none
MDADM on Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Noticed on the insider preview of the anniversary update that mdadm was available on the linux subsystem from Ubuntu. 

Does this mean that we will finally be able to mount ext4 mdadm RAID partitions in Windows?

Thank you

Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:46 AM

Answers

• mdadm is the front end to Linux software RAID in the Linux kernel. WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) is not a Linux kernel. So the answer to your question is no. Just because a command exists in Ubuntu for Windows doesn't mean it makes any sense for it to be there.

BTW, there is nothing to prevent MS from adding Linux software RAID to Windows. And you wouldn't need mdadm in WSL for that. So your question arises from a faulty premise.

If you want to Linux software RAID, use Linux and use Windows 10 as a KVM guest.

If you want Win 10 to run natively and RAID, then look into RAID solutions for Win 10.

If you're dual booting Linux and Win 10, then you might need some kind of hardware RAID that both OSes can handle. But hardware RAID can be a bad idea. but I digress.

Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:35 PM

All replies

• mdadm is the front end to Linux software RAID in the Linux kernel. WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) is not a Linux kernel. So the answer to your question is no. Just because a command exists in Ubuntu for Windows doesn't mean it makes any sense for it to be there.

BTW, there is nothing to prevent MS from adding Linux software RAID to Windows. And you wouldn't need mdadm in WSL for that. So your question arises from a faulty premise.

If you want to Linux software RAID, use Linux and use Windows 10 as a KVM guest.

If you want Win 10 to run natively and RAID, then look into RAID solutions for Win 10.

If you're dual booting Linux and Win 10, then you might need some kind of hardware RAID that both OSes can handle. But hardware RAID can be a bad idea. but I digress.

Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:35 PM
  • "BTW, there is nothing to prevent MS from adding Linux software RAID to Windows. And you wouldn't need mdadm in WSL for that. So your question arises from a faulty premise."

Could you expand for those of us who may not be as knowledgeable in this area? 

My use case is that I'd like to use my RAID in both Windows and Linux as I use them interchangeably while working. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:21 PM