none
Unable to install any operating system.

Question

•  

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that comes with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I have had the system set up to dual boot with WIndows XP for the last few months but this weekend decided to take the plunge and stop using XP altogether.

I unhid the PQSERVICE partition that contains the Vista Home Premium original install that Acer provided. I then attempted to reinstate Acer's MBR that allows the Alt-F10 at the post screen to initiate the reinstall of the factory settings as when it was new. (Acer call this D2D)

This has worked no problem previously when I tried it, but this time I got the blue screen (OUCH).

No matter what I did, the blue screen came back to haunt me.

UBCD4WIN wouldnt start (which the very same copy in the past has worked for me).

I ended up booting off a Knopix live CD and deleting the part of the drive that my windows was installed to, I obviously left the PQSERVICE drive totally intact (but visible).

I then made the PQSERVICE drive hidden again and tried to install my own copy of Vista to the now empty drive. It gets all the way through the usual steps:

- Copying WIndows Files

- Expanding Files

- Installing Features

- Installing Updates ........................... But then it stops.

The error I then get is:

Windows cannot copy files from D:\Sources to C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources. Make

sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error

code: 0x8007045D

I have no other Installation media to try.

Can anybody help? I would be eternally gratefull.

Thank you very much

Gaz

Monday, April 07, 2008 8:32 AM

Answers

• Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program
    https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Hi Gary,

As the PQSERVICE partition is created by Acer, we are not familiar with it. To resolve the issue in a timely manner, I suggest contacting Acer for direct assistance.

http://global.acer.com/operations/america.htm

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:09 AM

All replies

• Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program
    https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Thanks Carey

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been on holiday and only just returned.

I followed the link but when I input my S/N or SNID it says that my reference doesnt exist.

I have a full copy of the PQSERVICE partition that is on my laptop, I copied it to my external HDD using a Knoppix Live disk. Is it possible to restore off this if I boot the laptop from the external HDD? Its a total of about 5.1 GB but I dont know which part is the folder with the information that the laptop needs to restore.

Sorry for the confusing questions, I am not exactly expert at this lol

I have tried to install 2 different copies od Vista and 2 different copies of XP from our licenced work copies, but all of them fail to install

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:33 AM
  • Hi Gary,

As the PQSERVICE partition is created by Acer, we are not familiar with it. To resolve the issue in a timely manner, I suggest contacting Acer for direct assistance.

http://global.acer.com/operations/america.htm

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:09 AM