none
Outlook won't start after Anniversary Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

after installing the Win10 Anniversary Update, I can't start Outlook from Office 365 pro plus anymore, get the following error message:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.6741.2056, time stamp: 0x577a2b2f
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899128
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x008b6918
    Faulting process id: 0x2a70
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1fa001ef4b67c
    Faulting application path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: 8a043f68-65f2-42bf-8f56-a770c763cee7
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I have had this posted in the Office forum, but the suggestion is that there is a corrupt Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
     file on my system causing the issue.

Anyone else have this error, or know of a solution?

I have uninstalled (clean) and re-installed etc.

Thanks! 

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:00 PM

Answers

• OK - I went back and changed the permissions for all Arial fonts, didn't reboot (yet) and Outlook starts.

Will reboot later (got other stuff running) and see if that has so far solved the problem.

*fingerscrossed*

• Marked as answer by FS_FRA Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:35 AM

All replies

• Try System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot (guide by Team ZigZag) to check the system and repair any errors that are found.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

Ran sfc /scannow - Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - no errors or anything reported

Ran sfc /scannow again - Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Reboot.

Try to start Outlook - fails to open. Error in EventVwr:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.6741.2056, time stamp: 0x577a2b2f
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899128
    Fault offset:  0x008b6918
    Faulting process id: 0x19a8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1fc8b32df7d55
    Faulting application path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Report Id: 21fde989-90bf-4777-bcbe-f0e00ddf7b22
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I see a difference in the faulting process ID (not sure what that means...?).

Monday, August 22, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Well the process ID to me is just what it runs as so it changing it not surprising to me.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows try a clean boot see Outlook works then. See if it is related to any 3rd party software.

Create a local user account in Windows 10 test with a new user see if it is a user account related issue.

Monday, August 22, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, this issus is caused by OUTLOOK.EXE and Windows.UI.Xaml.dll.

OUTLOOK.EXE is a outlook file and Windows.UI.Xaml.dll is a system file.
    Usually, for application cannot be opened issue, we could try reinstall them to fix it. Please refer to the following link to Completely uninstall Office, then reinstall again.
    Uninstall Office 2016, Office 2013, or Office 365 from a PC
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2016-Office-2013-or-Office-365-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
    Then, run the "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" command to scan and repair the system files to have a try.

Also, I notice that you have had this posted in the Office forum, please manually replace Windows.UI.Xaml.dll with a known good copy of the file, if they indicates that it is the culprit. Check the part of "How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file" in this link for detailed steps.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929833

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Mr Happy,.

Clean boot doesn't help, Outlook still wont start. Same error message. Will try new local user account as suggested next.

Fault offset:  0x008b6918
    Faulting process id: 0x18d0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1fd13574910ea
    Report Id: 21fde989-90bf-4777-bcbe-f0e00ddf7b22
    Faulting package-relative application ID

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Mr Happy,

new local user account setup: Outlook starts! Now what?

I will try the suggestions posted above by @Rick_Li related to the replacement of Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

Thank you very much so far!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Rick,

thanks for your help. Yes I had this posted in the Office forum as well, but they suggested I post in the Windows forum instead, as the error seems to be pointing at Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

I have done a complete uninstall and re-install of Office a couple of times. I have also run DISM and SFC.

I would like to try to manually replace Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, however I don't have access to a known good copy. Any suggestion where I might get one?

Finally, setting up a new local user account as suggested by @-Mr Happy- worked in the sense that I was able to start Outlook there. Logging on with my account again and Outlook failed again.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Any suggestion where I might get one?
    You may be able to get a known good copy of the system file from another computer that is running the same version of Windows with your computer.

Good to hear that setting up a new local user account will fix this issue for you. It seems that your original user account might be corrupted. If manually replace Windows.UI.Xaml.dll does not work for you, please refer to the following links to fix your corrupted user profile.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/947215

If these link do not work, I am afraid that your original user profile cannot be fixed. The only way we have left is using your new user account instead of original user account.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Rick,

I don't have access to another computer that is running the same version of Windows as mine. Is there anywhere / anyone at MS that would provide one for download?

I would prefer to go this route first, before trying to rebuilding my profile...

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi ,

Sorry, due to the limited working environment, there is no the same version of Windows on my side. hope some other community members who have the same version of Windows could join this thread and share it for us.

Best regards

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:43 AM
  • OK

@all - anyone have a known good copy Windows.UI.Xaml.dll file version 10.0.14393.0

I am running German Windows 10 Pro

Ver 1607

OS Build 14393.51

64bit

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:46 AM
  • I'm already try it that and restart (Copy from another laptop and renamed with .old the original) . After the logon screen is looping. Then I back to the original file from command promp in startup settings. I read another post

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/shellexperiencehostexe-exception-code-0xc000027b/c00ad1da-0492-4e7d-a02d-6cacb0fc4069

I change the permisions for that font to full access and restart the laptop, Outlook works again. I will monitor this solution.

Note. I uninstall the "Display Link software"

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the permissions and restarted. Still get same error.

I will try to get a known good copy of the File and see what that does.

UNLESS....someone else (MSFT!!!) has a better suggestion?

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:06 AM
  • OK - I went back and changed the permissions for all Arial fonts, didn't reboot (yet) and Outlook starts.

Will reboot later (got other stuff running) and see if that has so far solved the problem.

*fingerscrossed*

• Marked as answer by FS_FRA Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:35 AM
  • This was the fix. Change permissions to Arial Narrow.

Strange bug...?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:56 AM
  • Same problem here, what kind of permissions did you set to Arial Narrow?

I have the same error on event viewer. The outlook crash just after the credentials windows open.

Any idea?

Sunday, September 4, 2016 10:44 PM
  • I had the same issue at one of my customers. I solved this problem by creating a new Outlook Profile and remove the old one. (via Contol Panel -> Mail).
    Monday, September 5, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hugo,

Thanks!

I contacted office 365 support and they suggest me the same idea.

That is a good workaround.

I hope the issue will be fixed by Microsoft, when my exchange password expires i will have the same problem again.

Monday, September 5, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Thanks.  I was having this same issue and when I deleted the Mail account and rebuilt it was fixed!  It was only associated with a POP account and not my MS Exchange.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:54 AM
  • I fiddled around with this issue for quite some time. The fix ended up being extremely simple. The user had multiple email accounts set up in his Outlook profile. One of the email accounts had the incorrect password. Once we changed the password to the correct one, Outlook opened successfully and the Windows.UI.Xaml.dll error message was no longer generated. I don't quite understand why an incorrect password generated this error message, but I digress. I wouldn't have a job if Microsoft made dependable software.
    • Proposed as answer by Bogdan Craciun Friday, November 25, 2016 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Outlook kept failing for me with the above error. At one point, I was prompted for an email account password on an account I haven't used for many months. This gave me the idea to deleted all unused profiles via Control Panel mail. Without changing my current (active) profile, the error has gone away.

• Edited by td4d Friday, January 13, 2017 8:27 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 8:26 PM
  • What does it mean "Change permissions to Arial Narrow."???
    Which steps needed?

Thanks a lot!

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:34 AM
  • - Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts

- Open "Arial"

- Right-Click "Arial Narrow" (or any/each of the others) and choose Properties

- Select the Security tab

- Edit permissions as desired

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:36 PM
  • I deleted saved credentials relating to accounts I had in Outlook (via the Credential Manager), then using the Control Panel > Mail dialog I removed my iCloud accounts and data files, and then Outlook opened successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by Tom Hunter Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 6:33 PM
  • I faced the same issue.... I removed old profiles and changed the mail settings from offline mode to online and connected Outlook and it worked :)
    Monday, April 17, 2017 3:30 AM
  • I deleted saved credentials for Icloud. After i do that it looks to wprk properly

After one or two days i becomes again. Some days work another ones no.

Its crazy.

• Proposed as answer by CKZapz Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CKZapz Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:38 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 6:42 PM
  • I had a user experience this same issue as well. Outlook crashed on startup, during the outlook spash screen, specifically while it was trying to load the profile. Event log showed that outlook.exe crashed due to "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll"

The user had recently received a prompt to change her Office 365 password (Exchange online), but she couldnt remember her current password and ignored it. A few days later when her password expired, the problem occured. 

I reset the Office 365 password for the user. i tried going back in to outlook, hoping it would prompt for the new password. it didnt, and i had the same problem. 

I tried deleting the saved credentials within Credential Manager, and had the same problem. 

I went in to Control Panel\Mail, the settings opened up for the primary profile. i clicked on the 'E-mail Accounts' button to view the email accounts configured. Immediately after clicking this, i received a prompt to enter the password for the user's email account. I entered the password, ticked the save password box, clicked OK, and exited out of the mail setup screens. 

I then tested Outlook. It opened immediately, connected, and synced email from the Exchange server.

(My) problem fixed!

Hope this helps someone.

Thursday, July 6, 2017 12:57 PM
  • I always like to take time to thank people/posts/responses that have been helpful to me.  After reading over many articles I tried the solution put forth by Taylor Bryant and it worked like a champ.  THANK YOU.  Great stuff man.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Thanks. Was it! 
    Friday, December 1, 2017 3:39 PM