none
Empty, Indelible Playlist in Windows Media Player

Question

• Windows Media Player is listing an empty, un-named playlist in my library.  The playlist file doesn't exist in my \user\music\playlist directory (I deleted all playlists in troubleshooting).  The playlist says 'All' in the navigation area, but in the library it is blank.

If I right-click the item, no commands have any effect.  I can select 'add to > Play list', but nothing happens.  I can try to rename the playlist, and it does let me type a name, but it does not safe or take effect.

It's not really hurting anything that I can determine, and if I create new playlists, they will work normally.  But are there any ideas of how to remove this one?

Monday, February 01, 2010 8:03 PM

Answers

• Undeletable, 'phantom' media library items seem to be a common isssue in WMP 12. You might be able to get rid of the playlist by restoring the library: Tools - Advanced - Restore media library. Note that restoring the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 08, 2010 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Please check if rebuildding the Windows Media Player database can resolve this issue:

1.     Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete.

Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

3.     Restart Windows Media Player.

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1.     Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete.

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Create or change a regular playlist in Windows Media Player

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter

If the issue still exists, you can try uninstall and reinstall Windows Media Player by the steps below:

1.     Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

2.     Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3.     Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4.     Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5.     Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• Undeletable, 'phantom' media library items seem to be a common isssue in WMP 12. You might be able to get rid of the playlist by restoring the library: Tools - Advanced - Restore media library. Note that restoring the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I'll give it a shot tonight after work.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Please check if rebuildding the Windows Media Player database can resolve this issue:

1.     Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete.

Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1.     Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete.

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Create or change a regular playlist in Windows Media Player

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter

If the issue still exists, you can try uninstall and reinstall Windows Media Player by the steps below:

1.     Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

2.     Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

3.     Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4.     Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

5.     Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:45 AM
  • I wonder what kind of quality control has been applied to the WMP12 library database. I can think of least 10 different user operations that will result in a corrupted database! I thought Microsoft had even a database product in their portfolio. It seems that some internal training to the WMP12 team on how to use a database would have been beneficial.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Thanks, it worked.  And I finally also spent time removing all the none-music audio files from my music folder and putting them somewhere else so WMP won't index and play my ringtones and stuff.

Monday, February 08, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Glad to hear the suggestion worked!
    Monday, February 08, 2010 3:15 AM