none
What do I have to do to get access to "windows update for business?" RRS feed

• Question

• I know what it is, and what it does, and I've read the articles about configuration. What I can't find is how to get access to this service. Do I have to have some other MS product first? I've got 370 MS devices, and I'd love to have this for managing updates.
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:55 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Susan. I neglected to mention that I ain't got no MS server, let alone AD.  After a little more research, it looks like I'd have to have that in order to use this service.

Mark

• Marked as answer by LibraryHack Friday, January 22, 2016 2:02 PM
    • Edited by LibraryHack Friday, January 22, 2016 2:08 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 1:56 PM

All replies

• It's just group policy.  That's it.  There's no special sauce.  You just install the ADMX on your server, enable the settings you want and that's it.  There isn't really a "service" other than just plain old group policy that you then use to opt the computers into whatever settings you want.

If you want MORE ability to control updates I'd recommend something like WSUS which is a role in Server 2012 r2

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:45 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:41 PM
  • Thanks, Susan. I neglected to mention that I ain't got no MS server, let alone AD.  After a little more research, it looks like I'd have to have that in order to use this service.

Mark

• Marked as answer by LibraryHack Friday, January 22, 2016 2:02 PM
    • Edited by LibraryHack Friday, January 22, 2016 2:08 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 1:56 PM
  • If you have Windows 10 pro machines you will have to use registry settings also discussed in the documentation to choose the options you want.

To say that it's a "service" is calling Microsoft update a service.  There's no GUI console in the cloud for this.  It's just options to delay/choose branch deadlines that you can pick either via group policy or via the registry.  

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:13 PM