none
VPN connection lost after upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10, can't create a new VPN connection RRS feed

• Question

• Had VPN running without a problem on Win 8.1.  Upgraded (not clean install) to Win 10, and now can't see the VPN or create a new one.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Tested process by creating a VPN on an older laptop that I'd also upgraded (Win 7 to Win 10); no problems.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Network and Sharing Center (which often takes a long time to launch)

-  Set up a new connection

- Connect to a workplace

- Use my Internet connection (VPN)

- Enter the vpn server internet address and a name

- Click "Create" (This usually takes several minutes, compared to the old laptop, which took maybe a minute) 

2. After the process completes, I see it under Network Connections with the message "Unavailable - device missing."  If I try to edit properties, nothing happens.

I checked services, and I can't start remote access connection manager and get an error message. It's set to manual and have tried starting it manually, but to no avail.  Get error 1053: Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner.

Tried this as a user with administrator priviledges, then using the (normally hidden) administrator account.  No joy.

Suggestions for next steps?

-- RPM

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi R Pearce Moses,

First of all, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.

According to your description, it seems that there is something wrong with the system files "netsvcs" (Remote Access Connetion Manager service). This service is necessary for VPN.
    Please run "dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth" or "sfc /scannow" to check the health of system files.

We also could try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows (It is applied to Windows 10)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:39 AM