none
USB flash drive issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have two identical machines, both 64 bit. One was purchased with Windows 7

on it. The other was purchased with Vista Business. I could plug my USB flash drive

in either no problem. It is NTFS. We did an in place upgrade of the Vist to WIndows 7.

Now when i plug in my drive it says the device must be formatted. When I cancel it

says it has an unrecognizable filesystem. I can move the flash back to the other Win 7

or any machine and it fine. I have been googling all day. I removed all old USB drivers.

Can anyone give me something to fix this without having to re-install WIn 7 fresh.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can try to reassign a drive letter to check if it works. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click Computer and select Manage.

2. In the left pane, click Disk Management

3. Right-click your flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4. Click Remove - Yes - OK

Now check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

You can try to reassign a drive letter to check if it works. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click Computer and select Manage.

2. In the left pane, click Disk Management

3. Right-click your flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4. Click Remove - Yes - OK

Now check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:35 AM
  • The drive letter re-assignment does not work. I inserted another

flash drive that had no data I was concerned about. I said yes

to format. It can't even format. I have done everything short

of a Win 7 reload and am at that point. Can anyone help?

Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:30 PM