none
WIndows 7 Login Screen Mouse & Keyboard failure RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, fully patched and kept up to date.

I was away a few days and came home to find my machine on but with a bluescreen of death. I rebooted and Windows did some repair stuff and then it brought up the login screen. Issue is mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, so no ability to login to do anything further. I tried safe mode with networking same issue. I tried a PS2 keyboard, same issue. (Both keyboards work in bios and on any windows repair screens). Next I tried a plain old USB mouse, same issue. I tried checking bios for USB enabled (it was) and then rebooted, same issue.

In normal and safe mode windows boots fine into login screen but then loses keyboard and mouse.

Basic rescue mode on my rescue disk tells me no OS on drive C: (but it boots from there fine except with the no keyboard/mouse issue)

Has anyone any ideas on what I can do? Obviously ntohing has changed onmy machine, keyboard and mouse (and my system generally) were working fine before I left.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform a system restore in WINRE for test:
      1) Restart PC

2) Press “F8” and select “Repair Your computer”

3) choose System Restore.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Leo Huang

Monday, December 19, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your reply.

I have tried this already, both from my separate rescue disk (yes I do have one) and from the F8 boot options on the PC itself.

The rescue tools see and can use my keyboard and mouse but no routines inherent in the rescue tools make any difference. Neither am I able to revert to a restore or even a backup, which I also do regularly. rstrui.exe application error!?

Windows boots up and goes the login screen in both normal and safemode, just no mouse and no keyboard regardless of what i do, therefore no ability to logon and troubleshoot inside a logged on windows. Doesnt matter what mouse or keybaord, I have a few and have tried them all. Seems any HID device is deactivated for some reason?

Monday, December 19, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

If system restore doesn’t work, finally you can try to perform an in-place to fix system issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Did your issue solved? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thanks.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, December 23, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:18 AM