none
BUG: Windows 7 tooltips, dialog boxes, etc, blacked out.

Answers

• As images at ( http://blog.revealedsingularity.net/post/2009/05/07/windows-7-so-far ) describe, all tooltips and dialog boxes, menus on hover, Outlook items, trees (not Explorer, but others including secpol.msc and devmgmt.msc), status bars, etc all display black bars rather than text.  You can sometimes see blue large text over them.  

Anyone know what the problem is?  Or how to fix it?

Windows 7 RC x64, via upgraded Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Hi Tigerhawkvok

This problem has already been submitted and duplicated as an official bug several times. No feedback is available on the bug report yet.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 08, 2009 4:35 AM

All replies

• As images at ( http://blog.revealedsingularity.net/post/2009/05/07/windows-7-so-far ) describe, all tooltips and dialog boxes, menus on hover, Outlook items, trees (not Explorer, but others including secpol.msc and devmgmt.msc), status bars, etc all display black bars rather than text.  You can sometimes see blue large text over them.  

Anyone know what the problem is?  Or how to fix it?

Windows 7 RC x64, via upgraded Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Hi Tigerhawkvok

This problem has already been submitted and duplicated as an official bug several times. No feedback is available on the bug report yet.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 08, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Thanks — sorry I didn't notice it in my search for the issue. Could you provide a link to the bug tracking, or when I'll be notified when an update comes along? I want to run the RC, and be able to assist in testing when things like this come up, but I definitely want this fixed when the fix is found!

Friday, May 08, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Thanks — sorry I didn't notice it in my search for the issue. Could you provide a link to the bug tracking, or when I'll be notified when an update comes along? I want to run the RC, and be able to assist in testing when things like this come up, but I definitely want this fixed when the fix is found!

Hi again

Sorry, but during a beta, most bugs are fixed internally and the result will be seen in the next released build. The only time you might see something like a Hotfix appear on Windows Update is if the bug is consistent across a wide range of systems.

Details about any particular bug are not published. 

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, May 08, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............................. so this means I have to wait for who knows how many million years before anyone fixes this problem!!???
    Cuz I too have been having these same exact problems and even just downloaded thee most recent nVidia build of 186.18 and it even states it's for Windows 7 but nope!, the problem still exist, as you can see in this screen shot, which is only just one of many, many times examples of this problem not only happening in programs (and only some programs, not all) and also happening in some things that are like embedded QT videos and such, where you see the slider and start/pause buttons for a mere second but as soon as the thing starts to download, then it all goes to black and you have to try the hovering the mouse over the thing in the "hopes" that you might actually get to see the time line long enough to know where the buttons are to pause it or anything else, like replay it.

http://www.md-arts.com/scrn/WhyTheBlackMenuButtons.jpg

Please, I'm begging someone, anyone from the obvious many masses of people that most likely don't care about a couple of people complaining about such a minor deal as this, to please tryyyy and do something, pleaseeeee???
    I know we are just nobodies, but it matters to us :)

thanx................................md
    780w Power supply Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Windows 7 (64bit) Build 7100 BIOS Build: 1011.006 Intel QuadCore 2: Q6600 2.40ghz G-Skill 8GB (4 x 2GB) 1100 EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB KO ACS3 Display Driver: ForceWare 185.50 Maxtor 250GB, 120GB, 160GB, 500GB, 500GB, 1TB SATA HDs 1 LiteOn DVD RW DL 16x/48x Drives Wacom3 6x8 QuickCam
    • Edited by mdunakin Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:16 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Bad news, though a sort-of-answer: I ended up replacing my graphics card from an ATI HD2900 XT to an ATI 4870, and that fixed the problem -- without a driver change.  I strongly suspect it is a graphics card compatibility issue ....
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I had this problem similar to this. After I installed a new theme, the problem disappeared. I've no idea how something like this would fix the problem, but it worked for me.

My install was a fresh Windows 7 RC x86 install.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:48 AM
  • Bad news, though a sort-of-answer: I ended up replacing my graphics card from an ATI HD2900 XT to an ATI 4870, and that fixed the problem -- without a driver change.  I strongly suspect it is a graphics card compatibility issue ....
    I've been using a 4870 video card and I've had this problem for the last week now...
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Changing the theme to Nature solved the problem for me so try that. When I changed the theme when I first got my P.C was when when the problem of black dialogue boxes crept in.

Gd Luck
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Thanks this resolved my issue

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:31 PM