none
Multiboot several MS Win 8.1 installations

Question

• I have problem finding a solution of getting a simple "boot text menu" (a view alike what Win XP boot.ini gave) right after boot loader (\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi) has ran.
    How is that possible?

WHAT I DON'T WANT:
    Having Windows, as default, using 10 seconds before getting into the default graphical menu, where it's possible to make the choices of which installation to enter.
    If picking one which isn't the default installation, it takes 4 seconds before it reboot, and then on top of that 15 seconds before getting into non-default-installation two.
    Next time, after a new reboot, and I want to pick installation three, it will again takes 4 seconds before it reboot, and then on top of that 15 seconds before getting into non-default-installation three.
    As I'm running test on several installations, I'll need to go in and out of these installations quite often. I don't want to spill my time waiting before I'm able to choose my installation.
    (On the other hand, it's no problem that the startup, after done my choice, are taking some time (I'll then have time to pick a cup of coffee)).

JohS

SOFTWARE:
    MS Windows 8.1, eng, x64

HARWARE:
    Laptop, ASUS X550ZE (R510ZA-XO032H) 15.6''

DISK UEFI/GPT native (non CMS):
    Disk0, part1, (sda1), EFI, 100 MB, FAT32
    Disk0, part2, (sda2), Recovery, 900 MB, NTFS
    Disk0, part3, (sda3), MSR, 128 MB
    Disk0, part4, (sda4), Win 8, 75 GB, NTFS, C:\        < - - - installation one
    Disk0, part5, (sda5), Document, 120 GB, NTFS, D:\
    Disk0, part6, (sda6), Restore, 15 GB, NTFS
    Disk0, part7, (sda7), Win 8, 125 GB, NTFS, E:\       < - - - installation two
    Disk0, part8, (sda8), Win 10, 90 GB, NTFS, F:\       < - - - installation three

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hi JohnnySo,

Thank you for your question.

This is default, we could not change it. When we change another OS, PC will address a new boot partition after you choose a new system, it is by design. If you would link to switch OS frequently, we suggest you use hyper-v, we could learn more details which is about hyper-v by the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753637%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:45 AM