Windows Vista Key Activation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've got install my 32Bit windows vista on 2 coms before, however currently its only install on one com while was reformat with other disc.
    The disc keep on appearing windows cant activate.
    Im using Home Premium.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 11:36 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

To clarify:

1. You have installed Vista on one computer, and now want to install it on another computer? or,

2. You have installed Vista on one computer (PC1), and now want to install it on another PC (PC2) and have formatted PC1 and reinstalled XP on it.

For 1, you will need to buy another copy of Vista as you are only allowed to install it on one PC at a time (assuming it is a retail version, which would tie up with the message you are experieincing.

For 2, you will need to call the activation support centre and explain what you are trying to do.

Thanks,
    Richard

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am not sure I understand exactly what your issue is.  Can you please clarify further the issue you are having?

Regards,

Andy  C [MSFT]

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Erm, i've install the vista disc on my other com but i reformat my other com with my xp disc than i reformat and install the vista disc on my current com but the key activation keep on saying that the key is in use so it cant be activated?
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:13 AM
  •  

Hi,

To clarify:

1. You have installed Vista on one computer, and now want to install it on another computer? or,

2. You have installed Vista on one computer (PC1), and now want to install it on another PC (PC2) and have formatted PC1 and reinstalled XP on it.

For 1, you will need to buy another copy of Vista as you are only allowed to install it on one PC at a time (assuming it is a retail version, which would tie up with the message you are experieincing.

For 2, you will need to call the activation support centre and explain what you are trying to do.

Thanks,
    Richard

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Number 2 is my current situation.

Thanks alot for your help !

But lets say if after i call the activation support centre and maybe months later i reformat my com will the same thing happen again?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:49 AM
  •  

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:57 AM