none
CD/DVD drive not detected after win7 install.

Question

•  Soon after installing Windows 7 RC I realized that my CD/DVDs were no longer reading. I went to "my computer" and it was no longer listed. I can't get anything to fix it. I tried device manger with detecting new devices and it found my drive but gave me this message-

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Device manager also told me that I have the best and latest drivers installer, which kind of contradicts it telling me that it's missing or corrupted. My CD drive works perfectly in Ubuntu (no surprise.) It also worked in Vista so this is clearly a windows7 issue, right? How do I fix it?

I have a HP Pavilion dv6985se Entertainment Notebook PC with a LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support Multimedia Driver.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 12:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• I had a similar issue with a Dell machine with both 32 and 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64bit but was fine in the DELL OEM Vista config.  Mine showed up, but after a few seconds vanished.  IF i ejected the drive and popped it back in, it showed up - but then vanished again shortly after.

In the end the fix was to change the SATA to ATA mode from AHCI, reinstall and bingo - works fine.

That fix will only work if the drive is a SATA DVD drive

I suspect there maybe a BIOS issue which Dell have yet to fix.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the steps from the link below to troubleshoot the issue:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:08 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:44 AM
  • I'm having this same problem. I've got a Dell E310 that I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate 32. All was working fine (other than some of my software no longer being functional) for 4 days, and then today all 3 of my cd/dvd drives are no longer recognized. I have 2 internal & 1 external drive, and all three show up in the device manager with the little yellow symbol.  Device manager also told me that I have the best and latest drivers installer, which kind of contradicts it telling me that it's missing or corrupted (code 39)

I got my hopes up when I saw this forum, but then when I click the link posted by Novak Wu above, it shows the message:

This article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you.
    Visit the Windows 7 Solution Center

I go there, and then I'm back to ground zero trying to find a solution to this problem.

I NEED MY DRIVES!!!
    Monday, November 09, 2009 2:16 AM
  • LB_Northwind, try following the steps for Windows Vista in the link. The steps should for Windows 7 also.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 5:51 AM
  • WOW! It fixed it. I can't believe after hours spent on this that this was all I had to do! Thanks so much! I was starting to lose faith in the new windows. They really should add this to those freakin' help(less) menus that windows has or make the pointless troubleshooter fix this automatically. Maybe putting out an update for it or perhaps even simply updating everything on the microsoft site to include windows 7's fixes. Them slacking like this is starting to make them look more and more like macs.
    • Proposed as answer by mrhawes Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:08 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:32 AM