none
Can't install an app when UAC is enabled. RRS feed

• Question

• This may be an old topic, but it's one that we are starting to have to deal with (finally). When i have UAC enabled (windows 7) and i try to install an app, the app seems to have trouble accessing a file in the system32 folder (a dll) during install. i have tried "run as administrator" and by just double clicking the installer as a administrative user. if i disable UAC then no problem. 

it's also interesting to note that i can browse to the file and open it with notepad. 

Yeah Buddy!

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:03 PM

Answers

• Is this application compatible with Windows 7?

If you enable UAC , after installation, does the application works?

Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

This could be still a permission issue since this issue didn’t happen with UAC disabled. I suggest we first check the issue by taking ownership of this file:

Please find the DLL file first under C:\Windows\system32\ and use following steps to change the owner of this file as your Administrator account:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

In addition, if the above steps doesn’t fix your issue, please help to test if the issue still happen in Clean boot mode. By doing this, we can see whether this issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part software or service.

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

Hope these can be helpful and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:37 AM

All replies

• Is this application compatible with Windows 7?

If you enable UAC , after installation, does the application works?

Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:54 AM
  • Im not sure if it's compatible or not. I am also not sure if it works after installed and enabling UAC (it's not an app that i know how to test).

I am not really concerned with this one app. i just want to understand why the system32 directory becomes off limits to the installer (even when run as an administrator) when UAC is enabled. 

Yeah Buddy!

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Hi Jay,

I understand that when you tried to install an application with UAC enabled, a DLL file in System 32 folder seemed to be accessed denied. You have used administrator account and run the installer as administrator. However, the application can be installed properly with turning UAC off.

At current situation, would you please let me know whether you received any error message or you can tell me the full name of the DLL file you mentioned? If so, please post it here for me to verify this issue.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:10 AM

• Yeah Buddy!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

This could be still a permission issue since this issue didn’t happen with UAC disabled. I suggest we first check the issue by taking ownership of this file:

Please find the DLL file first under C:\Windows\system32\ and use following steps to change the owner of this file as your Administrator account:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

In addition, if the above steps doesn’t fix your issue, please help to test if the issue still happen in Clean boot mode. By doing this, we can see whether this issue can be caused by 3<sup>rd</sup> part software or service.

To test in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note After clean boot troubleshooting, please follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” in above article.

Hope these can be helpful and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:37 AM