none
Can I dual boot a machine with Windows 32 bit and 64 bit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've a 64 bit machine. I would like to have this machine dual boot with Windows 8 32 bit and Windows 8 64 bit installed on it.

Is this possible? What are the precautions/ steps I have to take?

Thanks!

Nitin

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Answers

• Yes you can, but be aware that 32-bit Windows will not take advantage of all your RAM if you have more than about 3.5GB.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 1:56 PM
  • It doesn’t matter which one you install first, but remember that the first partition you install to will have the boot files on it.

So, if you intend to remove one of the operating systems in the future, make sure the unwanted one is the second one you install, otherwise it’s a somewhat fiddly repair process.

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:04 AM

All replies

• Yes you can, but be aware that 32-bit Windows will not take advantage of all your RAM if you have more than about 3.5GB.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 1:56 PM
  • hi,

yes you can use dual boot. but i would like to suggest you that use any one OS. because now there is  software avabilities for 64bit. use of of it gives fast processing.

thanks. 

D.K.Parmar

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:00 PM
  • I don´t know why do you need it.

I need it because sometimes I had to check some situations in old 16bit applications. I decided to use Hyper V and virtual machine for this purpose . Seem's to me to be more comfortable. I can use both systems in time. 

Jiri Cvrk

Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:53 PM
  • If you have a desktop with an available external 5.25 bay, Antec makes a HHD drive bay http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817991008 that you can use to support the 2nd OS without any of the issues that sometimes occur with dual booting.  Conceptually, it is similar to the floppy except you plug-in a standard HHD.

You install the OS and the app's you want for it on this plug-in HHD. Then whenever you need this OS, just plug in the drive and reboot with it.  When you are done, just unplug and reboot in your primary OS. 

I used to run dual boot XP/Vista and later, XP/Win 7systems.  This drive bay simplifies the process.  It also is great for back-ups.  I back-up on a SATA HHD now instead of a USB external -- much faster. 

Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hi all,

Sorry for delayed response.

First of all thanks a lot for your replies. Actually I'm into testing and want to test the software on both 32 bit as well as 64 bit Windows 8. This is the reason I want that machine to be dual boot.

What I understand from above replies that I should be able to do this without any issues. Can you guys let me know which OS should I install first? 32 bit or 64 bit? So that I can get dual boot menu at the start up...

Thanks once again

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:09 AM
  • It doesn’t matter which one you install first, but remember that the first partition you install to will have the boot files on it.

So, if you intend to remove one of the operating systems in the future, make sure the unwanted one is the second one you install, otherwise it’s a somewhat fiddly repair process.

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Yes you can.

Please read the information and warnings:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2108-dual-boot-windows-10-windows-7-windows-8-a.html

Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:20 AM