none
Gadget Sidebar not working properly

Question

•  

About 2 days ago my Gadget sidebar stopped working.  I've rebooted, remove and re-added all gadgets and also removed my ini file from C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar and it still doesn't work.

The controls don't render correctly and I can't use the wrench on any of them.  The clock has a black background and face and the hands never move.  The notepad just has the [x] and no display.  The weather has a white box with a blue circle icon that has an "i" in it.

I just created a new user on this machine and logged in for the first time.  The sidebar starts, renders and works properly.  I logged off the new account and then went back into mine and it's broken again.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:00 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem.

It happened right after I installed vista sp1.  The first two installations would not go through, on step 3 at 100% it encountered an error and reversed the installation.  I disabled mcaffee and it installed with no problem.

I have a black clock on the sidebar, none of my gadgets work, and the wrench is not available on all of them.

I uninstalled the sp1 update, and it still doesn't work.  I've googled and tried reinstalling the sidebar via the command prompt, but that doesn't work either.

Webbert, did you recently install vista sp1?

• Proposed as answer by albassiri Monday, March 28, 2011 12:15 PM
    Monday, March 31, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Same here.  Sidebar stopped working right after sp1 installed.  Rebooted several times of no avail.

• Proposed as answer by carjx1944 Monday, February 07, 2011 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:22 PM
  • This helps in most cases.

Gadgets in the Windows Vista Sidebar are not displayed correctly:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/208/1/Gadgets-in-the-Windows-Vista-Sidebar-are-not-displayed-correctly.html

Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:54 AM
  • I do have SP1 installed. I rebuilt my system from the ground up then applied SP1 before anything else. The system ran fine for several days before it stopped working.  As I stated in my original message, if I create another account that account only works fine. 

I tried the steps outlined in the article and also rebooted as suggested by some.  This did NOT fix the problem.  The side bar still does not work.  The image of my clock matches that of the picture in the article.

Monday, April 07, 2008 11:25 AM
  • As the problem is seen only in your user account, I think this is a registry permissions issue then. Download Process Monitor and trace the registry access in realtime. You should be looking for ACCESS DENIED entries, note down the key names and fix the Permissions for them.

Check this guide:

Ask the Performance Team : Troubleshooting with Process Monitor:
    http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/06/01/troubleshooting-with-process-monitor.aspx

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Ran it and got 3787 rows excluding Result = SUCCESS.

The Results that were returned fall into the following categories.

============================
    BUFFER OVERFLOW
    BUFFER TOO SMALL
    END OF FILE
    FAST IO DISALLOWED
    FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS
    IS DIRECTORY
    NAME COLLISION
    NAME NOT FOUND
    NO MORE ENTRIES
    PATH NOT FOUND
    REPARSE

Looking through it I don't see anything that pops out at me.  Any way to narrow it down from here?
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Can you upload the log file (in a compressed format) online and provide the link here? I'll see if I can find anything from it.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:45 AM
  • A number of days ago a few of my gadgets disappeared from the screen. i.e. the Weather and Calendar gadgets. The clock gadget was showing up as a black square panel with the red arms pointing at 12 oclock.

I googled solutions to death with a lot of them being more overkilll than what was required to fix my issue.The solutions ranged from reinstalling windows 7, to restoring to an earlier restore point and a whole bunch of other stuff.Finally I came across some information which had me looking at certain registry keys.

It wasn’t until I look at a particular set of registry keys listed below that I notice there was something wrong.

Read this info:

http://thedailyreviewer.com/vista/view/sidebar-gadget-error-101126556

then check for any strangeness in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet =
    Settings\Zones\0

Under the zones where it shows keys 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc about the zero key there was an additional entry with some kind of garbage character in it… I simply deleted that garbage key and left 0- 4 in place but checked their values.

Once I resaved the registry my Clock apparent normal again, the calendar and weather gadget reappeared

Now I’m not saying this solution fits everybody’s situation but it certainly worked for my problem and it sure as heck beats completely reinstalling windows from scratch or looking for some early restore point when you know you never set that up in the first Place!

I can’t believe there’s no way of reinstalling these gadget things if you accidentally or otherwise… something happens to them.

• Proposed as answer by DNA Chair Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:26 AM
  • The same happened to me. I tried all of the 'fixes' from google which did not work. Then I used regedit to look for the registry key you suggested and I found the same garbage key above the keys 0 - 4 so I deleted it, saved, rebooted and my sidebar is back to normal. Thankyou so much.
    • Proposed as answer by athinoumpa Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:15 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Try this one, It may work! Ive done all that stuff but it doesn’t solve the problem. Downlaod Malwarebyte here is the link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free download) install>Full scan> removed selected. Mine was not displaying properly like that in the above but this solve my problem! Good luck!
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:24 AM
  • I have also faced the same problem of malfunctioning of Windows 7 gadgets (black background of clock, no view of currency gadget etc.). I followed the same procedure and deleted the extra folder with name (L).

To solve the issue I have followed these steps:

Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
    Navigate to the following branch:

Settings\Zones\

Within the  Zones folder I found an extra folder with name (L) which I have deleted and left the 0,1,2,3,4 folder as such then closed the window, rebooted the system. Finally I got my gadgets normal. Thanks for the help, hope this will work for others also.

Thanks for the excellent solution.

• Proposed as answer by lahiruj5 Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:36 PM
  • A number of days ago a few of my gadgets disappeared from the screen. i.e. the Weather and Calendar gadgets. The clock gadget was showing up as a black square panel with the red arms pointing at 12 oclock.

I googled solutions to death with a lot of them being more overkilll than what was required to fix my issue.The solutions ranged from reinstalling windows 7, to restoring to an earlier restore point and a whole bunch of other stuff.Finally I came across some information which had me looking at certain registry keys.

It wasn’t until I look at a particular set of registry keys listed below that I notice there was something wrong.

Read this info:

Settings\Zones\0

Under the zones where it shows keys 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc about the zero key there was an additional entry with some kind of garbage character in it… I simply deleted that garbage key and left 0- 4 in place but checked their values.

Once I resaved the registry my Clock apparent normal again, the calendar and weather gadget reappeared

Now I’m not saying this solution fits everybody’s situation but it certainly worked for my problem and it sure as heck beats completely reinstalling windows from scratch or looking for some early restore point when you know you never set that up in the first Place!

I can’t believe there’ss no way of reinstalling these gadget things if you accidentally or otherwise… something happens to them.

I had the same problem with sidebar on Windows 7 Ultimate and i've tried a bunch of things to fix it.The only thing that worked was deleting a file named L above the 0 key.Thank you so much for saving my day!!!I just wanted to add that i had to reboot my computer before my sidebar came back to life! :)  Best regards,Athina!
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:13 AM
  • If the cmd way didnt work, try this:

go to programs>accessoires blabla>type in run>type in regedit, enter> go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Currentversion -> Internet Settings -> Zones -> if there is a weird thing that looks like an l, delete that folder and restart your computer. GADGETS WORK AGAIN!!

Friday, December 03, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I've been faced the same problem! Thanks DNA share and all others! That fixed the problem!.....

Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Thank you DNA Chair and Stan Roelofs! My clock was gay and when I did the things that you guys said you did and I restarted my clock works again. It looked more like a box than an I or an L. Thanks again guys!
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 3:41 AM
  • My gadgets are doing the exact same thing as what everyone is describing, but I'm not seening the weird entry like you guys are.  I only see 0,1,2,3,4 - each with lots of entries within them. 

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Thank you very much veebull I too had same problem deleting the key with 'L' folder and rebooting my system solved the problem. one suggestion is, do empty your recycle bin before rebooting your system. Thank you man
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:01 PM
  • This worked.  But how the ____ you know what a weird thing should look like, or be there or not?  Man - that's just spooky.  I could praddle around in those subdirectories for a hundred years and never see that.

How'd that "thing" get in there, anyway?

By the way ... THANK YOU!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Omg!  Finally.  I weather gadget hasn't for months and deleting that "L" folder thing in the registry fixed it.  Also, it fixed a problem with the Symantec CD Browser (browser.exe) autorun interface (It uses IE) from various Symantec products not displaying properly.  All you'd see if mostly Javascript junk.  That was driving me nuts too.  Thank you! :D
    • Proposed as answer by MariMaroulaki Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:21 AM
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Thanks alot for the help!!!It was very annoying watching my clock being black and there was no way of figering out the way to fix it on my own!!!:D
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:33 AM
  • I had the same issue with my gadgets a week ago and also googled some fixes for almost half a day until I stumbled to working fix. I used the same process stated by VBULL and DNA Chair however what I did wrong is I deleted the entire entries under zones. To be in specific, I believe I have deleted the entire folder of it, not the keys. It did fix my issue with the gadgets, however will this affect my system though? Other programs maybe?
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:43 PM
  • I had the same problem by getting that strange clock and none of the other gadgets working...i basically just followed your instructions...which were simple and easy to follow and I then re-started the system, then the gadgets appeared normal again. I can't thank you enough. Thanks :)
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:43 AM
  • HMM...i have yet to find anything related to the side bar problem, and this link..thanks
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Man, you are the man, this is the only way.. i solved my problem by deleting all the other garbage characters, once i closed the gadgets and re run them, then everything is just fine... thanks.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:05 PM

Read this info:

Settings\Zones\0

I can’t believe there’s no way of reinstalling these gadget things if you accidentally or otherwise… something happens to them.

You're a legend! This saved my sidebar! TOTALLY works! THANKS!!! :)
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:09 AM

Read this info:

Settings\Zones\0

You're a legend! This saved my sidebar! TOTALLY works! THANKS!!! :)

MS provides FixIt for the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657/en-us

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Thanks!!!!!!! You are the boss. The savior. The legend. I was running out of ideas over this problem The only solution left was to reinstall everything all over again...from a scratch. Thanks so much. Hope all are benefited by this.
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Dave! it worked for me..thanks a lot man...it took me several hours trying to restore my gadgets...now its fine...thanks ^^
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:25 PM
  • thnx its working
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Veebull, 

Thanks for the perfect solution. I was having the same problem in windows 7. I deleted the folder "L" and rebooted the system. Then I can see my gadgets working fine. Nice and simple solution you provided. Many Thanks.

Andy

India

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:38 PM
  • This fixed it. Thanks!!
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Yes...

Veebull, you're the guy... straight to the point, through a simple way.

Congratulations, your hint save me a lot of time with slow Vista bootings.

Thanks

Aluísio

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:53 PM
  • THANXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:17 AM
  • Hello there...

I tried your above suggestions in the hope it would fix my gadgets, but NOTHING. All of them are not working. Here is what I did try already:

I unchecked and then re-checked the gadgets (and re-started them) didnt work

I tried to re-add them

I have malwarebytes and ran them and no fix

I added a guest account and tried them on that account and they dont work there either

I tried your above suggestions and that didnt work either. I was hoping it would since so many people said it worked for them, but NOT for me either...

They have not worked for a long time and decided for the new year I would finally research them and try to fix them...

Any other suggestions? I would like them to work again...

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 11:43 PM
  • try this it is solving my proplem

I have also faced the same problem of malfunctioning of Windows 7 gadgets (black background of clock, no view of currency gadget etc.). I followed the same procedure and deleted the extra folder with name (L).

To solve the issue I have followed these steps:

Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
    Navigate to the following branch:

Settings\Zones\

Within the  Zones folder I found an extra folder with name (L) which I have deleted and left the 0,1,2,3,4 folder as such then closed the window, rebooted the system. Finally I got my gadgets normal. Thanks for the help, hope this will work for others also.

Thanks for the excellent solution.

• Proposed as answer by Dr.Walaa Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:06 AM