none
Cannot install wireless PCI card in Windows 7 XP Mode (the XP Virtual Machine)

Question

• THE SITUATION: I need to provide a new system with wireless LAN access in XP Mode for a client.  I successfuly installed an Azio AWD102N wireless PCI card in a new Windows 7 (32 bit) PC we are setting up for a client.  The system is an Intel DG41TX motherboard with a Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz processor and 4GB of memory, 250GB HD and a recordable DVD.  The operating system (Win7, 32bit) already had the necessary drivers for the wireless PCI card, sensed its presence and automatically installed.  Testing showed we can connect to wireless networks with no problem (while in Windows 7).

Windows XP Mode installed without a hitch, as we had verified the CPU supported Hardware Assisted Virtualization prior to our purchase.  We installed the wireless PCI card after installing XP Mode.

THE PROBLEM: When in XP Mode the installed wireless PCI Lan card that works perfectly in Windows 7 doesn't even show up in XP Mode's Hardware Device List.  I tried installing the manufacturer's wireless Lan card Management Utility and drivers, and Virtual XP Machine still don't show any available Wifi cards in the device list.

POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND? I will buy any wireless PCI card that would work, or if anyone knows of a USB wireless card that works in XP Mode I'd be happy to purchase one of those.  Thanks in advance for any help I my receive on this issue.

TLAN

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:10 PM

Answers

• This is expected.  There is no VM software that allows the virtual machine to see a PCI card on the host.

A USB NIC might work since it's passed through the USB bus, but no PCI card will.

If you set it up in Windows 7, the XP VM can use it, it will show up as a regular wired NIC, not a wireless one in the VM, but you will have connectivity, if the host does.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• This is expected.  There is no VM software that allows the virtual machine to see a PCI card on the host.

A USB NIC might work since it's passed through the USB bus, but no PCI card will.

If you set it up in Windows 7, the XP VM can use it, it will show up as a regular wired NIC, not a wireless one in the VM, but you will have connectivity, if the host does.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Unfortunately the Azio card doesn't show up as a wired LAN card in XP Mode - just the onboard Intel NIC (on the DG41TX motherboard).  We will order a USB-to-Wireless adaptor and try that.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:54 PM
  • On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:54:47 +0000, TLan wrote:

Unfortunately the Azio card doesn't show up as a wired LAN card in XP=20
    Mode - just the onboard Intel NIC (on the DG41TX motherboard).=A0 We =

will=20

order a USB-to-Wireless adaptor and try that.

In a virtual machine the host's NIC (whatever kind it is) will be
    "translated" to a standard wired NIC. For example I am running both MS
    Virtual Server, MS VPC 2007 and VMWare Workstation and all have the
    same basic NIC handling.
    A working NIC on the host will be linked into the virtual machine
    where it is presented as a standard wired NIC, in the Microsoft VS and
    VPC case an old Intel one if I remember correctly and ig VMWare it is
    always a VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter even though the NIC on
    the host may be either the wired Broadcomm adapter or the Intel PRO
    WiFi adapter.

Bottom line:
    You do not see the hardware in the virtual machine in the same way as
    you see it on the host, but the connectivity will be there anyway.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:23 PM
  • If you installed the wireless card after Windows VPC, its possible that the VPC network service isn't installed on the new NIC, which would prevent it from showing up for selection in a VM.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:11 PM