none
Mouse deselects active window, wont respond until ctrl alt del

Question

• I also have just gotten the same problem. I have tried a new mouse, but it still happens randomly. If I leave the task mgr box open, it seems to work okay on the main screen but still locks up on the task bar on the bottom where the start menu is. So, in order to use that, I have to hit alt cont del again and it will work temporarily. I hope someone comes up with a solution for this. Thanks, John
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• I changed my mouse to a normal dell mouse (roller type) and the problem have just disappeared for the last three days. A few minutes ago I used to old laser mouse, and the problem appeared immediately.

BOTTOM LINE: Changing the mouse solved my problem.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Same problem here on Windows 10; just started happening yesterday and very annoying.
    I can't click on anything in Windows from startup -can't left or right click the taskbar or start menu.

I can however rightclick on the desktop  and leftclick in the menu it opens. I can also leftclick and drag to make a selection box. But left clicking on the desktop itself does nothing.

Also, if I open a window from the start menu with tab/directional keys and enter, then left click on the window it deselects the window as others have said.

It's as if there is a large invisible layer on top of all windows and left click selects it (deselecting everything else).

As others have said, opening and closing task manager fixes the problem.

As my mouse still works and left clicks are causing things to happen I can't blame my mouse hardware/software as my inputs are recognised. This seems to be a Windows problem. Would like someone from Microsoft to post here with a fix as this has been a problem for almost a decade!

Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:09 AM