none
Win7 starts fine, then says "Not Genuine"

Question

• When I boot up or reboot my computer Windows 7 is fine, allowing me to check for optional updates, etc.  However on the System screen it shows Status Not Available and Product ID Not Available.  I had thought when I first installed Win7 it had info in these fields, but I may be mistaken and that is not the purpose of my question.

My problem lies within Windows7 some randomly chosen time after booting deciding it is "Not Genuine".  It is 100% legit downloaded from Microsoft, with a Microsoft provided key for the RC. This is the second time I have installed it, both times on the same system.  This started happening roughly 2-3 days after installing the RC.

It also notifies me on the desktop that the copy of Windows I'm using is "Not Genuine" in the lower right-hand corner.  The date and time are correct.

My question is, why is this happening? Do I need to get a fresh key from Microsoft and reinstall the RC?  If I need optional updates, which are typically hardware drivers, I can always reboot and get them before my system decides it's not a legitimate copy, but it's very annoying.

Please let me know what I should do.  I have no problems wiping my HDD and reinstalling the RC, but I need to know if I should get a new key, if I even have to wipe my HDD, etc.  Any help is appreciated.
    -Cym
    Friday, June 05, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

• UPDATE:  I wiped my HDD and did a clean reinstall of Win7, this time turning off "Automatic Activation" - so far it's been 4 days and my system is now properly showing a Product ID on the System page, though it does take a few seconds to load up the Product ID at first.

So, if you're experiencing the problem where Windows 7 RC is saying it's no longer genuine, wipe your hard drive, do a clean reinstall, and turn off automatic activation. This WILL fix the problem, providing you manually activate immediately after installing the RC.
    • Marked as answer by CymTyr Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• CymTyr, did you manually activate your install with the key? I found that I needed to do this even though I chose "automatically activate this copy of windows when I'm online" during the installation process. I went to Control Panel » System and Security » System. At the bottom, it says "Windows activation". This field told me that the OS would expire within 2-3 days after install unless I activated my copy using the provided key.
    • Proposed as answer by KrisKnight Friday, June 05, 2009 8:55 PM
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:28 PM
  • I believe I did manually activate it but I'm not 100% positive. All I know is now it shows nothing under Status or Product ID.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:41 PM
  • UPDATE:  I wiped my HDD and did a clean reinstall of Win7, this time turning off "Automatic Activation" - so far it's been 4 days and my system is now properly showing a Product ID on the System page, though it does take a few seconds to load up the Product ID at first.

So, if you're experiencing the problem where Windows 7 RC is saying it's no longer genuine, wipe your hard drive, do a clean reinstall, and turn off automatic activation. This WILL fix the problem, providing you manually activate immediately after installing the RC.
    • Marked as answer by CymTyr Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:27 PM