none
Outlook email alerts delayed in Notification area RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a number of users report that they will often not receive an alert, from the Windows 10 Notification Area, that they have received a new email and then some time later they will receive a whole lot of notifications, all at once, for the emails that they had previously received but not been notified about. It's as if something was blocking them and then suddenly it has become unblocked.

All users are running Windows 10 Professional and Office 365 (Office 2016).

Does anybody know what might be causing this or how best to troubleshoot it?

Thanks

David

Friday, July 27, 2018 12:16 PM

All replies

• I will backup your claim. I also run Win10 (with insider preview builds) and O365, and for many months now I've experienced the delayed Outlook notifications like you describe.  I get nothing for a long while, and then I get many all at once.  

Friday, July 27, 2018 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

What version of windows did you use? You can type winver in search box to view the version.

What is the outlook version did you use?

I noticed you mentioned the notification will delay for some time, can you tell how long it delay?

Except outlook notification, did other notification delay? For example, if you use Mail app, and configure the setting "show notifications in action center " in Settings. When you receive the mail, will Mail app notification show in Notification Area? And in Outlook, there is an option in File-options-Mail.

Before the problem happens, did you update the system or outlook? If you the problem happens after you upgrade the system, please let me know.

In addition, the delay of the alert may be affected by the network connection. If your network is unstable, then the notification may delay.

Similar case :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/windows-10-slow-delayed-or-no-notifications/61f76ca5-2464-45af-86e2-513ea496d9c6

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 30, 2018 6:41 AM
  • Hi Vivian

Thanks for your reply. I have checked a few machines and they are all running the same version of Windows 10, 10.0.17134, and a couple of different versions of Outlook; 16.0.10228.20134 and 16.0.10325.20082.

I have eliminated the possibility of a network failure.

I have contacted affected users and they all reported that the only notifications that they regularly receive are from Outlook so are unable to confirm if other apps are delayed.

I have looked at the article you have referred to but it seems inconclusive.

It is impossible to say whether updates are the cause as users cannot confirm conclusively when the problem started.

Kind regards

David

Monday, July 30, 2018 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

To confirm if only the outlook delay notification, we can do a few test as I mentioned in my first post.

Use Mail app, and configure the setting "show notifications in action center " in Settings. When you receive the mail, checking if Mail app notification show in Notification Area.

If you have confirm the problem, I will feedback it ,

In addition, how long will it delay

Did the problem happen randomly? Did the problem happen recently or it is a problem since you installed the system?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Happens to me randomly. Most of the time it works but other times I get notifications for multiple emails that are already sitting in my deleted items folder (just now one email notification was about an hour late and the other 45 minutes). I was initially thinking that clicking the notification deleted the emails, but I then remembered that I already deleted them. Windows 10 notifications are super buggy. I have the same issue with TweetDeck but have no idea if that is also Windows issue. I've already disabled notifications for several apps due to issues, guess I'll add Outlook to that list.

Outlook 365 (latest), Windows 10 Home (latest)

Monday, September 10, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Is there any fix for this?

Mine could be delay until another message arrives (could be hours after). 

Outlook Version: 1808 (Build 10730.20102)

Windows: 1803 (OS Build 17134.2825)

Network connection is not an issue since i am an auditor who uses a different client connection each week. I have have updates but this is happening since about May 2018. 

This is becoming a real problem since i am starting my busy season and i am missing to replay to emails in a timely matter since i am working and outlook is minimized most of the time. 

Please let me know how can we fix this problem. 

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2018 9:29 PM
  • I'll throw my hat in this ring as well.  This is highly annoying.  Latest Win 10, Latest Outlook (O365) and I'll be sitting in a video conference when suddenly 20 or 30 message alerts will suddenly start rolling in back-to-back for everyone to hear.  Can't turn the sound down.. need to converse.  These are from emails I have already read and responded to hours earlier in many cases.  Possibly even from the night before.  I have multiple email accounts from g-suite and IMAP to Outlook.com and they are all effected.  It doesn't seem to apply to other notifications but I don't want to swear to that as I don't really use it for much else so I'm not sure I'd notice.  We could really use a fix to this.

Greg Fishback

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Just found this thread as I was searching for a fix to this.

It happens pretty frequently that it seems like a new email comes in and it triggers a notification for the past 2-3.  Sometimes I've even had notifications previously and it notifies me again.  It can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Same Problem  Window Pro - Outlook with 365

Builds up for hours sometime then all comes at once. 

Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:02 AM
  • Me too... very annoying.  I've just had 4.5 hours' worth of notifications all arrive in one go which is pointless!  I have had this from time to time on my old PC, but seems to be consistently happening on my new PC which I upgraded to last week.  Still using Win10 and Office 365 - latest versions and the settings look to be the same as when it used to work for me.

I would also love an answer, as it affects my productivity somewhat!

Many thanks

Virginia

Monday, October 1, 2018 12:03 AM
  • This has been affecting every user in my office for about four months now, and we've tried a few urban legend type fixes from 2017, none of which worked.  The only things that work require constant user input OR change in user behavior/expectations:

First Fix:  Clear out the Action Center Over and Over and OVER Again

1. Open the Action Center.
    2. Clear all notifications.
    3. Repeat every ten new emails or so or whenever problem behavior starts.
    4. Face the incredulous looks of users who think, "Microsoft couldn't be that stupid, it must be the tech guy."

Second Fix:  Turn Off Desktop Alerts

1. Go to Outlook Options > Mail > Message Arrival
    2. Deselect "Display a Desktop Alert"
      "Play a sound" and "Show and envelope icon..." still work just fine.
    3. Face the wrath of users who feel they need to see/have grown used to the desktop alert.
    Monday, October 1, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Me too...  Same problem.  Some emails prompt an alert right away.  But most of the time it's quite a while later -- as much as a full hour later in some cases -- and several at a time (even though those emails arrived at different times).  No rhyme or reason that I can detect.

I will just add to this that it's not an issue of the emails themselves not being delivered.  They appear in the Outlook Inbox immediately.  It's just the Windows 10 alert that is delayed.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:00 PM
  • I have been experiencing the same problem for many months now.  Sometimes the notifications are hours later sometimes the next day.  Once they start you can't stop them (sometimes as many as 20-30 notifications in a row)

Win 10 Pro: 1803 (OS Build 17134.345)

Outlook 2016: Version 1809 (Build 10827-20150 Click-to-Run)

AGMNS

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Same issue for myself and most of my clients.  Has been an issue since Windows 10 came out.  Don't understand how its still an issue in 1809....

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:57 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem stated by everyone above. My config is Win 10 Pro 17134.345 and Office 365, client Office 2016 Home & Business 2016, Outlook client version 1809 (Built 10827.20150). All is updated to <g class="gr_ gr_326 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="326" id="326">latest</g>.

Is this escalated to the MS Office and/or Win product groups?

Regards

Francisco

Friday, October 19, 2018 6:53 AM
  • Same problem with Windows 10 and Outlook 2013.  Delays with email notifications.  All of a sudden they happen in batches hours after the emails have been received.  Please fix!
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Another one to echo you findings. It sometimes takes over a day and of course in a barrage of notifications.

Another complaint I have with the new Windows notification panel is that it's very obstructive - it's ugly, black, large, and non-transparent and blocks mouse action through it, i.e. it gets totally in the way of continuing your work whilst the notifications come in which can last for over a minute when blocks of notifications come in. If you need for example to adjust your spreadsheet size or do anything else in the bottom right hand corner you're out of luck. Nor can you dismiss the pop-ups - you just have to sit it out or try to do something else during this time.

MS should give us options to tailor the pop notifications like size, color, transparency and allow mouse operation through the pop-up.

What on earth was wrong with Outlook 2010's notification's popup from which I came before installing 2016. Small, light blue and transparent. Why oh why do we often go backwards ???.

Phil.

• Edited by Escon Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:01 AM added text
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:21 PM
  • Also getting reports of the same from our users here; adding this on to hopefully get this thread some more love. Users are reporting pop-up notifications (toast notifications?) will sometimes be delayed up to an hour or more. 

Windows 10 (1803 or 1809).
    Office 365 (2016) with the latest updates.

They also noticed that other notifications would become delayed sometimes (like the Slack app notifications), not just Outlook; but Outlook seems to be the main pain point.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:51 PM
  • A similar thing has been going on over a year. Users who decide not to shut down and leave outlook open all night are greeting with dozens if not hundreds of notifications for potentially hours in the morning. Our screens turn off after 20 minutes, but the machine does not go to sleep. So in the morning when you move the mouse. The notifications flood in. No fix besides turning them off completely.
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:54 PM
  • This is the exact same thing that happens to me.  The message comes in but the notification doesn't alert.  It's frustrating when I'm working in other windows and don't notice an urgent email come in. Typically there's an hour lag and there's often a string of notifications that pop from the handful of emails I wasn't alerted to. 
    Friday, November 16, 2018 10:11 PM
  • I have just given up and turned off all notifications.   All my notifications are delayed hours or days.   Microsoft either cannot figure out how to fix this, or simply don't care to fix it.   It amazes me that Microsoft has thousands of employees, yet each subsequent release of their products is less user friendly and more buggy.  What are all those employees actually doing?  They are not fixing bugs like this, that is for sure.

Monday, November 26, 2018 11:00 PM
  • We have the same issues now.  This started with Office 2019.  Office 2016 MSI version on Windows 7 and Windows 10 1607-1803 has no issues with this and still has no issues like this.  Based on the reporting in this thread, seems like something with the click-to-run versions.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 11:30 PM
  • Me also,  Very irritating to think you just received another email from a client when in fact it is just the notification of the email you got hours ago!

- Tom

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:51 AM
  • Exactly the same problem.

Is it worthwhile to express a problem here?

It seems that we are very likely to experience the same malfunction

Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Same Issue, another error to throw in the "It's just Windows 10" bucket 
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:07 AM
  • I have the same issue, it has been persistent since I started using Outlook in June 2018. The issue is persistent on both work laptop and home PC.

Both computers are running the following:

Windows 10 Pro 1803 (always kept up to date with Windows Update)

Outlook 1803 (through O365) (always kept up to date with Windows Update)

My work laptop will usually show notifications from Outlook, but they are delayed by approximately 5 minutes, sometimes much more..

My home computer will never show notifications from Outlook it seems but notifications from other applications will trigger "buffered" notifications from Outlook. Notifications from other apps will show up immediatly. Outlook notifications will seemingly never show on their own. (I havent done any hard testing to verify this, but they ARE bugged as numerous others report here)

Would be great to get a confirmation that this issue is known and being looked at..

Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:55 AM
  • Within the last few months this has started happening with my Windows 10 1803 installation.  I've looked at number of these threads now, and can't believe the seeming lack of Microsoft support/response on this THREE-year-old problem with Windows 10. 

Notifications used to work fine for me, but within the last few months, it's been a totally sporadic affair.  I've tried disabling and re-enabling notifications for Outlook in multiple places.  It works for a short while and then stops.  I depend on being timely alerted to client e-mails.  I don't have time to constantly check my e-mail.  I code for living, so I don't have time to babysit Outlook.

Will try some of the user resolutions in other threads (since they seem to be the only legitimate workarounds).  Afraid to hit the Windows Update "Check for Updates" button, as I read recently that when you do that, Microsoft automatically signs you up for early-release updates, and after the October/November debacle, who wants that!

One workaround that has worked for some people is disabling Cortana.  Trying that now.

• Edited by BitEngineer Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:58 AM
  • Please let us know if it works as soon as you know and which of the myriad settings you have to turn off/disable.

With me, it doesn't seem to be a Windows 10 problem.

Outlook 2010 and Win 10 were working well together, with Outlook 2010 bringing up it's own notifications. That was up until I updated to Office 365 just 3 months ago when this problem began.

Just a btw, I much preferred the notification format with Outlook 2010 - it was far more discreet and responsive too, neatly flowing from one notification to the next with just the right amount of time to read each. Moreover, it was transparent so that it did not hinder your work behind it. Compare that with the clunky general notification pop-up that we now have.

• Edited by Escon Saturday, December 22, 2018 9:36 PM
    Saturday, December 22, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Tried turning off Cortana. Thought I'd hit the jackpot as it seemed to work for about a day. But, then it began delaying the messages again and bunch them together as before. A test email to myself in the morning kicked it off, releasing notifications for all the emails that came in during the night and early morning.
    Monday, January 7, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Has anyone found a fix for this.  I have been having the same issue for 1.5 years, ever since I moved to Windows 10.  I have been on Office 2016 and now Office 2019/Office365.  I apply all the regular Windows and Office updates as they come up so I am on the latest patch level (so it is not specific Win10 or Office version issue).  Same issue, no email alerts for hours or up to a day.  Will come back the next morning and I will get hundreds of alerts all at once.  Mail alerts never come when the email arrives but afterwards.  It seems everyone on this thread is having the same issue - like the alerts get blocked or bottle necked for a period of time then all arrive at once.  I turned off mail alerts as it is useless and when to do arrive it blocks the bottom right corner of the screen for a long period as it slowly scrolls through all the emails.

Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2019 1:36 PM
  • So it appears this is just a place to vent our frustrations as no one from Microsoft has any desire to look into this issue. The last person from MS asked questions on July 31st 2018. It is six months later and 26 people having the exact same problem have answered all questions yet no reply from MS. 

Sunday, January 20, 2019 11:36 AM
  • This is ridiculous ! I get my calendar meeting notifications in 25% of cases in time. The rest come hours, days sometimes weeks later and bundled all together. I lost count how many important meetings I missed.

I has been going on for a year now. IT department could not help, me I am seeing the same issue even after completely wiping out and reinstalling fresh operating system.

This kind of errors is not just a nuisance like a crash or a frozen application. It does affect the user's performance and can cost someone his job. 

• Edited by vadim_c Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:30 PM
  • This happens to everybody I know running Outlook and Windows 10.  How can this NOT be fixed - everybody has the problem!!!
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:50 PM
  • After reading this whole string today and then doing additional research, I found this page, followed the instructions to the letter, restarting my computer and it worked!  Best of luck.  

It won't let me post a link here for some reason...but go to howtogeek .com and "how to disable cortana in windows 10... you can probably google search the above and get to the link.

Friday, February 1, 2019 9:49 PM
  • this worked! thanks
    Friday, February 8, 2019 3:12 PM
  • I saw a question along the way about whether this happens for other applications and I can confirm that my 8x8 Virtual Office notifications are also delayed.  I saw the disabling Cortana fix at the very end of this whole thread, but a little before that post, I saw one that said they tried that and it worked for like a day.  I think it might have something to do with activity level as I've seen a couple of hints that Windows will queue up notifications if it doesn't register you as 'active'  And, in fact, as I'm typing this, after receiving a glut of notifications a few minutes ago prompting my (umpteenth) search for an answer, I just received two relatively timely notifications (only about 30 minutes off) so I'm thinking that since I'm actively typing this, Windows says "Oh hi!  Here's your new messages" but I think that mouse movement or sporadic typing (as one does as a software dev) don't get Windows excited enough to believe you're really really there.  I'm going to explore this and see if there's a way to control the sensitivity to being an 'Active' user.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:51 PM
  • I don't mean to be rude but your comment "I lost count how many important meetings I missed." coupled with "It does affect the user's performance and can cost someone his job. " really means YOU should lose your job!

I would certainly not keep an employee that decides to depend on something when they know is not working. 

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:25 PM
  • I don't mean to be rude but your comment "I lost count how many important meetings I missed." coupled with "It does affect the user's performance and can cost someone his job. " really means YOU should lose your job!

I would certainly not keep an employee that decides to depend on something when they know is not working. 

Did you really just sign up for an account solely to critique someone's use or reliance on a clearly buggy feature?  I think you are missing the point of this forum.  How does your response contribute to either finding a solution or at a minimum noting that you are experiencing a similar problem? If you have so much spare time on your hands I'd suggest going to Yahoo! to comment on their news articles as that is a great dumping ground for useless trolling.

On that note, I came to this forum because I was experiencing a similar problem and was hoping for an answer.  Clearly this has not been addressed so I'd like to at least add to the chain that this problem is very annoying and is going to make me turn off notifications all together.  While notifications can be very useful when they work, the annoyance of batch updating has rendered them unworkable.    

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:23 PM
  • I have the same problem as anyone else, have had it for more than a year.  It stopped after I reinstalled Windows a while back, but then returned.  Many times the alerts arrive hours after I've ANSWERED the email....
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 10:45 PM
  • Tha same happens to me with a brand new Surface Book 2 and Windows 10 Pro, bought in June 2019, using Outlook 2016. All software has been updated. How this can take so long to be fixed?

• Edited by Kiko_Madrid Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:41 PM
  • Have had this problem for over a year, probably closer to two. In my case it pretty consistently waits until there are around 20-25 notification (not just Outlook, all notifications in the notifications area) and then they flood in. It happens to me on two different machines not connected in any way.

I have participated in other threads on this issue. What they all have in common is that the issue is clearly very widespread, there is no solution (various posts talk about disabling Cortana, upgrading to new releases of Windows 10, etc. but NONE of those have been shown to be a systemic solution), and nobody from Microsoft engages or even acknowledges it is an issue.

Actually someone from Microsoft usually engages early on in the thread to explain how to turn on/off Outlook notifications or configure Windows 10 notifications, or whatever else they learned in their short course to become a Windows 10 or Office support person. Then they realize that this is actually a serious operating system defect and disappear.   

The only known "solution" is to turn off notifications in Windows and poll your Inbox and other sources of notifications.

I am confident we are just a small percentage of thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of Windows users either leaving or (more likely) just accepting that notifications don't work and hoping some day a fix will appear.

Monday, July 29, 2019 9:55 AM
  • 1 August 2019
    Still an issue for me. Any fix?
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:22 PM
  • I experience times when I don't get notifications and I see on my phone I have new mail. But this was a problem back with Windows 10 off and on since I can remember. I think its how mail is pushed and for some reason it just isn't very reliable. Probably why I gave up on Mail app for a long while until just recently when I upgraded to Win 10 1903 and decided to go back to signing in with Microsoft account and not a local one. Sort of the same issues happen with Windows Spotlight backgrounds, sometimes they update sometimes I get a default background. Have to wonder if all of this is related? Trouble is some of this cloud stuff goes down sporadically and may only affect certain users. Unfortunately unless you dig through trying to find outage information you may never realize this was occurring. Not like when you loose internet or network connections you get a notification that its down. 

John Scott

Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Hi 

I have found the solution

In the windows Notifications and Actions centre 

1. Scroll down and see that outlook is turned on as an option ( it most probably will be on)

Now here is the catch

you double click on outlook and a new menu will open, in that menu set the priority of outlook notifications to highest

this will make sure that it immediately displays all outlook messages. 

worked immediately without restart and without having to disable cortana.Im very pleased with this now

• Proposed as answer by War Im Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Did not work for the 10 users I tried this on.  Hope that Microsoft comes out with a real solution.
    Monday, October 14, 2019 3:22 PM
  • Echoing everyone's sentiments. I get batches of email notifications a couple of times per day. I have the sound off so that doesn't bother me, but it does seem like my computer gets laggy if I try to keep working while all the notifications roll in.

So usually I just get up and do a lap around the office. Maybe this is Microsoft's way of encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle? :: eyeroll ::

Friday, October 25, 2019 10:03 PM