none
Network problem between Windows 7 and Intel (R) wifi 5100

Question

• After I upgraded my OS from Window Vista to Windows 7 Home premium. I am not able to connect to the internet.

Whenever I log on my modem (2wire2701 HGV-E), they will signal that there are no network connection.

A further message is ""Wireless Network connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration"

As I am computer newbie, apprciate a clear reply. Thank you
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:18 PM

Answers

• I have finally found the solution to this prob and that is to format my harddisk and re-install my old OS. thank you Microsoft...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:59 AM
  • hi Nan,

I have followed all the steps taught in this forum and I even bought a new adapter from Linksys. I reset my 2wire router. I manually key in the IP configuration. I call up the help desk for my internet service provider and the help desk for my laptop vendor. But none could help me to get connected to internet.

finally the solution is to restore my PC to the old Vista using my ACER recovery disk. I guess I am really not a computer newbie anymore, will not be so easily conned to part with my hard earned $$ to buy a useles product.

• Marked as answer by zzzzz78 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• zzzzz78,
    Download and Install 5100 Intel proset drivers here You can change location at the top for different language. Select your version of Win 7 for the correct app/driver.

Then, click Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing>Connect to a network

Follow the wizard for a wireless connection-know your security settings for your wireless to input.

Any success?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I have done this step..but it is still not working:( Do I have to key in the IP address manually?? If yes, can u teach me how to find the IP address and how to key in??)

Thank you in advance:)
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:53 AM
  • does your notebook have an on switch for the wireless adapter or a key combination? What notebook/netbook do you have?

Is it finding available networks? If not the power is not on for the wireless adapter in the computer or it is not on from your router/access point.

No ip information should be needed. it should discover and show it as available.

Let me know what you are observing then I can tell you the next step.

You need power to the adapter (5100) in the notebook.  Click start>type devmgmt.msc and then left click select it from the programs. You'll see a list of headings for devices. Click on Network Adapters  or Wireless Adapter-you should the the 5100. Then right-click on it and select properties- Doe's it say the device is working correctly? Click cancel and close out if yes. If no, close properties, right-click it again and select update drivers and let it find drivers.

Then you can close out of that device and device manager.

Do you recall how you connected previously using wireless?
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:05 AM
  • Next will be checking the 2710HGV-E. Download the user manual here. We can then check your wireless settings. Post tomorrow. It's getting early here.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that your router cannot assign an IP address to your computer or your computer get a duplicated IP address with another computer.

I suggest you reset your router to check the issue. If it does not work. you may also try the following steps.

Reset TCP/IP, proxy and DNS

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following commands, and press enter after each

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

4. Restart the computer to check the issue.

If the issue persists, what about the following steps?

Assign a static IP Address to the problematic computer

==================================

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

3. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

4. Please manually assign the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS settings referring to the settings of the router or the good computer.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Hi Nano Warp,

I am using an Acer Aspire 4736G.

1) My PC is able to find the network and show as connected, but it also has the comment " Unidentified network No internet access".

2) When I right click on the adapter, it does show that the device is working correctly.

3) Previously when I was using Vista with wireless network. It was very easy, it search for the "2710HGV-E" and I input the network security key then bingo I am online.

4) the 2710HGV-E is working properly as my other PC using Windows XP is running fine on it.

Hi Arther,

I have tried these 3 steps but it still not working.

NETSH  INT  IP  RESET

NETSH  WINHTTP  RESET  PROXY

IPCONFIG  /FLUSHDNS

Assign a static IP Address to the problematic computer ==> a stupid question. How to find out the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway??

I tried to use the same info as my other PC...but it give a feedback that another PC is using the same address... So wat can I do now..

Thank you guys for the help:)

Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

The IP address can be the next IP address to your another computer, which is not duplicated with others’. For example, if your ComputerA’s IP address is 192.168.0.1, your ComputerB’s IP address is 192.168.0.2, then you can assign 192.168.0.3 to your problematic computer’s IP address.

The subnet mask will be assigned automatically.

The default gateway should be the IP address of your router.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I have tried it. Now the system is giving me another error message " Security or firewall settings might be blocking the connection"

I have disabled Microsoft firewall as well as uninstall all my anti virus and firewall. Do you have any idea what could be the cause?

thank you:)
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:40 PM
  • zzzzz78,
    Is there a reason you want to configure static ip addresses and not use DHCP?

Log into the router/ap and review the security settings (type and password) to match at the client and assign an ip for this computer to connect to if you want to use a static ip.  
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Does it work after assigning a static IP address and uninstalling the antivirus program?

If it does not work, you may also try the steps listed by the following link.

http://www.visser.com.au/blog/local-access-and-unidentified-network-issue-windows-vista-fix/

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing?

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

System Information

========================

1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Nope.. i have tried. But it does not work at all....I have bought another network adapter by Linksys...showing me the same message... This product is really bad...can U teach me how to restore my pc to Window Vista instead???

I only have the recovery disk created in Vista..
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have another wireless router to test the issue?

If not, I suggest you reset the current one and enable DHCP again.

Enable DHCP

========

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) to “Search” bar and press Enter.

2. Right-click the wireless network connectionand click "Properties".

3. Click to highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click "Properties".

4. Click to choose "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

5. Click "OK".

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:02 AM
  • I have finally found the solution to this prob and that is to format my harddisk and re-install my old OS. thank you Microsoft...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:59 AM

zzzzz78,
    That's why they make User's Guides available. Read them and learn and you are no longer a "computer newbie". If you had switched the router to DHCP, everything is done for you.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 11:52 AM
  • hi Nan,

I have followed all the steps taught in this forum and I even bought a new adapter from Linksys. I reset my 2wire router. I manually key in the IP configuration. I call up the help desk for my internet service provider and the help desk for my laptop vendor. But none could help me to get connected to internet.

finally the solution is to restore my PC to the old Vista using my ACER recovery disk. I guess I am really not a computer newbie anymore, will not be so easily conned to part with my hard earned $$ to buy a useles product.

• Marked as answer by zzzzz78 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:07 AM