none
Customizing Edge for my organization RRS feed

• Question

• I probably posted in the wrong forum, but it's really not easy to navigate in the categories for a non-expert like me :) Sorry for any inconvenience. I am not an IT expert, merely the guy that has the IT skills enough to be trusted with the job in a small organization.

So, I would like to make a simple customization of Edge to my organization. I'd like to specify:

• start page
    • some bookmarks
    • change standard search engine to Google

All computers are Azure joined, Windows 10 latest update. 

Edge is the standard Windows version, right now it seems to be 44.18362.267.0.

We use only Azure and O365 in the cloud and we do not have a server.

As I've googled around, I've found this, that says I should use the Group Policy and Mobile Device Management (MDM) settings for Microsoft Edge. I also found this, that tells me how to do it.

What I haven't found, is any page or a link that tells me where to configure the settings. Do I do it in Azure, in Powershell, in ... where? 

So, my questions are: 

1. is it possible for me to make the customization I'd like, 
    2. if so - where do I do it,
    3. and/or should I wait for the new Chromium based Edge to be released?

• Edited by Mandman Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:31 AM

All replies

• Yes.All these customization are possible.

start page customization:

In Microsoft Edge , select Settings and more  > Settings , and then scroll down to Set your homepage.  In the drop-down menu, select A specific page, enter the URL of the homepage you want, then select Save .

Microsoft related reference:

Change your browser home page

some bookmarks

You can customize the favorites bar, for example, you can turn off features such as Save a Favorite and Import settings, and hide or show the favorites bar on all pages. Another customization you can make is provisioning a standard list of favorites, including folders, to appear in addition to the user’s favorites. If it’s important to keep the favorites in both IE11 and Microsoft Edge synced, you can turn on syncing where changes to the list of favorites in one browser reflect in the other.

Microsoft related reference:

Favorites

You can edit URLs also:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
        • Click on the Hub button on the toolbar. It is the left-most button with the star overlay icon over three horizontal lines.
        • You will see a list of pages and sites you've added to bookmarks. Right click on the desired item to modify it. In the context menu, select Edit URL.
        • Edit the URL of the item to change it. Press the Enter key to confirm the change.

change standard search engine to Google

• In Microsoft Edge , go to the website of the search engine you want. Make sure that the search engine home page you want is showing in Microsoft Edge and the address (http://www.yoursearchengine.com, for example) is showing in the address bar. 
    • Select Settings and more  > Settings  > Advanced.
    • Scroll down to Address bar search, and select Change search provider
  • Select your preferred search engine in the list, and then select Set as default.

Kindly go through the following Microsoft related reference:

Search engine customization

Regarding Chromium based Edge you can download and install the stable Beta candidate and go through the various salient features of it.

• S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hi, 

Agree with S.Sengupta, please refer to his reply for further setting. 

If you have more questions about Windows edge, it's recommended to submit in Microsoft Edge Community, they will be more professional on the Edge issue. 

Microsoft Edge Community: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Edge/ct-p/MicrosoftEdge

If you have any issues with Windows system, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:29 AM