:

1.     Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.     At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information, please refer to this Knowledge Base article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:36 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Katatonic,

First, please test if the issue occurs in Notepad. If the issue occurs in Notepad and other applications, or cannot copy or paste files and folders either, please try the suggestions below to check this issue. Otherwise, if the issue only occurs in the clipboard you mentioned, please provide the exact name of the product.

When did the issue first occur? If the issue first occurred recently, please check if the issue can be resolved by System Restore.

If the issue persists, run System File Checker tool to troubleshoot this issue:

1.     Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.     At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information, please refer to this Knowledge Base article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:36 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Hi Linda,

I've run sfc /scannow and found no problems, what now?

I am running Windows 7 / Vista Home Premium and now copy/paste does not work in ANY application (NotePad, Word, Excel, several browsers, email, etc.) I have reviewed some hundred forum postings and nothing. Many of these are very old forum threads for various products... Shame on Microsoft!

Some replies by MSFT support engineers have suggested restoring to a prior point and one even suggesting a Windows re-install. But no-way, those are simply a 'shot-in-the-dark'. If necessary please escalate this problem/inquiry as necessary - Please!

Quite a few of the forum discussions pertain to IE, even suspecting that problems between IE & Vista are the root cause of the problem. Well, I use IE8 and have already gone to control Panel/Security, restored to original settings and made sure that  'Allow copy... drag drop' (or something like that) was enabled. Also deleted the Temp files and restarted IE. I also tried ctrl/C & ctrl/V to copy paste and nothing ever works. When I highlight the text and right-click to copy (or Edit/copy) it appears to copy, but PASTE is always greyed-out.

What else can I try? Using my new laptop without copy/paste is driving me nuts and I expect Microsoft will tell me how to fix it.

Thank you,

Tom

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:40 AM
  • so, did you fnd a fix for this? i had for reinstall my systen last night and now my copy/pate won't work on webpages in general, but WILL work in notepad andin yahoo mail. i can right click and highlight text, but when i go to copy it the option isn't even LISTED! not copy, cut, or paste-they are gone. yet there is this gigantic option menc from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen with every weird thing, like "check your spelling?" etc. WTF? i ran in safe mode and still had the problem so it's not my extentions or plugins. my firefox and all extentions and addons are up tp date, there NO malware according to four different prolems, and right now i'm just stumped. tried that ladies supposed "clipbard chain" download and all if said was "cannot find wfclip." "cannot find wf shell". seriously?  am i going to have to sit here and go through the ENTIRE registry in order to find them? i have had this computer for TWO MONTH and it had blownup twice!  i just got a bad pc where the op system was incorrectly installed from the get go, but apparantly it's not best buy's problem, it's not hp's problem, and it's not microsoft's problem. Anyone? Seriously, i REALLY need some help here and thank you in advance!
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I have the same problem - Just randomly the copy/paste stops working - the symtom I have noticed is that it pastes NULL ... in other words, when I click on a selection to paste over it, it basically pastes null, and erases the selection. It pastes, but has memory loss  :-)

I am using Windows 7 ultimate.

I have tried the Copy Paste with every application from IE and Word, to notepad and command line and the behavior is the same ...

If I reboot, the problem will go away until next time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bahram

Bahram
    • Edited by Bahram Saghari Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:41 PM Added one more line.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:40 PM
  • I'm having the same problem running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

It's intermittent and goes away after reboot.

I'm trying to cut/paste a little bit of text between notepad and DOS windows within RDP.

Very annoying.  My XP never had this problem.

• Proposed as answer by C1LL13R5 Tuesday, January 04, 2011 1:09 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Katatonic,    I have questions

1. Did I hear you say that the problem goes away on reboot?
    2. Take a look at the usage of your memory when you cant copy/paste. is it extremely high?

I ask this because my machine does this on occasion when memory avaibalility is low.

Troy

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:39 PM
  • This is an old problem.  It has been around since pre2004, and microsoft is well aware of it.  The cause is tied to MS Office as well as the OS.  It usually occurs during Remote desktop sessions, and the problem is on the remote machine.  The best solution I have found is to pull up task man, end the process rdpclip.exe, and then restart it by first changing focus from task manager to another program and back to task manager, choose file>new task (run) and then typing in rdpclip.exe and hit enter.  The remote clip service will restart, and usually the copy you wanted to paste immediately becomes available.

If you fail to change focus from Task Manager to another program and back you may find the remote session locks up.  If so, don't panic, simply end the remote session and begin a new one.

In case you don't know how to access task manager on the remote machine (CTRL ALT DELETE is always to the local machine), simply right click on the task bar and choose it from the context menu.

I would have thought by win7 this would have been fixed, but I am running Win7 enterprise trial right now and having the problem there.

mike1504
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Killing RDPCLIP.EXE and restarting it worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hopefully they have finally tackled it in SP1.  :)
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:42 PM
  • My c+p problem was caused by virtualbox's shared clipboard feature.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:47 AM
  • The clipboard stops working in ALL applications. This is all over the internet, but alas no solution to be found, except closing all work and restarting. There is no help on Microsoft, Photoshop, OpenOffice, etc. Why?
    • Proposed as answer by mike1504 Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mike1504 Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:51 AM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Are you  using remote desktop?

mike1504
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:51 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. My system is windows 7 Pro 64bit, but I'm using citrix. Its very frustrating. Basically have to kill the citrix session each time, or close IE to get the copy past working again.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Here is a link to a thread in 2005 about this issue.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/re-copy-and-paste-not-working-t2287121.html

and here is a link to the file that it speaks of.  This may help or it may unlock the clip board.  I have used it when killing RPDCLIP.exe would not work

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/GetOpenClipboardWindow.zip

And here is the MD5 hash for the file: AC5417653E627626303317DD454D9B52

mike1504
    • Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:51 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:59 PM
  • This issue came up on my Win7 32bit professional recently. It worked before.....

After spending hours searching for an answer online somewhere, and got NADA FROM 50 FORUMS......

MOST if not ALL memory management software WILL clear the clipboard queue every time it engages..and it does so very often..in seconds usually. Check to be sure you do not have any kind of memory management or RAM MANAGER type of software loaded.

In my case it was Advanced System Care 5 from IOBIT software...LOVE THE SOFTWARE on Win 7..speeds everything up and clears out all the BS Miscosoft stuff running at boot... almost completely. But you have to go into its config to tell it to ignore the clipboard cache when it does it's memory management tasks. Otherwise it kills copy/paste functionality totally.

I about pulled all my hair out on this damn problem.  

• Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:54 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:06 AM
  • rural:

You present what is becoming a common theme in computing.  You take a working OS, then start applying all manner of aftermarket junkware to it that promises to improve your computing experience in some way.

And when the system starts acting flakey, for some reason it never dawns on you that the junkware is the root cause of the problem.  "Couldn't be the junkware, its there to help, thats why I got it!"

People will use their old registry cleaner from 2005 and wonder why their system won't work afterwards.  Couldn't be that registry cleaning is largely snake oil to begin with, but how could the registry cleaner from 2005 that "worked great" with XP could cause a problem with Vista or Windows 7?  Doesn't that mean Vista or 7 is broken because they don't work after the aftermarket tool worked its magic?  LOL.

Memory management software?  Who ever thought taking management functions away from the system would be a good idea?  Stopping "MS BS at startup and never once considering what was stopped might have been exceedingly important?

There is an entire industry built up around promoting and strengthening the impression that Microsoft doesn't have a clue "and you need our tools to help get you past their folly".

I find it simply amazing how people can intentionally disrupt the way the designers designed it to work, then complain when the system no longer works as designed.

I know you'll have a ration of excrement for me because I dared point out the obvious, but save yourself the keystrokes, don't bother replying.  Instead, take that time to actually read and consider the implications of what I wrote, and take it to heart.  You simply cannot intentionally (or unknowingly) break a system by applying aftermarked crapware then turn around and blame the OS for not operating properly.

You said it yourself, "In my case it was...", but will you uninstall it and reconfigure your system to run the way MS designed it to?  My guess is no, you'll spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out how you can save those precious handfulls of milliseconds, might even try another snake oil vendors "solution" that promises the same life changing improvement in your computing experience. 

DAS

• Proposed as answer by Sherson Friday, January 25, 2013 11:19 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Win7Tester, what junkware is the common thread that all these people have run?  Micro$oft said the problem was related to Remote Desktop and Micro$oft Office.  Remote desktop is when I have the problem.  Usually on the remote machine, but sometimes on the local one too.  It has spanned tree operating systems, and three versions of Micro$oft Office. 
    mike1504
    • Edited by mike1504 Friday, December 23, 2011 2:22 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:01 PM
  • You might have not noticed, my post was directed to a specific individual.

As for issues with remote desktop, I've never had any issues (and I use RDP at least several times a week).

The thing is, when I select the RPD function to use the clipboard across the RDP session, I know I've "killed it" for local use while that session is open.  Actually, thats an assumption I've made, I've never actually experienced a problem because I assume when I redirect the clipboard fuctionality during RDP I don't expect it to work locally while still engaged in an RDP session.

I always log off from a session due to corporate edict, so I don't know what happens if I disconnect instead.

We run Windows XP and Windows 7, Office 3002, 2007, and 2010, and after the hundreds (more likely in the thousands) of RDP sessions I've done, I've not had a problem.  That's not to imply "we do it right, you do it wrong", but to prompt you to further explain the issue and circumstances instead of declaring its a decade old problem and Microsoft refuses to fix it. 

We have 80,000 plus machines in our forest, and something like 200+ servers, a quick search through our local support database doesn't yield any broken clipboard issues save one where the determination was made the user's system was mangled and needed to be re-imaged.  (Her issues were much deeper than the clipboard, that just happened to be her first indicator something was awry.)

DAS

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:35 PM
  • RDPClip does work across the remote and local desktop when It works. It even works across the internet when it works.  If you never expect it to work from box to box you probably will not experience the issue.  When the RDP redirect occurs, if configured to do so (and I am on a home network so there are no security issues of consequence for me) the hard drives and printers are also shared, and therefore available on both boxes while the RDP connection is in use.  I don't as a rule disconnect or log off, I simply connect from another location, or when trouble occurs I restart.  I have the luxury of 4~6 windows boxes running on the network.  The only server software I am running is Server 08 in a VM to become familiar with it.  One of the XP boxes is joined to a domain, and I don't ever remember having the issue on that box since it joined the domain.  I have no doubt that corporate policy for your enterprise prevents the issue from occurring.  That is probably why Micro$oft has never bothered to fix the issue for home and small business users.
    mike1504
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Mike:

I'll have to give it a try at home then and see what I get.  While I RDP from time to time at home its really quite rare, and I don't know if I've ever tried to C&P during those sessions.  I run networked (as well as shared to the LAN) printers at home, so I don't need to "carry" the printers along with the session anyway.

I'll post back if I learn anything new.

DAS

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Mike:

I did quite a bit of RDP between 4 machines last night at home.  It was actually pretty convenient timing as I had just built a new machine, and went ahead and reloaded from scratch the other 3 which had been running since my Win7 RTM packages arrived.  All of this was done in the last week or so, so I had plenty of stuff to move back and forth.  Among other things I used RDP to get the MAC addresses for Bluetooth adaptors, examine how I had set things on one machine to apply to the others, and spent a few good hours total.

The short story is it all went without a hitch, and while thats all well and good, it proves nothing and provides no means for me to research what might be going on with your system(s).

So, you mentioned works/doesn't work, is there anything you can think of that might push it into failure mode?

All of the machines involved in the test are HTPC/Gaming (all DIY construction with high end motherboards, fast CPUs, lots of memory and and embarassingly large investment in graphics cards), and as such are configured with no power savings other than CPU throttling.  No sleep, no suspend, no hybrid sleep, literally the only power saving mode allowed is CPU throttling.  All drives are traditional platter types, WD Velociraptors for the OS/programs, 1TB and up class drives for storage.  I mention this in case power management states could be involved, let me know if you are "greener" than I am.  :)

Give me some tips if you can to help work towards a configuration that might be more apt to fail that what I've described.

DAS

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:48 PM
  • In all the years I've been dealing with this problem I'm not absolutely sure of a common thread.  Often I will get a 'cannot empty clipboard' error from within Excel.  I think It is related to ms Office, but when the clipboard  quits it will not paste into any app.  I have 3 versions of office, XP, 2003, and 2010.  When I first noticed it, I was using 2003, but I'm pretty sure Office XP causes it to.  My boxes range from a couple of old dells with 1/2 and 1 Gig of ram to an ASUS server board w/ 32 gig and 2 AMD G34 8 core processors.  The drives range from 125GB to 1TB Sata. One box has a couple of PATA's in it.  The newer boxes have about 5TB total of SATA2 I have seen no difference between Operating systems and physical hardware.  I do have a bad habit of leaving 4 RDP sessions open most of the time.  Almost every time I have experienced the problem simply killing RDPClip.exe with Taskman and restarting it fixes it.
    mike1504
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Thanks alot ,"Clean clipboard" was selected in Iobit Smart RAM, so disabling that option fixed it ;)

• Edited by frednet Friday, December 23, 2011 1:45 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Same problem here. Clipboard stopped working mysteriously a month ago and nothing seems to fix it.
    I've done everything I can think of and everything that anyone else can think of with this problem just to be dissapointed again and again. Just recently formated my C:\ and installed windows 7 again. No help even there so I'm pretty much going to give up with this and maybe buy a new computer.
    The only thing that I do know about this problem is that something somehow keeps copying empty information to the clipboard several times in a second. Don't know what does it or why. I'm pretty sure that I've tried all the solutions out there but please do suggest new ones, since I'm kinda desperate with this thing.

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Sometimes it's the ESC key that is stuck due to that spilled coffee a few months ago...
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:36 PM
  • This issue came up on my Win7 32bit professional recently. It worked before.....

After spending hours searching for an answer online somewhere, and got NADA FROM 50 FORUMS......

MOST if not ALL memory management software WILL clear the clipboard queue every time it engages..and it does so very often..in seconds usually. Check to be sure you do not have any kind of memory management or RAM MANAGER type of software loaded.

In my case it was Advanced System Care 5 from IOBIT software...LOVE THE SOFTWARE on Win 7..speeds everything up and clears out all the BS Miscosoft stuff running at boot... almost completely. But you have to go into its config to tell it to ignore the clipboard cache when it does it's memory management tasks. Otherwise it kills copy/paste functionality totally.

Ruraltownsisp your a star, took me a week to come across your post on here, and fixed my copy n paste problem in 2 mins.. thank you very much!!!!!!!! 

• Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:55 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I have Windows 7 Home Premium, started having problems with mouse not copying or pasting or selecting all or all three of them.  Problem was at first resolved by doing system restore, that is til today when I tried it again, wouldn't startup and message said system restore didn't work.  Suggested I do check on system files and restore and after half hour was still was checking so shut down and restarted bypassing the system check and restore.  First mouse only worked on one site and Print Shop, now nothing.  I tried another mouse and it worked fine except it didn't do those tasks too.  Also did the command prompt, said errors were fixed.  I thought it was my computer, I see others having same problem.  Thought maybe if I upgraded to IE9 it would help, it didn't.  I use copy/paste for many reasons and for right now they are being held hostage with no way to move them to other programs that I know of.  Really makes you helpless in places like Facebook when you want to copy/paste anything.  Sure is not making me happy camper.  I am exasperated trying to fix the problem.  Any other fixes for this?  You would think whoever could do a fix for this would do it by now.  I just tried pasting in Notepad and it pasted there so at some point trying to copy something it worked.  Still doesn't copy/paste/select all in other places.

Just went into internet options, went to advanced options, restored to advanced settings, got copy/paste back in yahoo e-mail only.  Still need help.

• Edited by itsagiftim753 Friday, January 06, 2012 6:09 AM updated
    • Proposed as answer by boom043 Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:20 PM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 5:44 AM
  • If you’re using a program like Smart Ram or any RAM optimizing software make sure "clean clipboard" is not checked. This solved the problem for me.
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:21 PM
  • MAN. This really fixed my problem. Yes I love the program Advance System Care  from IOBIT software. I just unchecked the "Clean Clipboard" and it did me right. Hahahahahahaha.

Thank you very much!

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:07 AM
  • After reading the post from  ruraltownsisp above about memory, I though about about the Smart RAM program from Iobit. I just cleared the clipboard check box and my copy and paste issue is no longer. I came back to post about it and see that you beat me too it! :-)

• Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:56 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Thanks. This was the fix for Win 7 64bit also using Advanced System Care Pro from IOBIT.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Thankyou! You are amazing! I love ASC also.. and when I would paste, as i left clicked, i could see it go POOF!!!

Its all fixed... again, thank you!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I am having the same exact issue!!! and there is no rdpclip.exe in the processes when I bring it up!! and none of the above methods worked!!
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:07 PM
  • @mike1504 Thank you very much, I started TaskManager and ran rdpclip.exe and problem is solved thanks to you.
    • Proposed as answer by Pravin29 Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Pravin29 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:56 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hey thanks man.. now I got the real solution of this problem asc5 was the problem in ram free utiltiy setting, "clear clipboard" option was checked thats y i was not able to cut copy 7 paste since last two week, atlast i got ur solution, thanks mate
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:53 PM
  • "Clean clipboard" was selected in Iobit Smart RAM, so disabling that option fixed it ;) for all my programs.

Bonne journée à tous.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Worked for me!
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Ruraltownsisp,

I am having the same problem.  It occurred after I installed IOBIT Adv Care 5.  I edited the settings and unchecked "clipboard" in the scanned files.  Is that what you meant?  I re-booted, then tried copy and paste in an excel file.  It did allow me to copy and paste.  Then I came online and tried to copy and paste my link to a thread I have on this same issue, and it did not allow me to paste.  The paste function is not selectable.  Any other thoughts?  Is there an internet cache that I should deselect?

See thread for bjj15843 1/23/12.  (I would paste the link, but I can't!)  thanks

update - I did find where the clipboard junk files were cleared, and deselected "clean clipbaord" - I think this is what you did, since I can now paste in firefox -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/76ba0a29-51ae-4eb7-8ee8-50191965a224

If you had any other issues with Adv Care system 5, pls post!  I also like the s/w, but spending a week w/o my cut/paste was a huge inconvenience and frustration!

bjj15843
    • Edited by bjj15843 Monday, January 30, 2012 3:01 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thanks,

Spent hours trying to fix problem, this fixed instantly, livesaver

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:52 PM

You ripper, fixed my problems , thank you 

Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:34 AM

This is what was doing it for me. For those of you who also have Iobit's excellent software change the SmartRam setting in Toolbox by unchecking the Clear Clipboard box. Other people with similar system care software might also want to check their settings

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:57 PM
  • You are the best!. I've struggled with copy paste problems for months, and answers provided didn't work. This one did big time!

Thank You for pointing out that the simplest solution is usually the best.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:42 PM
  • I'm having an issue with copy + paste under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit; this is a widely reported issue but I can't find a fix.

After a random interval of time, I go to copy and paste and it won''t work under Windows 7. I'll check some VMs - it will work inside the vm - but then that will eventually stop too.

I've checked for viruses etc and it's very odd. Either using the mouse or keyboard to "copy + paste" doesn't work. I've cleared the clipboard etc to no avail.

Is there a permanent fix for this? Windows updates doesn't seem to do the trick either, I was hoping it would be patched.

Some days I go fine as well, I can't pin point it exactly, but I'm sure something is preventing the commands and it's not actually the clipboard that is the problem.

Does your computer have Advanced SystemCare? If it does, check the settings in the "SmartRAM" feature. If the "Clean Clipboard" setting is checked, uncheck it right away. Checking the "Clean Clipboard" feature in ASC's "Smart RAM' disables the Paste (CTRL V) feature.  
    • Proposed as answer by Nathan_Novak Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:51 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 3:21 PM

Does your computer have Advanced SystemCare? If it does, check the settings in the "SmartRAM" feature. If the "Clean Clipboard" setting is checked, uncheck it right away. Checking the "Clean Clipboard" feature in ASC's "Smart RAM' disables the Paste (CTRL V) feature.  

Thank You for the Clarification I had figured it was ASC and was hot on the trail... however my mistake was in thinking it was the quick clean or deep clean check box... needless to say unchecking them did nothing... Yes you have to go to the Smart Ram (which can usually be easily found with your hidden icons in the bottom right, then right click that icon click ->settings and ->uncheck clean clipboard) then uncheck clean clipboard... instant fix... not even a restart.

• Edited by Nathan_Novak Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:01 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:58 PM

You just saved my day.

Have been suffeing from this issue for the past 6 months... DREADFUL.

--

Unchecking "clean clipboard"in smartRAM solved the issue - it worked like magic.

Thanks a ton.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:49 PM
    •  Solution in Win 7: After trying everything on this forum and many other things I eventually found a solution. Start --Run--Regedit Drill down to the following registry key!   

Open registry with regedit and search the following line:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

Delete a graphic number ( usually is a square or an L) you'll see it before zone number 0.
      It seems this is a bug of Adobe flash player update. Right click and delete it. All the keys on the right will also be deleted. Fixes copy paste and many other Active X issues like the inability to display services using services.msc

Reply if you solved the problem.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Same Here -- Problem Solved
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Mike1504 is right on the mark here. Thank you for for reminding me about this mess. This still exists in the Win7 platforms (including 2008 R2) and Office 2010. 

I will be happy if Microsoft ever fixes this problem but by then most consumers will be using a Google OS, amirite? boosh!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Great response, thanks for the info. I had the same problem and you helped me fix it.

Thanks.

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:25 AM
  • I have the same problem with copy & paste running windows 7 professional 64-bit. I am also running Advanced SystemCare5 and using the memory management option. After a few weeks of running all kinds of test and kept coming up blank. After weeks of research I found that the clipboard cache was being cleared so I unchecked the option and now I can copy & paste.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I have more or less the same problem. When I copy and paste a cell in excell I only get the text or value copied but not the cell format, formula's etc. Paste special only let me paste the copied content as text or unicode text no other options. This goes the same when copying a range of cells from an excell sheet to a word document. Rebooting don not solve the problem. I am running excell 2003 on XP sp3 system.

Please help I am getting weary.

• Edited by Giltec2k Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:18 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:18 PM
  • I have a solution - at least for me!  Delete the Skype add-in in IE and Firefox and the "cannot clear clipboard" error after a drag and drop goes away when IE and/or Firefox are running.  Apparently some sort of memory-management issue with Skype, Office and the browsers.

• Proposed as answer by mben972 Friday, March 30, 2012 9:55 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:14 AM
  • I have a solution - at least for me!  Delete the Skype add-in in IE and Firefox and the "cannot clear clipboard" error after a drag and drop goes away when IE and/or Firefox are running.  Apparently some sort of memory-management issue with Skype, Office and the browsers.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Sanjay. I too am having the problem described. Don't have ASC. Found that closing I.E. alleviated the problem (no problem with Chrome). Have now disabled Skype add-in and will see whether that resolves the issue permanently.
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Thanks Sanjay!!!  Skype was the issue.  I uninstalled it and the copy/paste functions came back to normal!!!
    Monday, March 26, 2012 1:37 PM
  • How do you tell it to ignore the clipboard cache when it does its memory management tasks? I can't figure it out.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Yup, huge "thank you Sanjay". After a week without problems, Skype click to call was definitely the source of the trouble for me. System seems a lot smoother without it, generally.

Disappointing that such a widely used piece of software as Skype should cause such damaging and far reaching consequences. I wonder how many millions of man-hours have been wasted by people tearing their hair out trying to solve the problem? However, as it seems that there are numerous ways clipboard functionality can be severly impacted, perhaps MS should look carefully at the internals and whether better protection can be provided from one app. interfering with others.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Thank you ruraltownsisp.  As soon as I realized I had recently installed IOBIT software (love the software also!!) and unchecked the clipboard cache option, the copy->paste function was restored.  I guess it is a good lesson....always review default options when installing new software.  Thanks again!
    Friday, March 30, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thanks Sanjaykhandelwal, This is quite the problem, it's an annoying life without copy/paste.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:01 PM
  • At last, someone with a solution(and logic) aside from stuff copied from the standard MS BS. Worked like a charm, thank you very much. You walk on water.
    • Proposed as answer by brulemonster Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:21 AM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:21 AM

Thanks Sanjay!!!  Skype 'click to call' was the issue.  I uninstalled it and the copy/paste functions came back to normal!!!

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:38 PM

Hi, Kat!  If you use SmartRAM, that may be the source of your problem.  Under SmartRAM's settings, one of the check marks you can put in there is "Clean Clipboard".  Uncheck that and you should be able to use Cut and Paste again.  Happened to me, and that fixed it!  Hope that helps.

Don

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:37 PM
  • omg, I found the answer thanks to someone on another site after HOURS AND HOURS of searching for a solution.  I guess some of those solutions appear to work for some, but didn't for me but THIS is what fixed it!!  I hope it helps someone as frustrated as I was!!!

Just do this...
    Why not just do this:

WORD 2010
    1. Open Word, go to Backstage view (File Menu).
    2. Select Options near the end (just below Help), then Add-ins on the left-hand side.
    3. Select Manage Com Add-Ins at the bottom of the window that opens up, then select Go.
    4. Untick Send to Bluetooth.
    5. Follow the same procedure for each 2010 application
    • Proposed as answer by TFS2010M Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Thank you. It solved my problem!
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Sanjaykhandelwal,

Thanks a lot. Your solution also worked out in my case (Win 7 64-bit, Office 2007).

Skype Click to Call component was the issue - no component, no problem any more.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I am using a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit that was just installed YESTERDAY.  So there's no aftermarket crap that MS is trying to beat up as the bad guys.  This is THEIR issue and I damn well want them to fix it.
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:12 PM
  • For any one else who clicks this forum query.

The problem I had was the right click in explorer 32bit would show the menu but nothing within the menu would respond. It works a treat in explorer 64bit and in the Inprivate browsing both 32 and 64 bit.

I to am using Win7 64 Ultimate.

Now the way I fixed mine after several days browsing forums was simple. So simple I was tempted to throw the whole sytem out the window out of spite.

1, Open the offending explorer.

2. Click on the Tools tab. (If it's not shown press Alt first)

3. Select Internet Options.

4. Select the advanced tab on the Internet Options new window.

5. At the bottom of the window click on the Reset button in the Reset internet explorer settings.

6. I then checked the Delete personal settings box. (Don't know if it would make any difference. But it does also delete all cookies and a lot more).

7. press the reset button.

8. It will then result in a new window, Reset Internet Explorer Settings with a green tick next to 4 sections. Press on the Close button.

9. a final window will appear saying For changes to take effect, you will need to restart Internet Explorer.

10. Press OK. Then Close your Explorer Window.

11. Open your 32bit Explorer and now it should work perfectly.

It was possibly maleware or some kind of virus. It may even be an eccellerator so watch what you reactivate or install.

Happy Browsing All

• Proposed as answer by Greebo-UK Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:59 PM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi

This Advance system Cleaner 5 was the problem. Unchecked the "Clean Clipboard" from the Speed Up Ram program.

Smart Ram>Deep Clean>Setting> Un Check "Clean Clipboard"

Thats it. You are done.

Tks a lot man, whoever discovered this solution.Tried so many options in the last few days....virus check, Hijack this, Restoring system, enabling all windows services, ...etc. etc....

While finding this solution, I found "Ditto" a clipboard replacement/alternative...anyone tried this? Can share some infos, about how to use this....it seems this has more options of having multiple copy/cut data than one, etc. etc.

Will love to have some experience share on my my directly...Fastlinkta@gmail.Com..

Best Rgds

ABKhan

16-04-2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:01 AM
  • This resolved copy and paste not working randomly on a Win xp IE8 system. I found whenever IE8 opened copy and paste did not work. Reset IE8 settings and all is well.

lerlh

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Sanjay,

Thank you.

Removing the Skype add-in in IE 8 (and also "disabling it" in Firefox [and, just to be safe, in Google Chrome too]) solved the problem of Cut (or Copy) and Paste options not being available when a Microsoft 2007 Word document was open at the same time as well as allowing a formula (not just its result) to be Cut (or Copied) and Pasted in a Microsoft 2007 Excel spreadsheet which was also open at the same time. 

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:27 PM
  • I had this issue and found that SMART RAM had it blocked. If you are running any type of performance software try turning it off.....................
    • Proposed as answer by OWATSON Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:50 AM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:49 AM
  • We had 2 different computers suffering the same illness and the ASC fix with un-checking the clean clipboard box in the SmartRam settings fixed them both!!

Well done everyone here. We are much happier!!

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:57 AM
  • I solved this problem by doing the following. It requires no third-party software.

Go to Start (Start/Run) type the following and press <Enter>. 

cmd /c “echo off | clip”

You will need to include cmd, even if you choose to run this from a command prompt. This function can be made into a shortcut by using the command as the shortcut location/target.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:09 PM
  •  This is just related to people who use Advanced system care Pro 5 and can no longer copy and paste here is how you fix it.

1.all you have to do is open ASC Pro 5 and click the toolbox icon.

2.put it in classic mode to get to optimize. then start at smart ram and follow
    from there. 
    Open ASC ==> Toolbox ==> Optimize

==> Smart RAM ==> Settings ==> Uncheck "Clean clipboard" ==> OK classic mode to get to optimize. then start at smart ram and follow from there.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:13 PM

Correct, I had ASC5 installed and SMART RAM manager in Auto mode, I disabled the Auto Smart RAM and my copy-paste problem was SOLVED.Thanks for this Info.
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hey... you´re right!

Thanks for this!

I love the software too!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Wow!  I got rid of a computer because of this.  When it happened to my new computer yesterday, I was ready for another.  You saved me the expense.

Thank you!!!!!!

Has anyone notified Iobit of this problem?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Thanks. It worked!
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:26 AM
  • THanks. It worked!
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:26 AM
  • If you’re using a program like Smart Ram or any RAM optimizing software make sure "clean clipboard" is not checked. This solved the problem for me.

WoW! Thanks mate! This worked for me, finally, I thought it was a spyware/virus/worm something like that, and was about to wipe the hdd just for that ;D Thanks for saving me the trouble :)

Sorry for replying on an old thread... If I did... :P

Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Hi Man,

Thanks a lot for the info! It solved my problem too!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:19 AM
  • A few of my users encountered what was described by Giltec2k but their problem arise only when IE is opened. As suggested by Sanjaykhandelwal, I uninstall "Skype Click To Call" browser plugin and everythings back to normal.

Just to share...

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:13 AM
  • I also just started experiencing this problem.  I traced it down to a recent upload of the latest version of Skype.  I went ahead an enabled "click to call"  on my Google Chrome browser.  After reading Giltec2K with the problems on IE, I decided to disable it on my Chrome browser.  Problem immediately went away (I did not have to reboot).  

Seems to be a glaring vulnerability to MS-Office products...

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Had this same problem on a clients Windows 7 x64 Pro terminal running Office 2010 with Skype installed:

I used the solution here: Copy and Paste not working Excel 2010 Win 7

I hope this helps someone in a similar situations.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 3:30 PM

I have experienced the same problem and just solved it by deleting the soft ware which I had installed few days earlier from ETS (education testing services) as I am about to start prep for the GRE exam and this software is suggested to be downloded in order to assist in the prep process. The name of the soft ware which appear to interfere with my Word 2010 program is named: PowerPrep II. Your situation could be caused by a different source but in my opinion, it will have something to do with a software you have recently installed. Look over every "suspicious" software and use, like me, the method- trial and error. Certainly, if the problem continue to persist after you uninstall a suspicious program, you can always try to reinstall it back on.

Good luck.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:50 AM
  • This fixed it for me.
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thanks alot Mr.Pravin you saved my time.I thought formatting my system.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Copy and paste suddenly stopped working last night on all applications including Notepad, Firefox, Word and command prompt. The laptop was not used for rdp sessions. Advanced SystemCare was not installed. There was no IE browser open. Avast reported no virus. No windows updates were recently applied.

The root cause of my specific copy and paste issue was due to low Free Physical Memory. In my case I had about 19MB free. I killed the process with the highest private working set memory (Firefox ~700MB) which bumped the Free Physical Memory to 500MB. Afterwards copy and paste started working again.  I don't know how much free memory is required for copy and paste to work. At 200MB free it still works.

I hope this helps.

• Edited by Johnem Moca Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:31 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:22 AM
  • hi. i have same problem before, but already resolved. what i do is i uninstall the microsoft update program which is installed before i'm having copy paste issue.

i remove microsoft visual C++ 2005 redistributable 8.0.61001

then, copy paste back to normal.  i dunno if this method work for anyone else, but it worked for me. ^_^

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

I've encountered this problem on a few machines. Follow the solution here:

Copy & Paste not working in Excel Win 7

I hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by A. TheOne Monday, June 25, 2012 2:00 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks to Linda Yan

I lost paste options in Office 2010 apart from plain text. Only happened if IE (9) open. Problem now solved.

The issue probably came on after Java update. This update seemed to produce some other problems. I tried system restore but got into worse problems - was able to get back to last/pre restore state but wouldn't let me go back again.

Anyway sfc /scannow worked. Although with comment "Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." The log of the process (which incidentally would not open - access denied, despite being an administrator account till copied and pasted elsewhere) was more hopeful as it seems to have fixed a number of problems.

I don't use any cleaner/speed up software, have up to date AV and think I keep a pretty clean machine with few downloads and I don't trial programs. So not really happy.

regards

GT

Sunday, July 08, 2012 6:15 AM
  • I have also had this problem many a time, but usually simply restarting Excel (that is where I mostly have the problem) fixes it. Today was a different story, once again in Excel I could not paste or clear the clipboard. Not by clicking on the clipboard buttons, right clicking, Ctrl V. C & P options were available but the only one that seemed to work was copy. I could however still c & p in notepad.

First I had a look at my memory usage because I always have a hundred things running in the foreground. I could not think that it would be a lack of memory as I have 24GB in my system (don't ask :P)

This is what I had running...

Explorer windows x 4, putty x 2, Excel x 2, Chrome x 1, Notepad x 1, Windows Live Photo Gallery x 1, Outlook x 1, RDP x 1, Firefox x 2, Task Manager

I restarted both instances of Excel several times which did not resolve the issue. Then I decided to see if any of the foreground applications were causing the issue in some way, by closing them one at a time. Fortunately I didn't have to look far. I closed Outlook, bounced Excel again and everything was back to normal.

I opened Outlook again and could still C&P to my hearts content.

What I'm trying to get at is that the solution (work around) could be as simple as closing a program and not going for the more advanced (sfc /scannow, system restore, resetting IE settings, etc.)

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:41 AM

+1000000 on this. Solved my problem immediately. I use Skype, but not the IE add-in.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Hello Ruraltownsisp;

I have had an issue with copy and paste not working for about two weeks. I looked everywhere, vistited several forums without success.

My Wife God Bless her found your posted resolution. I was getting ready to do a re-install or ISO copy which I did not want to do as you can imagine. and this however would not have solved the real issue. I too use ASC Pro 5.2.0 and also love it. Thank you so much for your input and resolution to the problem.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Hi Folks

If you are having the paste problem in notepad, look to see if you have any extra applications running that monitor/tune/adjust memory. In one case, a user experiencing this problem was using a nice little program called "Advance Care". One of the options within the program were to "Clean the clip board". This was the culprit for one fellow, and perhaps you are running a program similar to better manage memory.

Cheers!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hello ruraltownsisp,

Many thanks for your post! It solved my problem! I've checked the "Clean Clipboard" option in IOBIT SmartRAM and forgot completely this, until read your post. After unchecking the option, the copy & paste function is working fine!

Thumbs up!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:18 PM
  • I uninstall ADOBE ACROBAT, all of them, now my copy and paste works OK
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:27 AM
  • sfc /scannow will not fix it

It is a Mouse problem, mostley a optical mouse problem. Try a old PS/2 mouse or a different optical mouse.

Good luck, Al

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:31 PM
  • So I sporadically have been having this problem for the past several months.  My IT department manages most of the settings and software we can put on our machines, so I'm pretty sure it's not any snake oil junkware.  Then when I started reading the many replies in commiseration to this UNANSWERED question (way to go MS), I figured out in my specific case it appears to be connected to using a Remote Desktop session on another machine.  I ended the remote session and suddenly I am able to copy and paste again on my machine.  

This is kind of like the experience I had with an old MG I worked on a few years back where you had to turn on the wipers so the heat would go on.  

Maybe if MS execs would let the development teams work a little longer to produce a clean finished product instead of trying to rush things out and then go all patch-a-palooza every few weeks fixing all the issues, maybe they would be as well liked as their products are prolific.  I am not an Apple fanboi, so don't start flaming me, but the only reason I use most MS products is because there didn't used to be any alternatives that worked.  Well, for most of my personal uses, google's stuff works, so I'm not buying anything MS unless my company buys it for me.  Good job on customer retention MS...NOT.  

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I, too, had this problem, and I may have the answer you are looking for. I upgraded my browser to Internet Explorer 9, but did not update my Adobe Flashplayer to the newest version. Once I did this & rebooted, all was fine. Whether or not you have upgraded or switched your internet browser, I suggest you ensure your Adobe Flashplayer version is the most current available for your operating system.

Good Luck!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:27 AM
  • I, too, had this problem, and I may have the answer you are looking for. I upgraded my browser to Internet Explorer 9, but did not update my Adobe Flashplayer to the newest version. Once I did this & rebooted, all was fine. Whether or not you have upgraded or switched your internet browser, I suggest you ensure your Adobe Flashplayer version is the most current available for your operating system.

Good Luck!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:28 AM
  • rural:

You present what is becoming a common theme in computing.  You take a working OS, then start applying all manner of aftermarket junkware to it that promises to improve your computing experience in some way.

And when the system starts acting flakey, for some reason it never dawns on you that the junkware is the root cause of the problem.  "Couldn't be the junkware, its there to help, thats why I got it!"

People will use their old registry cleaner from 2005 and wonder why their system won't work afterwards.  Couldn't be that registry cleaning is largely snake oil to begin with, but how could the registry cleaner from 2005 that "worked great" with XP could cause a problem with Vista or Windows 7?  Doesn't that mean Vista or 7 is broken because they don't work after the aftermarket tool worked its magic?  LOL.

Memory management software?  Who ever thought taking management functions away from the system would be a good idea?  Stopping "MS BS at startup and never once considering what was stopped might have been exceedingly important?

There is an entire industry built up around promoting and strengthening the impression that Microsoft doesn't have a clue "and you need our tools to help get you past their folly".

I find it simply amazing how people can intentionally disrupt the way the designers designed it to work, then complain when the system no longer works as designed.

I know you'll have a ration of excrement for me because I dared point out the obvious, but save yourself the keystrokes, don't bother replying.  Instead, take that time to actually read and consider the implications of what I wrote, and take it to heart.  You simply cannot intentionally (or unknowingly) break a system by applying aftermarked crapware then turn around and blame the OS for not operating properly.

You said it yourself, "In my case it was...", but will you uninstall it and reconfigure your system to run the way MS designed it to?  My guess is no, you'll spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out how you can save those precious handfulls of milliseconds, might even try another snake oil vendors "solution" that promises the same life changing improvement in your computing experience. 

DAS

That is ridiculous DAS.  I have this same problem.  The "Aftermarket" software that made it worse?  Microsoft Office Home and Buisiness 2010.

Just as the others posted, this is unique to Win7 and simply did not occur in XP.  I think it's the more complex clipboard with all sorts of custom settings.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Jennas dad, this problem first appeared in XP with office XP or office 2003.  It was at that time unique to RDPCLIP.exe  killing that one process and starting it again could free up the clipboard.  Since then many people have discovered the same symptoms were caused by many other things.  Micro$oft still has not fixed the original problem, and probably never will.  I have had less problems with this issue since I migrated my main machine to 7-ultimate.  I have office 2010 professional installed on it...but note I did not say it has gone completely away.  IT just does not happen every 20 ~30 minutes like it used to

mike1504

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:41 AM
  • This is NOT the solution to my problem.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:51 PM
  • This problem of Win 7 is much worse when using Outlook and Word.  There was no solution after adjusting all options in all programs.  SOLVED: Installed M8 Free Clipboard Monitor. Windows behavior somehow back to normal, but I'm still learning to use the additional features of M8.

• Proposed as answer by JennasDad Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:31 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:31 AM
  • Well I have add a few words to this problem.   I had it occur to me in the last week.  Several days it was a problem attempting to copy from an Internet page (IE9) to a WORD document (just happens to be 7MB large!).  When attempting to do the paste it would pause and I would get an error window that gave me the option of killing the program or restarting the program. 

Well I have never had this type of problem of C+P from the internet page to my desktop programs.  I have picked up a lot of information this way.

I thought that it went away just about the time that I found this page while attempting to solve the problem.  I was reading the material and doing som last minute tests to prove the magnitude of my issue.  It seemed to work just fine all of a sudden.  I could C+P from this page (no different then any other page on the web, right) and other pages from word to word or notepad without issue, so I thought the problem went bye bye.

NO LUCK, I went back to the page that I was doing the initial C+P that was showing the problem and it still does it.  I now know that it is different then all the rest of the web - or most of it anywey.   I will have to report the problem to them - and it is a major HW company!  

But I still want to know why this is doing this.  I just put this system together (HW and SW) a week ago.  I'm not using any of the add-on products talked about here.   Besides talking to that company - I don't know what to do.

Roger_O

• Proposed as answer by D Horse Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by D Horse Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:43 AM
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:56 PM
  • I have been running this sfc / scannow every day for several days.  It is not a permanent fix.

I have tried this:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10429831-285/fast-fixes-for-two-common-copy-and-paste-failures/

Hopefully this will provide a permanent fix.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Im on windows 8 and am having that same problem as all of you are having on your win7. And before my copy and paste stopped working I was and am still having issues with double and triple clicking. I will click once onto something but it does a double or triple click. Like the other day I went to open my browser and oh my god it went crazy. I must of had 20 browsers opened by the time I could get it to stop opening them. and when i click on a bookmark it goes nuts, up and down and down and up and it will also go side to side with the menu tabs at the top, weird crazy stuff. It was so bad 1 day i had to hit the power button to shut it down to make it stop. windows8 does some crazy stuff. I have ran windows defender and some other scans and nothing shows up as any viruses, but my computer acts very strange at times and now this new issue with the copy and paste is the newest weird thing it just stated doing. Been thinking about calling up dell tech but I can barely understand them people.

Does anyone here know what is cause my issues inside win8?

• Edited by bobbiC Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:56 AM chanded the word defend to defender in windows defender
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:44 AM
  • DAS - since when do we buy PCs "to run the way MS designed it to?" and why should we put up with bugs like the Office Clipboard problem and somehow absolve M$oft of any responsibility because we actually want to use our PCs our way, to do our work?
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:51 PM
  • I figured out what the problem was for me.  I have a wireless keyboard with a lighted backboard.  If the light is off, it will not *copy*.  I have to touch the keyboard to turn the backlight *on* .. and then it will copy.  Hope this helps someone else.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:06 AM
  • you have no idea how this has helped me :) seriously i'v been pulling my hair out in frustration with this issue advanced system care's smart ram is great but this issue with it was  seriously frustrating and the cause of my copy paste issues
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:36 PM
  • Hi Tom, I have the same problem under Vista caused by a corrupted install of Utilu IE Collection.  This (great) product allows you to run multiple IE versions on the same computer.

I caused the corruption by attempting an install in Win XP compatibility mode and thereby enable IE8. No fault with their product, just a dumb experiment.  

So it could be tied to IE in some fashion.

• Edited by D Horse Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:31 PM add OS
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:30 PM
  • This is a netspy client issue when running under Microsoft windows vista as well as windows 7. Home land security may perhaps be the issue, they have been known to use Microsoft updates program as a way to implement their own (malicious) network spy programs into your operating systems. If you try and *ctrl copy* several times over and over, if it will go into memory at some point it’s very good indication the netspy client is on your pc. b/c of the Patriot Act of 2001 there isn't much *we* can do about it.

BTW I have used NetSpy in the past as a way to watch my employees internet access.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:58 PM
  • On a Vista Business platform with IE9 I had:

1) no copy & paste.  
    2) Opening folder (s/b same window) always opened in a new window.  

Turning separate folder off in the Explorer registry key instead caused the folder to not open at all.

CAUSE: The above problems were in a direct relationship to a corrupt IE installation caused by running the install in Win XP Compatibility mode.  Seemed registry and component related.

SOLUTION:  Due to a lack of restore points I ultimately chose to:

Before starting:  Make sure you have another browser installed on your system.  This can be Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.  Whatever you prefer, but at least one.

1) Under "Programs and Features" you can ask to see an Update History.  So on whatever platform, you are looking for the history of windows updates rather the the installed programs history.

2) I Uninstalled IE9.  This restored clipboard cut & paste and open folder in same window.

3) I Uninstalled IE8.  If IE8 is installed and it might apply in your case.  I did in order to catch any possible problems in IE8.  My corrupt install targeted IE8.  Additionally, the IE Launch button was broken.

4) (in progress) Re-install your IE8 versions.  I have IE8 cross-browser testing on a web page so plan to run IE8 for a week.

Anyway, I've seen mentions of IE involvement in Explorer issues.  And that IE is an integrated part of the OS and Win Explorer.  

If you have bizarre Explore behavior or can't repair IE, you can try uninstalling your most recent IE version or two.  

Particularly if you made any browser related updates or have experienced failed updates, it might be worth a try.  It did repair the problems with copy & paste where I caused a bad IE install.

• Edited by D Horse Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:02 AM Length
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:47 AM
  • I do have the same problems with multiple computers.  I am systemengineer for 20 years.

This is NOT an regular problem, it happens with a lot of machines.

This is obviously Clipboard manipulation by Microsoft. Lookup the API functions.

First they alter Your browser to redirect to ads and competitive sites by keywords, now they do start to copy, to alter or deny Your input and output from the keyboard.

When I do order my computer to copy and past, it has to work. 

I DO NOT NEED API MANIPULATIONS BY OTHER PROGRAMS,
    PROXY STUFF OR LOGGING.

They can keep their crapy Windows 7 and 8.

I do work on Desktops, Servers and Laptops.  NOT ON TABLETS.

They can not program a decent and stable OS.

My OS on many computers is Linux Mint based on Debian and I am pretty happy with my choice.  I am tired to be slave of a computer which is controled by nasty and dirtry tricks by corporates to manipulate and control my behavior.

• Edited by Woudy Ram Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:37 PM Done
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Here is a tutorial I made that rounds up all the fixes I have found reported to have worked for others. Chances are, at least one of them will work for you. Clearing the clipboard through command prompt was the only fix that worked for me!

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1749049/fix-copy-paste-problems-microsoft-office.html

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I have a very similar problem.  It started slow, and a reboot would fix the problem, but now Ctrl+V NEVER works.  The clipboard works fine using the Edit menu, and Ctrl+C and Ctrl+X works, but Ctrl+V does not.  Any ideas?
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 5:33 PM
  • WOW!  Hallelujia!!  YES I love it too!  BUT this is also causing some significant hair loss considering I run a website and post news articles a LOT.  When copy paste isn't working well.......... argh!!

Now.. I have not a clue about how to go into it's config.  :-((((  Can you please email me at dazeylin at gmail dot com with COPY PASTE in all caps in the subject line and let me know how to do it?  I would SO appreciate it!!  Or post it here - I can check back of course. 

I do hope this is the problem but I know KNOW it is!!  :-D  Thanks SO much!!!!
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Wow what a nice guy you are.  Listen I used to do tech support for MSN - and I know that microsoft does not always check things out before they release software.  I also know that it's not perfect at all... and these "after market" tools are often VERY helpful.

My last pc is the perfect example.  I thought it was toast!  It had more problems.. locking up, blue screen of death, black screen not even booting up.. I had to purchase a new notebook.  I cannot afford this so it was really hard.  Well... about that time a guy tells me about advanced system care - I think what the heck... it cannot hurt!!  I install it and run it three times and VIOLA!  GOOD AS NEW!!!!!  Now I did a lot on the windows, system restore etc etc etc... called tech support - nothing.  But this worked!  My grandson now has a pretty new Dell Pavilion laptop and a NICE ONE at that.  It's like new.. and we run the program frequently because he downloads games etc... and it keeps it nice and clean and running great!

SO besides the fact that you were horribly RUDE you are also incorrect... and sometimes these programs are a really good idea.  Sorry but windows does NOT always work right.  Everyone knows that. 
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:44 AM
  • THANK YOU! This was exactly my problem. I simply disabled clipboard sharing when connecting to the remote machine. Thanks!! --Tony
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:26 PM
  • I have it happening on 3 machines.  I believe a windows update caused this.  Sure, restarting the clipboard fixes it for now, but it breaks again.  Annoying.  Never run updates unless you need them.  :P
    Friday, October 04, 2013 7:24 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Also removed key-logger type software if u have it on windows

This also removes the option of copying and pasting........ I also had the same problem but when i remove keylogger it simply worker for me ................ This might be option of not working..... 

gudepedia.info  (Solution to your problem)

• Proposed as answer by Anum Tariq Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:58 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:56 PM
  • They have not -- just happened to me this week on Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit. rdpclip.exe kill fixed it for me
    Friday, November 01, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Shutdown of RDCMan.exe (Remote Desktop Manager) did the trick to me and clipboard now works on main system. While RDCMan is active not even ctrl-c ctrl-v in notepad works.

Or uncheck RDCMan.exe connection setting:

Properties -> Local Resources -> Redirect Options -> Clipboard

• Edited by k,g Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:51 AM
  • I also was having an issue trying to copy and paste a URL from my web browser to a dialog box within two different database programs and never had that issue before.  I have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed on my computer and while reading your post it came to me to try disabling Webroot and try pasting, It worked.

May need to go into any anti virus programs and the like and check your configuration setup and allow copy & paste. I've been having this issue for several days, just wish I knew it was a simple fix sooner. Hope this helps or opens your eyes to a fix. Please let me know one way or the other if this helped you.

Bigbear1700

Monday, January 06, 2014 1:40 PM
  • This is not some sort of a virus, the issue comes from the amount of memory the PC has. If for example you are running a number of applications that demand a lot of memory they the space require to copy something such as text from a word document is impossible. The buffer for the memory can only handle so much at any one time.

the next time it happens open your task manager and look at the amount of ram is being used. it may only show 50 or 60 % use this still can be enough to prevent copied items being sent into the clipboard allocation.

Someone's solution was to reboot and it works ok then is simply shutting down applications and services that have been started earlier and may have been closed but are still holding space in the ram.

See how this advice goes....

Tech Doctor

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:16 PM
  • This one helps.

Thanks a lot...

Nishar Mohamed Shamsudeen

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:41 AM
  • I recently bought a notebook with windows 8, and immediately had a problem with copying links from a spreadsheet into seamonkey composer.

I blamed it on windows 8, but have today found that the problem can be fixed by reverting to an earlier version of Libre Office, which is what I use to open spreadsheets.

See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.bugs/155633 for details

copy/paste problems obviously have many causes.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:38 AM
  • I seem to have this problem copying a url from the top of IE or Firefox and pasting into Outlook. I usually get the DING, saying I have nothing to paste. I haven't done any remote desktop stuff, have any 3rd part memory managers or anything else that would seem to be a factor that has been listed. I know I have more than enough memory on my system for a small string of characters as it happens even if I only have a browser with a few tabs and Outlook up.

I've had this happen on my work PC's and my home PC's for quite some time from Win XP and now on Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Usually the 2nd or 3rd time works fine.

I am using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl C and Ctrl V.

Monday, March 17, 2014 1:07 AM
  • Hi.  I had the same problem with Webroot SecureAnywhere, but the support people there helped me figure out how to fix it.  Open Webroot and in the right hand column there will be an entry for "Identity Protection".  To the right of that is an gear wheel icon.  Click (left click) on that icon, and in the window which opens, click the Application Protection tab.  In that tab you will probably see whatever browsers you are using, and they should be set to "protect." 

But you may also see (as I did) the programs into which you are having problems pasting, set to "deny."  If you know those programs are safe (and you wouldn't be using them if you didn't), then change the "deny" setting to "allow" and the problem will be fixed.   Hope this helps.  It was driving me completely batty until I read this thread, and tried disabling Webroot as you did, and found that was the problem.  And then Webroot support helped me find this solution.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:50 PM
  • rural:

DAS

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Thank you DAS

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Jerry

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 4:07 PM