none
How to install Ubuntu in Win 7 virutal machine

Question

• When trying to install Ubuntu in the virtual machine one gets to the screen where the installer says it is about to format the installation disc and a swap file in the Linux format. What steps need to be taken to install Ubuntu, or other Linux distro, as a Virtual machine without having to create a Linux formatted partition? Or is it necessary to first create a Linux formatted partition (journaled or whatever) and direct the Virtual Machine to install Ubuntu there? I am sold on the XP Virtual machine and Win7 as it allows me to run older Windows programs that will not run on Vista 64. I am inexperienced and  curious as to how far one can go with the Virutal PC program in Win7 without accidentally reformatting the hard drive. Out of curiousity would it be possible to install as virtual machines older and even defunct OSes like BeOS and OS2 which I have copies of lying around somewhere?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To install Ubuntu, please do the following:

1. Create a new Virtual Machine. The virtual hdd will be residing on your current NTFS file system which has Windows 7 installed. Alternatively you can point the virtual HDD to be on another partition (NTFS/FAT32).

2. Load ubuntu in the virtual machine and follow the on-screen steps. On the screen about creating a Linux partition/swap, just follow the recommended steps and format the drive.

How virtual machine works is, the virtual hdd will be residing on whatever file system you are currently using, and inside the virtual hdd, it will be using the EXT3 or Linux's file system.

And to your last question, you should be able to install the older OSes, but don't expect them to work properly if Windows Virtual PC doesn't have the drivers for those old OSes.
    Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

To install Ubuntu, please do the following:

1. Create a new Virtual Machine. The virtual hdd will be residing on your current NTFS file system which has Windows 7 installed. Alternatively you can point the virtual HDD to be on another partition (NTFS/FAT32).

2. Load ubuntu in the virtual machine and follow the on-screen steps. On the screen about creating a Linux partition/swap, just follow the recommended steps and format the drive.

How virtual machine works is, the virtual hdd will be residing on whatever file system you are currently using, and inside the virtual hdd, it will be using the EXT3 or Linux's file system.

And to your last question, you should be able to install the older OSes, but don't expect them to work properly if Windows Virtual PC doesn't have the drivers for those old OSes.
    Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:14 AM
    Answerer
  •    Before you can install the OS in any machine, physical or virtual, you have to partition and format the hard drive. When you create a new virtual machine, it is just like a brand-new physical machine with a brand new hard drive. Formatting the disc before installation is referring to your virtual hard disc (vhd), not the physical hard drive of the host machine. The vhd is just another file on your hard drive. It is not a partition of the host's hard drive.

OS2 should run fine. It certainly does under VPC 2004/2007. 
    Bill
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Bill,

Win 7 Virtual PC is definitely a different beast.  I found out with some PXES Linux distros I had that worked fine on my Win XP Virtual PC 2k4/2k7 but wouldn't boot at all with Win 7 Virtual PC.  From the errors I was getting I think they changed something about the virutalized video & NIC adapters that broke them.

Amaranthe
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:25 PM
  • I tried installing Ubuntu 9.1 on Win 7 Virtual PC and it doesn't work at all.  I've tired to run without install and I've tried to install Ubuntu and the Virtual PC window just closes after I pick English as my language option.  No idea why, just dies.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:13 PM
  • If you download the ISO for Ubuntu, when you create your Virtual Machine for it, click on it before you start it up, press settings, go to the DVD ROM: and put a dot in the radio circle to "Open an ISO image" and browse to it. I just did this on a laptop, it installed just fine.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:41 PM
  • http://nemesisv.blogspot.com/2009/04/installing-ubuntu-904-on-microsoft.html is a great blog on work arounds for ubuntu installations not working on windows 7 Virtual PC.

I've tesetd the vga=791 noreplace-paravirt and deleting splash quiet -- to get the install working. Installed Ubuntu 10 Beta last night.

If the VM gets stuck press the ctrl+alt+del button on the menu bar of the VM or use the left Ctrl+Alt+Delete key depending on your settings for windows 7 VM

once the installation finishes press esc like a mad man to get the grub boot loader to come up. For me I selected the ubuntu image I just installed and pressed e to edit. Removed deleting splash quiet -- and added vga=791 noreplace-paravirt again to get it to boot correctly. You will get processor errors and the VM will close if you don't. If you have trouble getting grub boot loader to come up then install ubuntu again but don't overwrite the first installation. This will force the grub boot loader to prompt for which version to load.

You can email me at support@johnsai.com if you have any questions of what to do after that.

• Proposed as answer by Nezos Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:50 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:11 PM
  • I had the same problem with 10.4 - even with the vga=788 (or whatever) edits, there is more required to get it working after the first reboot: details are over at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466888 (and I'm just about to blog about it)

Mark Wilson (MVP Virtual Machine) - http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:41 AM
    Answerer
  • http://www.virtualbox.org/

Sure, that's a workaround, but not a solution - installing multiple virtual machine managers (i.e. if you already have Windows Virtual PC for XP Mode) is likely to lead to more problems over time
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Think that works on some of the older versions of Ubuntu, but plenty of evidence of issues with 9.10 and 10.4
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • That link helped me a lot - thank you :-)
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:45 AM
    Answerer
  • I ended up not trying Jesse P's suggestion.  I ended up using Virtualbox instead and not because of Ubuntu.  I did it because of XP.  I have an older machine that ran XP and has my programming environment on it and we've upgraded machines, our OS, and our building environment.  We went from Borland Builder to MS Visual Studios.  So I imaged my old XP box, with Paragon, and I just couldn't find a way to bring that image into MS Virtual Machine so I tried Virtualbox and had no problems with it.

• Edited by bmkiss67 Monday, September 13, 2010 1:17 PM typo correction
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Not really, I've been running multiple VM solutions on my computers for quite a few years.  Currently, I have Windows VPC, VirtualBox, VMWare Workstation, and Parallels Workstation installed on both my notebook and workstation.

The only issues you run into are:

1. Selecting the correct NIC.  Sometimes one VM program will default to another virtual NIC instead of the host's NIC which is easily remedied in the VM programs settings/options.

2. Avoiding starting VPC after you've started another VM program.  In most cases any combination of VM programs running together won't crash a system, except when you have a 3rd party VM running and start up a VPC VM. (At least with the last time I tested)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I'd just like to second Steve's experiences, I run multiple virtualization software on my PC's all the time, though it's usually just VMWare, VPC, and Virtual Server. (on my client OS's) I've pretty much only tested VirtualBox and haven't had a lot of luck, so I don't keep it installed.

I usually disable the VMWare adapters that I don't use though, but it's just personal preference, I don't think it actually hurts anything.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I also disable the extra "virtual" NICs for all the VM software, and disable the NAT and DHCP services for VMWare.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:27 PM
  • What's the latest on Ubuntu on Windows Virtual PC?

My Ubuntu 10.04 LTS runs fine on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 except I can't find a suitable VM Additions.  That is something I can get by as the Ubuntu is running a dedicated application with a web interface and I can do most of the configuration work outside of Ubuntu on the host PC. 

I now have to install another Ubuntu on a new Windows 7 PC and making a decision on which to use.  Will the latest Ubuntu run fine on Windows Virtual PC?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Hello,

Can you please tell me how did you setup  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007? I installed it but display seems to be in 24-bit mode and screen comes with distortion. I have setup Centos 4.6 in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and works fine. It is setup as 16-bit 800x600 screen resolution. But couldn't find how to do this in Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,

Pedro

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I gave up.  On Windows 7, I couldnt install Ubuntu on Microsoft Virtual PC or Windows Virtual PC.

In the end I installed Oracle Virtual Box and it ran without problems.  I am surprised that Oracle VirtualBox works better on Windows 7 than Windows Virtual PC.  Ubuntu on VirtualBox works fine with mouse and all that flawlessly for me for coming up to one year now, running the Asterisk PBX beautifully.  Hasn't even crashed once.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:09 AM
  • It is much simpler to run Ubuntu on VMWare Player.  You can download a wide variety of premade Ubuntu virtual machines from the VMWare website.  Linux distros have been problematical in VPC beginning with 2.6.x and I don't even try them with WVPC anymore. 
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:37 PM
  • While you cannot run VPC and VMWare simultaneously they do not conflict simply by being installed on the same computer.  I have  both on my boxes without incident.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:41 PM
  • As part of a school project I have to run an os on all three virtual platforms, VMWare, Virtual Box, and Virtual PC.. I mentioned to install few different ISO's on VMWARE and Virtual Box, but not so lucky with Virtual PC.  Curently I got unbuntu partiallly installed, but ran into a problem that I have a question about.. When install the OS for UNbuntu in Virtual PC.  Its asking me to install the Grub in the system boot? Can someone please explain what this is, and what I should do? Is it ok to install the Grub on the master boot record?
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:58 PM
  • It's just asking how do you want Linux to boot, go ahead and use the
    defaults, it doesn't mean the C: drive of your host, just the virtual
    machine's c: virtual drive.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Thank you Bob for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Darius Dempsey

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:28 PM