none
4GB of ram installed (3.5 is usable) RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you may contract HP to set your BIOS, since this issue is caused by the BIOS setting.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/?jumpid=ex_r11400_us/en//IPG/_sl_g_HPOnlineSupportForum/BrandSupport

Notice: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Daif_h Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:57 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:33 AM
  • to all whom tried to help

thanks a lot

i did everything you advised, nothing worked

i contacted hp and spend on a telephone call almost what my computer worth nowadays :) nothing work

But someone send me a link to this article explaining why i am having this problom

so i post it here, i found it useful and wanted to share it

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

greetings

• Marked as answer by Daif_h Friday, October 14, 2011 10:23 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• "Daif_h" wrote in message news:5c5a81db-5a39-4946-8028-63d75e801e21...

hello everyone, i'm new here and i hope i'm posting in the right place

i have  HP Pavilion Media Center Tv m8080.be-a desktop

my OS is windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

all the specification of my pc are in this link

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01041954&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=be&dlc=nl&lang=nl&lc=nl&product=3420770#N272

i installed 2 piece of 2GB of ram

and in my computer properties it says: 4.00 GB (3.50 usable)

- according to my computer specifications my motherboard support 4GB

- my OS is 64

-i checked HP site for BIOS update and found NON

-my BIOS settings have nothing for RAM remapping

am i missing anything here???

please help

512 MB is reserved for Graphics use on the integrated Intel video.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 10:35 AM
  • thanks Noel for replying

but if you allow me to ask further

- how did you figure that out? is it from the specification of VGA

-can i control this 512 (increase or decrease it)

-if no then does that mean that if i have only 2GB of ram (as i bought it) i'll have only 1.5GB

hope i'm not asking too much

thanks in advance 

Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:24 AM
  • "Daif_h" wrote in message news:eea8468f-f902-401e-907b-16e9390bf840...

thanks Noel for replying

but if you allow me to ask further

- how did you figure that out? is it from the specification of VGA

-can i control this 512 (increase or decrease it)

-if no then does that mean that if i have only 2GB of ram (as i bought it) i'll have only 1.5GB

hope i'm not asking too much

thanks in advance

The motherboard on that machine has on-board Graphics – which are currently set (presumably) to use 512MB of RAM as the graphics RAM.

You may be able to change that setting in the BIOS to something that doesn’t impinge quite so much on the available RAM – possibly as low as 64MB, but I’d not really want to go below 256MB anyhow.
    Check your manual for details.
    Your manual is available here (there’s no English version, and I’d rather not try translating from either German or French – my knowledge of them is not that good! <g>, and my knowledge of the other languages approaches zero)

If you utilise the option to install a Graphics Card – this will automatically disable the on-board graphics, and free up the RAM for the OS to use.

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:36 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:01 PM
  • hi,

It's Intel 945G Board, the BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS.

Look in your BIOS for a memory remapping option.
    If you don't have one then try a BIOS upgrade.
    If you still don't have one then you are SOL.
    btw the integrated video does not have dedicated video memory, and thus is using a portion of main memory. 3.5GB is exactly what you should be expecting

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:08 PM
  • hi Georg

first, an explanation of what you mean with (SOL) will be appreciated..

cause i found nothing in my BIOS, and the upgrade that HP offering is for another motherboard and for Vista OS while i have win7

then, (and the question to Noel also with my thanks for the pre answer)  if what you're saying about the video is right, i've just tried and removed one of the RAM's and the result is that i have now 2GB of RAM and they are usable, so why the video didn't take it's 500 MB?

Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:50 PM
  • "Daif_h" wrote in message news:1b833bf8-08d8-4f45-820d-1959fae2f16d...

hi Georg

first, an explanation of what you mean with (SOL) will be appreciated..

cause i found nothing in my BIOS, and the upgrade that HP offering is for another motherboard and for Vista OS while i have win7

then, (and the question to Noel also with my thanks for the pre answer)  if what you're saying about the video is right, i've just tried and removed one of the RAM's and the result is that i have now 2GB of RAM and they are usable, so why the video didn't take it's 500 MB?

Good question :)
    If your OS had been 32-bit, I could have understood the difference – but you say that it’s Win7 64-bit, so I don’t have much of a clue. Sorry!
    (SOL is usually taken to mean Sh*t Out of Luck)

Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:59 PM
  • do you have this?

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:03 PM
  • The OP is using a 64-bit OS

He only has 4GB installed - in a 32-bit OS I would have expected somewhere between 3.2-3.7GB available, but in a 64-bit OS, it should all be available (except for what has been grabbed by any onboard GPU)

Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:10 PM
  • OK now that you explained it, obviously i am SOL :)

cause i don't even have chipset configuration tab

and my BIOS version is 5.13 16/02/2007

well... i'm just armature in computers  but i like it as a hobby, the problem started when i bought 3 pieces of 2GB SDR and fixed it on my pc, then it said 7GB installed (3.5 usable) 

after reading a lot and Googling more, i found out that there are motherboards that support limited amount of RAM

so i removed the extra RAM that i've installed, and then i was faced by the problem that we were talking about 

so the question remains (why i can't use all the capacity of my RAM)

and is there anything that i can do to the motherboard to make it accept a higher amount of RAM (upgrading things, braking things or whatever...) 

Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you may contract HP to set your BIOS, since this issue is caused by the BIOS setting.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/?jumpid=ex_r11400_us/en//IPG/_sl_g_HPOnlineSupportForum/BrandSupport

Notice: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Daif_h Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:57 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:33 AM
  • to all whom tried to help

thanks a lot

i did everything you advised, nothing worked

i contacted hp and spend on a telephone call almost what my computer worth nowadays :) nothing work

But someone send me a link to this article explaining why i am having this problom

so i post it here, i found it useful and wanted to share it

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

greetings

• Marked as answer by Daif_h Friday, October 14, 2011 10:23 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Use Windows resource monitor, and see what your memory use is.

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:25 PM
  • hi Larsel

if you mean to run MSINFO32 

i did and in two cases, 3GB installed and 4GB installed (of RAM)

and here are the results:

4GB

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.07 GB

Total Virtual Memory 7.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.32 GB

Page File Space 3.50 GB

3GB

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.72 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 4.62 GB

Page File Space 3.00 GB

i don't know if this means anything...

greetings

Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:49 AM
  • In control panel, system and security, system, (bottom left) performance information and tools, advanced tools, open resource monitor.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:45 PM

•  

ok.... it's nice, thank you, it's my first time to see this :))))

it says:

hardware reserved :2562mb  In use: 1306   Modified: 54   Standby: 1627 MB    Free: 596MB

Available  2223 MB

Cached   1666 MB

Total        3582 MB

Installed  6144 MB

Not that i've installed the other 4 GB so now i have 6 GB of RAM installed

if you want me to remove it again and check the same i'll gladly do 

well... not so gladly cause it is really not easy to reach the RAM in this damned model ;)

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Do you have a some hardware that requires a large amount of memory?

Harware reserved is none usable by the operating system.

No, dont remove your memory, it is showing 6gig.

Sorry for asking, but, you are "sure" that you have windows 64bit installed?

• Edited by larsel Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:47 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:45 PM
  • well, i didn't add any hardware, i only have a pen mouse and i don't think that it is the problem

for the 64 bit you made me double check and it says: system type 64-bit operating system

but..

i was going through my computer specifications

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01041954&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=be&dlc=nl&lang=nl&lc=nl&product=3420770#N272

and it says under video card (Videokaart) in nederlands

that i have also integrated Integrated Intel GMA 950 video card

could that be the case

and when i run MSINFO32 - components - Display 

there i found:  

Name                       Radeon X1600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    PNP Device ID               PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7181&SUBSYS_04001462&REV_00\4&293931D7&0&0008
    Adapter Type               Not Available, ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
    Adapter Description       Radeon X1600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    Adapter RAM               512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
    Bits/Pixel                       32
    dose this also have anything to do with it, or i'm making no sense
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Even if some of the reserved memory was because of on-board graphics, (and I dont believe it does, I checked on another PC that has on-board and it is not showing up in reserved, and that PC is windows 7 32bit), it wouldn't be 2.5 GB.

If your MB didnt support the memory, I dont think it would show up, your PC probably would even start.

Check the size of your virtual memory, with 6GB it should be about 10GB. 

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:26 PM
  • well... in the system information Run - MSINFO32 it says: Total Virtual Memory 10.5 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.20 GB

but if i go to my computer - right click - properties - advance system setting - advanced - performance - settings - advanced

it says: Total paging file size for all drives 7164

and the setting is (system managed)

Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Good luck with your quests.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:13 PM
  • thanks
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:03 PM