how can i downgrade windows 7 to windows xp

Question

• i want to downgrade windows 7 to xp help?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, December 07, 2009 3:16 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• The only downgrade path is a wipe and load, SOME OEm PC builders ahve a program in place if you purchased a new win 7 box they give you an XP install if you need it.

but you are still doing a format of your drive and a install of XP.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Here's a starting point:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3104

If you're an attorney:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/9/68964284-864d-4a6d-aed9-f2c1f8f23e14/Downgrade_Rights.docx

(it's a .docx file, rather than the older .doc).

It looks like downgrade rights for Win7 are mainly for corporate customers. If your license for Win7 is OEM (purchased with a new PC), contact the machine's maker. I'm not optimistic that you'll get much help.

You may also wish to check the manufactuer's web site to see whether XP drivers are available. If not, installing XP on a do-it-yourself basis may not be easy.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hi: Why do you want to downgrade your Windows 7? Is there some compatibility issue with anything that you would like to use? In that case, keep your OS intact and run a virtual machine on it. You may want to try the software VMWare player which helps you install multiple OS over your existing windows 7. (It is free). Your original OS will be intact and you can install Win XP and/or any OS of your choice and run that OS compatible things on your virtual machine. This works perfect.

You can get it from this link.  http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:25 PM
  • It is only a trial version and you need to give them your details just to download it. When your trial is over you need to buy it.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:16 PM
  • "Why do you want to downgrade your Windows 7?"

Duh.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:39 PM
  • can any one help i upgraded my os to windows 7 from xp on hp dv5000 and now have no sound

i have looked and looked for a fix hp dont do the driver update required for win7 and i have been advised to use the xp or vista drivers but when i install them it says can not install no MEDIA found ?????

Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:10 AM
  • can any one help i upgraded my os to windows 7 from xp on hp dv5000 and now have no sound

i have looked and looked for a fix hp dont do the driver update required for win7 and i have been advised to use the xp or vista drivers but when i install them it says can not install no MEDIA found ?????

You have just "hijacked" a thread (posted a new question that has nothing to do with the original thread). You should have made a new posting.

That said, HP doesn't list drivers for Win7 for your onboard sound (Conexant AC-Link , if your notebook is a DV5000 CTO). I'm surprised that the Vista drivers didn't work. Did you try installing them in compatibility mode for Vista?

It looks like there may be drivers available at Windows Update. That didn't work either?

Friday, July 02, 2010 2:25 AM
  • 1. The machine we are installing it on is one of two machines. The sister runs XP.

2. Custom scripts that don't run on Vista or 7

3. Several workhorse printers/copiers don't function with 7

4. Panda and other AV/Malware do not function with Win 7

I understand that you may not have these problems but others do. There has to be a legal and EASY way to do a downgrade. What exactly is MS allowing until 2020? I couldn't find any steps that were not for a manufacturer.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:56 PM
  • i prefer xp more than win7 xp i think is way better less hassle
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:30 AM
  • why not juse use XP Mode for Windows 7? You get the best of both worlds.
    • Proposed as answer by DB bried Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Hi

I am refering to a sugestion you made on the matter of downgrading from windows 7 to windows XP. Your suggestion of using XP mode for windows 7 sounds like the perfect solution to my problemes. Please can you advise me how to persue your suggestion.

regards

DB BRIED

Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi

I am refering to a sugestion you made on the matter of downgrading from windows 7 to windows XP. Your suggestion of using XP mode for windows 7 sounds like the perfect solution to my problemes. Please can you advise me how to persue your suggestion.

regards

DB BRIED

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:57 PM