none
How can I resize the On-screen keyboard for my laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed official release  version of Windows 8 on my ThinkPad X201 Tablet.

Although the onscreen keyboard is big ans thus easy to type on, I sometimes think it's too big and want to shrink it down a bit.

In windows 7 I could easily resize the keyboard in just the way I would do with normal windows, but this new keyboard doesn't seem to work like that...

Do I have an option to resize the keyboard? If not, is it planned to be coming soon, or is it not planned at all?

Plus, I have designated one of my bezel buttons to call up or close the OSK, and I want it to be the only way to call it up.

I don't want touch input on letterbox to automatically call up the OSK, but I couldn't find that option either. Same question here: Do I have the option? If not, is it coming?

P.S. one more off-topic question: is snap feature for 1280*800 screen resolution coming as well? I really really think the resolution is big enough for snap...It's a pity I can't use it.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• Do I have an option to resize the keyboard?

OSK, yes.  Touch Keyboard, we can only make it a normal mode window and drag it around out of the way.   BTW also notice that the OSK has a helpful Nav button which minimizes it to a single row of useful buttons.   It also has a Fade button but I don't find that as useful.   The biggest nuisance is having to close the OSK in order to use the TIP.

Plus, I have designated one of my bezel buttons to call up or close the OSK, and I want it to be the only way to call it up.

Good move!  That's what I want to do too but my Tablet PC apparently isn't really a Tablet PC because I don't see a Buttons tab in the Tablet PC Settings dialog.  So, I'm going to have to find some other method of using my Tablet PC buttons more usefully.

I don't want touch input on letterbox to automatically call up the OSK, but I couldn't find that option either.

The only thing that is opened automatically is the Touch Keyboard (in its current mode) but that only happens in Metro mode apps.   However, if you kept your OSK always on top in either Nav or Fade mode that couldn't happen.   <eg>

OMG.   With the OSK in Nav state I can use the Touch Keyboard (or TIP) too!  Who knew?  Then your Tablet PC button shortcut won't seem as essential to me.   This has some interesting possibilities.  Thanks for making me find this.  And now I am even more curious to know why F6 is there in the Nav bar because I can think of a few keys that would have been a lot more useful to me. 

Now it's not letting me do that.  WTH?  So back to having just one or the other, regardless of the state of the OSK.   That's what I thought.   YMMV.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:04 AM

All replies

• P.S. one more off-topic question: is snap feature for 1280*800 screen resolution coming as well? I really really think the resolution is big enough for snap...It's a pity I can't use it.

no, MS doesn't have any plans to change the requirements:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/03/21/scaling-to-different-screens.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Do I have an option to resize the keyboard?

OSK, yes.  Touch Keyboard, we can only make it a normal mode window and drag it around out of the way.   BTW also notice that the OSK has a helpful Nav button which minimizes it to a single row of useful buttons.   It also has a Fade button but I don't find that as useful.   The biggest nuisance is having to close the OSK in order to use the TIP.

Good move!  That's what I want to do too but my Tablet PC apparently isn't really a Tablet PC because I don't see a Buttons tab in the Tablet PC Settings dialog.  So, I'm going to have to find some other method of using my Tablet PC buttons more usefully.

I don't want touch input on letterbox to automatically call up the OSK, but I couldn't find that option either.

The only thing that is opened automatically is the Touch Keyboard (in its current mode) but that only happens in Metro mode apps.   However, if you kept your OSK always on top in either Nav or Fade mode that couldn't happen.   <eg>

OMG.   With the OSK in Nav state I can use the Touch Keyboard (or TIP) too!  Who knew?  Then your Tablet PC button shortcut won't seem as essential to me.   This has some interesting possibilities.  Thanks for making me find this.  And now I am even more curious to know why F6 is there in the Nav bar because I can think of a few keys that would have been a lot more useful to me. 

Now it's not letting me do that.  WTH?  So back to having just one or the other, regardless of the state of the OSK.   That's what I thought.   YMMV.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Same problem for me on desktop application. 

windows 8 tabTip is too much big and hide the half of screen. So all input behind are not visible and the user don't see what he is typing. its a really big problem for our customers.

I wish keyboard can be resized like on windows 7, or keyboard be transparent, or keyboard  show on top of it a special input showing what the user is typing could be  interesting.

osk.exe  is less attractive and have a lot of options on right not usefull. Windows 8 visual keyboard tabtip is better but it's really a big problem that it take Half of screen hidding inputs behind. It is really too big, and it would be better that you can resize it on desktop. Windows are resizable on windows why the keyboard is not ?

It could be interesting too that the keyboard keep the last place where you dragged it.  Because when you close it  and reopen it, it is always settled on the bottom of screen.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:46 PM