none
Buildin Windows 7 Backup cannot save to a network location RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Please check the following:
    1. Please check if you can back up to local disk.
    2. Please run the following command to check if the writers are working(you can copy the output information here):
    vssadmin list writers
    3. Please check if any VSS errors in Application and System logs(also you can copy to here if you want).

Thanks.

Thanks
    Zero
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:41 PM

All replies

• You need to contact your System Administrator to ensure you have all the correct settings for your environment.

As the error message states "The specified network location cannot be used" and to "Verify the path points to a correct network location folder and that the supplied credentials can be used for write access to the folder."

The error message is about network settings, not local settings on your computer.

No one here can provide the answer since no one here knows any of the specifics of the network you are on.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Leo HuangModerator Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by alex100022 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:12 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:48 PM
  • The problem is that I have full access to network location and even tried two different network shares on different machines and get the same issues. Same goes for another machine. If I manually browse to the network share and copy files or create folder it works, so means I have access.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Perhaps you might get more information in the networking forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/threads

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:30 PM
  • The book Windows 7 The Missing Manual describes that the home version of Windows 7 does not support backing up to a network drive.

You guys should all know that Microsoft is all about increasing their revenue, not customer support.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Go Purdue Boilers wrote:

The book Windows 7 The Missing Manual describes that the home version of Windows 7 does not support backing up to a network drive.

You guys should all know that Microsoft is all about increasing their revenue, not customer support.

You apparently have posted in the wrong thread.  Or, are you a TROLL?

I see nothing in any of these posts that mention anything about a Home version of Windows 7!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi Alex,

What version of Windows 7 did you use?

Please try to temporary disable firewall and antivirus program for test.

When you select a network location to backup, try to use \\IPaddress\share instead of \\servername\share and also check Control Panel\Credential Manager if any incorrect credential exist.

Furthermore, check these services are started:

check for the services, click on start, in the start search bar type services and then press enter.

Please check that the following services are enabled:

- "Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic.

- "COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual.

- "System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic.

- "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual.

- "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.

- "Block Level Backup Engine Service" should be enabled, manual

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Hi Alex,

What version of Windows 7 did you use?

Please try to temporary disable firewall and antivirus program for test.

When you select a network location to backup, try to use \\IPaddress\share instead of \\servername\share and also check Control Panel\Credential Manager if any incorrect credential exist.

Furthermore, check these services are started:

check for the services, click on start, in the start search bar type services and then press enter.

Please check that the following services are enabled:

- "Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic.

- "COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual.

- "System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic.

- "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual.

- "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.

- "Block Level Backup Engine Service" should be enabled, manual

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

I've done everything you told me and still doesnt work.

\\192.168.0.224\p$\LT

When I manually browse to it, I can write,create and read no issues.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

2. Please run the following command to check if the writers are working(you can copy the output information here):
    vssadmin list writers
    3. Please check if any VSS errors in Application and System logs(also you can copy to here if you want).

Thanks.

Thanks
    Zero
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

vssadmin list writers

Thanks.

Thanks
    Zero
    None of the VSS Writers show errors
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Then how about the step 1 and step 3, if local backup works and if you found any error messages in event logs(such as VSS event 12292 in Applicaiton events, if yes, please paste it here)?
    Thanks
    Zero

• Edited by Zero Xia Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:00 AM
  • This may be outdated but I figured I would share. I had the same issue...verified share and NTFS permissions had R&W access. I had to use domain\username to get it working. Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by johngalt_y2k Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:44 PM
  • What bkofer said!  user@domain isn't good enough, it has to be domain\username! Please upvote so that this hopefully shows up more readily for the other folks searching for answers.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:05 PM
  • On a Windows 8 Pro machine using Windows 7 File Recovery Backup i'm getting the same error. However, it's working from a command prompt using Wbadmin: 

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\server\sharedlocation -allcritical -user:domain\username -password:XYZ

Dan Visan

• Proposed as answer by Papakuya Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:59 PM
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:44 PM
  • SOLVED!  Thank you so much, Dan.

I was trying to backup to my Synology DS412+ NAS connected via LAN wherein it's possible to Read/Write if seen in Windows Explorer but Windows Backup & Restore would not work via its Graphical User Interface.

I copy/pasted what it looks like (below) if initiated at the command line. Note that I ran CMD.exe as Administrator.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\DS412PLUS\downloads\Mom
    _Win7_Backup -allcritical -user:DS412PLUS\papa -password:xxxxx
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Note: The backed up data cannot be securely protected at this destination.
    Backups stored on a remote shared folder might be accessible by other
    people on the network. You should only save your backups to a location
    where you trust the other users who have access to the location or on a
    network that has additional security precautions in place.

Retrieving volume information...
    This will back up volume System Reserved (100.00 MB),Local Disk(C:) to \\DS412PL
    US\downloads\Mom_Win7_Backup.
    Do you want to start the backup operation?
    [Y] Yes [N] No Y

The backup operation to \\DS412PLUS\downloads\Mom_Win7_Backup is starting.
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    The backup of volume System Reserved (100.00 MB) successfully completed.
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (0%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (1%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (2%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (3%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (4%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (5%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (6%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (7%).
    Creating a backup of volume Local Disk(C:), copied (8%).

Thursday, June 4, 2015 11:07 PM
  • It's easier than that and works with the graphical GUI as well.

Just preempt the user name with the server name (since that name is stored there and not on your windows PC):

servername\username
    DISKSTATION\PETER

And off you go. It's that easy.

• Proposed as answer by JHennek Monday, November 30, 2015 9:22 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Thank you JHennek that did the trick. Kudos for simplicity as well!
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:37 PM
  • TKS!!
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:02 PM