none
error code when trying to copy pics

Question

• I am trying to copy pictures onto either a thumb drive or cd & certain ones it won't let me. I get an error code ""error 0x80070052: the directory or file cannot be created". Anyone have a solution?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:36 PM

Answers

• So this problem was giving me fits. I was having the same thing happen on Vista & XP. Then I found a solution. All you need to do is put a folder on the card and put all the pictures into the folder. Sounds simple but it works. I am now able to fill 2gb, 4gb sd & cf cards it also works with a memory stick pro 8gb with no error codes showing up. My digital frame has no problem finding the folder and displaying the pictures in it. Hope this helps. I was running out of hair to pull out!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I got this error as well.  After playing around with it for a while, what I found was that my memory card would not allow me to save more than a certain number of files or folders within the root directory (the limit appeared to be about 333).  What I did was to simply create a folder called Pictures on the SD card and then I put my 700 pictures in that folder. 

It worked, no problem. 

I hope that this helps.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:35 PM
  •  

Hi davesanda,

Thank you for  your post.

First please help confirm the following points:

1. How do you copy these pictures?

2. Can we copy other files to the thumb drive, CD or another place on the local hard drive?

3. Can we copy only one of these pictures to the thumb drive, CD or another place on the local hard drive?

Usually, the issue can be caused by third-party software conflicts. Please disable all 3rd-party programs and services in msconfig and test the issue. We can also check if we can copy files to the thumb drive in Safe Mode.

If the issue still occurs after trying my suggestions above, I recommend we back up the data on the thumb drive and then re-format it.

Can we copy pictures to the thumb drive now?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I had the error come up when I had 70mb of photos on a 1 gb card. I saved it all to a disc as a backup, then reformatted the card in FAT32. Now it is loading all the photos with no error message. (so far, so good)

Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Reformatting in FAT32 worked for me.......thanks a million !!!!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

•  

Hi davesanda,

Thank you for  your post.

First please help confirm the following points:

1. How do you copy these pictures?

2. Can we copy other files to the thumb drive, CD or another place on the local hard drive?

3. Can we copy only one of these pictures to the thumb drive, CD or another place on the local hard drive?

Usually, the issue can be caused by third-party software conflicts. Please disable all 3rd-party programs and services in msconfig and test the issue. We can also check if we can copy files to the thumb drive in Safe Mode.

If the issue still occurs after trying my suggestions above, I recommend we back up the data on the thumb drive and then re-format it.

Can we copy pictures to the thumb drive now?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:38 AM
  •  

Hi davesanda,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 6:09 AM
  • I came to this post in hopes of finding a solution to a similar problem.  I have also sent the problem to Kodak because it involves their 2 gig sd type memory card and their EX1011 digital picture frame.  This frame has an intermnal memory of 128 meg and when first used both jpeg photos and mp3 music was up loaded by usb to the frame.  I was then able to view the photos and listen to the mp3's.  I later discovered the limit of the internal so I got a kodak 2 gig sd type memory card and put it into the reader on my lap (vista) and put the music on the card first.  MP3's went onto the card without problems and played fine, BUT, when I went to load photos onto the card (while still in the card slot on the laptop, I kept getting the error code 0x80070052.  Thought maybe I did it wrong so I cleared the mp3's and loaded the jpegs.  Got the same error code when I went to put the mp3's on the card.  Full of confusion I again cleared the card and put it into the digital frame and proceded to do it all again---first the mp3's then the photos...same error!  Tried it the other way-phots first then mp3's...same error code........HELP, dadfraser

ps. this is an anniversary gift for my wife in 5 days...fast help would be GREAT!...bob

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Hi davesanda

I saw your post and wondered if you ever found a solution? I am have the same problem.

Thanks

HotFlash

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:29 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I am having the same problems, I have learned a few things, but unfortunately I have not been able to continue uploading my pics to the 2GB SD card even with the additional knowledge.

I have learned: its NOT a Microsoft problem (at least for now, lol)

its NOT a Vista issue

It is an issue with the formatting of the SC card itself. On my laptop I get several choices when formatting the card:

NRFS

FAT

FAT32

I have yet to try reformatting the card and re-copying the pics simply because I was able to copy over 250 pics without incident then suddenly I could not get past the friggin error message (0x80070052).

I've been to the mfg's site(scandisk.com), microsoft.com, and forum.notebookreview.com, looking for a solution and thus far we are not alone with this problem. Many users are having same issue. <deep sigh>

I would greatly appreciate it if you do find the solution that you would share it with me. cuz right now I am frustrated to a point I hate my computer  LOL . . .  jk, I'll get over it!

Thanks and I hope to hear from you!!!

hotflash

Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:39 AM
  • Bob & Hotflash

This is a persistent problem with the Vista platform.  We're running two boxs, a Micorn and an HP Pavillion, both of which came with Vista loaded on them from the retailer.  The 0x80070052 error code seems to be some sort of wall that occurs on both  systems and it effects all other Compact Flash drives, Scan disk thumbdrives, a Photo Harddisk drive.  Vista will load greater than 128M of jpegs if your formated in NTSF, but it wont work with any of the FAT formats on files totalling greater than about 100 meg. Although, the two brands of digital picture frames we've purchased, will not read NTSF format. We have tried "Safe Boot", reformating the drive, and even creating sub folders.  Vista will not allow anything greater than about 100 meg before it gives that error code if your in FAT or FAT 32.

On the other hand, we do operate Dells and Microns where I work, and they have XP for operating systems.  They don't any of these limitations. My hope is that we are simply told to find a system with XP for load jpegs on these portable drives.  My guess to to back track the technology on your box with XP, but you'll need a new chassis hard drive since Vista wont allow XP on your system either.  But thats another conversation.

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:38 AM
  • I am having the same problem. Seems its a VISTA problem but they don't seem abel to supply a fix. Good thing I kept my old XP unit. My work around is to copy the files to my XPcomputer and load my photo frames and cards from it. To bad Microsoft won't help us on this!

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:59 AM
  • I thought I'd throw my comment into the problem of not being able to copy pics and receiving the same error code as detailed above.  I was able to copy about 200mb of pics onto my 256mb card before the error appeared.  I was unable to add anymore after that, but the ones on the card did work on my digital viewer.  Although I did get quite a few pics on there, I want to fully itilise the card, so any solutions would be welcome.  Cheers. GN

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:07 PM
  • So this problem was giving me fits. I was having the same thing happen on Vista & XP. Then I found a solution. All you need to do is put a folder on the card and put all the pictures into the folder. Sounds simple but it works. I am now able to fill 2gb, 4gb sd & cf cards it also works with a memory stick pro 8gb with no error codes showing up. My digital frame has no problem finding the folder and displaying the pictures in it. Hope this helps. I was running out of hair to pull out!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I had the error come up when I had 70mb of photos on a 1 gb card. I saved it all to a disc as a backup, then reformatted the card in FAT32. Now it is loading all the photos with no error message. (so far, so good)

Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:19 PM
  • I got this error as well.  After playing around with it for a while, what I found was that my memory card would not allow me to save more than a certain number of files or folders within the root directory (the limit appeared to be about 333).  What I did was to simply create a folder called Pictures on the SD card and then I put my 700 pictures in that folder. 

It worked, no problem. 

I hope that this helps.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:35 PM
  • This totaly works!  Thanks for the help.  I bought a couple of digital picture frames w/ media cards and this was killing me.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:17 AM
  • When I try to create a folder on the card I get the same error message.  Any suggestions?
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Reformatting in FAT32 worked for me.......thanks a million !!!!

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:08 AM
  • This response is to jl1 posting on the 1st page.

I had the same problem with a 2 gig SD card for a picture frame.  Spent 2 days wrapped around the axle and saw much conflicting information regarding reformatting the SD card.  I simply used your fix and currently have about 2400 photos loaded onto this card.  Still have about 1 gig of space left.  Thanks for your help.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  I also was running out hair to pull out, but your suggestion worked like a charm. 

Sunday, December 30, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I too was having  the same problem. Tried DJH868 suggestion and it worked. My Digital Frame found the photos in the folder straightaway. Many Thanks

Saturday, January 5, 2008 11:10 PM
  • I too was about to give up.  Initially I was using a 2 gb card to which I was able to copy some 3,800 photos to the root directory, but then my digital photo frame would only pick and reply about 700 of them.  One store asistant suggested that I elect to show all photos on the digital photo frame but alas there was no such option!  Another store assistant suggested that the photo frame could not read SD discs over 1 GB.  So I bought a 1 gb SD card....and got that dreaded error message.  I remembered that I had another 1 gb card supplied with my Nikon camera.  The error message popped up again after the usual 170 photoes were copied!!!!! Then I read this post, created a directory on both the 1gb and 2gb SD cards - the files copied perfectly to the 1gb card, and the files on the 2gb card were moved to the new directory.  Now to test the photo frame .. it seems to be working fine now.  Perhaps that is why Nikon and others always create a folder on the SD card?

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:57 AM
  • I also have this error and it also came up when I tried to create a new folder. As I am rather technologically disadvantaged could you tell me how to reformat the card in FAT32? Any help would be much appreciated. Does anyone know if there is a reason Microsoft will not help with this?

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Hi, If you want to format your card to FAT32, here's how.

1) Open Computer from the start button (Bottom right of screen).

2) Right click on the drive that your sd card is in.

3) From the drop down menu that appears (Formatting Removable DiskSmile,  select FORMAT.

4) You should see 3 buttons: Capacity, File system & Allocation of unit size.

5) Click the File system button, select the Format type you want eg., NTFS, FAT (Default), FAT32.

6) In this case you want FAT32 (Left click/highlight FAT 32)

7) Click START at the bottom of drop down menu.

A warning should appear to the effect that you will LOSS ALL of the data stored, IF YOU ARE HAPPY to proceed, click OK.

NOTE: it may take a bit of time for your computer to format your sd card, at the end of the process the computer will give you an up date on how things went - tell it OK - that should be job done!.

Your card should be Formatted to FAT32, and ready for you to lode it up.

Hope this is helpfull.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Same situation. I had 116 mb on a 256 card and got that error code. I tried to create a folder to put them in, but got the same message - so I took about 30 photos off my flash drive, and copied them to my desktop and then was able to create a folder on the flash drive. I put all the photos in the folder and am now able to copy more pics onto it. \

thank you for all your comments!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you....  this issue was driving me bat$&!7 until I found your post.....

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:36 PM
  • making folders rox!

i love whoever suggested that! thankyou!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Thank you so much!  I just spent 4 hours trying to get my vacation photos back onto my card.  I wish I would have checked here first - putting them into a pictures folder totally solved the problem!!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Hi gays, my MP3 was the same error, but I format ann copy them and working fine.

Thanks for all !!

Regards,

Luis

Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Thanks, creating a folder on the SD card allowed me to use all 2 GB and it will still show the pics on the Panasonic Viera TV. Microsoft needs to fix these problems, and not just come out with a new OS and strand all us suckers that bought a Vista box.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Tim Quan, if you are still out there tell your buddies at Microsoft to fix this!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:10 AM
  • davesandra, I was trying to load lots of pics onto a 1gb memory of a Pandigital photo thingy, with Vista, and it worked OK, up until the 333 file mark.

I read the responses here and I followed the tip - created a directory on the Pandigital memory and moved all 333 onto therem and continued with absolutely no problems.  Filled the thing up, much to the pleasure of Grammaw, who is the recipient of this.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:35 PM