none
Slow USB transfer rate

Question

•  

I'm been experencing all sorts of USB-related problem of Vista Ultimate 32-bit, installed on my laptop.

I'm very frusfrated with all kind of problem that exist in Vista yet work without a hitch in XP!

Previously, with a fresh install, none of the USB-related problem surfaced until i update the windows with windows update.

then all sort of problem come up.

The one really getting on my nerve is slow usb tranfer speed to/from USB mass storage device.

i.e. using a newly brought Kingston 2GB pendrive with USB2.0 High speed support, transferring a 700MB files would take me 20++minutes!

Sometimes even when i'm tranferring a 10MB files, the transfer rate is just app. 400kb/s.

It's really really slow and totally unacceptable. I've tried with other pendrives on my laptop and same problem occured.

I'm really thinkin revert back to XP if i have the convinience to do so.

Do anyone have a solution or Hotfix from MS to solve this?

I'm using intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced controller on my laptop, together with intel core 2 duo & 1GB ram.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Frankie,

Thanks for your post!

The issue is a little complex, to narrow down the problem’s scope, please try some steps below:

1.    Please keep your Windows Vista up-to-date via Windows Vista.

2.    Try clean boot, in order to exclude 3rd party applications or services that may cause the problem. Please refer to:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

3.    In Device Manager, right-click the USB drive in Disk drives folder, then select Properties, switch to Policies tab, and choose Optimize for performance. Click OK to keep it. Check the issue again.

4.    If possible, please try the USB drive in other computers based on Windows Vista.

5.    If all above fail to work, please backup all the data from USB drive to local hard disk and format the USB drive and then test it.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Frankie,

Thanks for your post!

The issue is a little complex, to narrow down the problem’s scope, please try some steps below:

1.    Please keep your Windows Vista up-to-date via Windows Vista.

2.    Try clean boot, in order to exclude 3rd party applications or services that may cause the problem. Please refer to:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

3.    In Device Manager, right-click the USB drive in Disk drives folder, then select Properties, switch to Policies tab, and choose Optimize for performance. Click OK to keep it. Check the issue again.

4.    If possible, please try the USB drive in other computers based on Windows Vista.

5.    If all above fail to work, please backup all the data from USB drive to local hard disk and format the USB drive and then test it.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:26 AM
  • Thanks for your help!

Speaking of step 3, under the policies, the choice for performance or quick removal was selected for performance and i can't change it as it was being greyed out. and also the step 5, i also tried it before but to no effect totally.

I'll shall try step 2 later in the day as i'm having some problem with my ram.

And by the way, i've been facing problem of being request for driver for installed device, such as webcam on my laptop or cardreader, which is install by the manufacturer, only after i hibernate/sleep the pc.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Hi Frankie,

Thank you for the feedback!

As the new report issue you mentioned is different from the one discussed in this current thread. We'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

We will go on discussing the USB transfer rate issue here. I'm glad to be of assistance.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Proposed as answer by Dude_Virus Friday, May 08, 2009 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:09 AM
  •  

I have a similar problem and I have done some tests and here are my results with two separate USB controllers:

1) MIDTE Armor MDT-SI3592 Aluminum SATA & IDE Combo 3.5" Hard Disk Enclosure

2) Eagle W-Series ET-CSWESU2-BK 3.5" eSATA+USB2.0 to SATA Aluminum External Enclosure

-Both controllers were attached to the same hard drive for all tests: Segate 7200.9 250GB

-All tests were done with a folder containing 4.14Gb of small (few kbs) and large (1gb+) files.

-All windows updates were done previously, and tests were preformed after a fresh boot, and after superfetch had filled its RAM cache.

Specs of the Vista box:

VISTA 32, Home premium

MSI 7184

AMD 4200+ X2 (939)

3GB DDR 400

ATI HD2600

Samsung SPC2504C 250GB

Segate 7200.8 250GB

Specs of XP box:

XP Media Center 2005

ECS RS482-M

AMD 3800+ X2 (939)

1 GB DDR 400

ATI x300

Segate 7200.7 160GB

1) MIDTE Armor MDT-SI3592 Aluminum SATA & IDE Combo 3.5" Hard Disk Enclosure

VISTA 32, Home premium:

-Samsung SPC2504C 250GB

Read times: (m : s : ms)

5:04:24

5:11:23

5:10:26 (preformance optimization enabled)

Write:

8:04:09

8:03:63 (preformance optimization enabled)

XP, Media Center 2005:

Read:

4:01:36

Write:

4:43:13

2) Eagle W-Series ET-CSWESU2-BK 3.5" eSATA+USB2.0 to SATA Aluminum External Enclosure

VISTA 32, Home premium:

-Samsung SPC2504C 250GB

Read:

5:03:37

5:13:06 (preformance optimization enabled)

4:58:54 (preformance optimization enabled)

Write:

7:50:97

8:08:53 (preformance optimization enabled)

In Safe Mode

Read:
    4:23:56

Write:
    5:28:78

-Segate 7200.8 250GB

Read:

5:05:69 (preformance optimization enabled)

Write:

8:08:81 (preformance optimization enabled)

XP, Media Center 2005:

Read:

4:18:88

Write:

4:48:97

Conclusions:

-There is large differences with Vista's USB preformance compared to XP, with Vista being 28% slower when reading from the USB drive and almost 71% slower when writing to the USB drive.

- Enabling preformance optimization has no effect.

-Problem is independent of SATA-USB 2.0 controller.

-Problem is independent of destination/source hard drive.

-Better preformance in safe mode, although, Vista is still slower than XP by 5-10 seconds read, and 40-45 seconds write.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I'm not sure why this thread is marked as answered now when there have been no answers given...
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I was looking forward to much faster transfer rates to the families'  4 mp3 players. My old PC had only usb1 and used XP.

My new PC has vista with usb2 - result - a slow down in transfer times by something like 5 - 10 times on all mp3 players.

I am generaaly quite happy with Vista - but this basic fundamental operation is a MAJOR drawback.

I cannot recommend VISTA until this is rectified, and would go back to XP if it was not so much of a hastle!

Please fix this.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Funny how when the standard "fix" doesn't work, the techs suddenly fall silent...

Slow  USB transfer rates with Vista 32 Ultimate is a problem for me as well.

Looks like there is a yawning chasm of zero progress or work on this problem.

As usual.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:08 PM
  •  It has been 1 month now since I upgraded my XP pro to "Vista Ultimate Headache" I have never had so many unresolved issues vista and this USB issue (30min to transfer 600mb to a flash drive) is the last one. I'm Going back to XP Pro! I knew there was a reason why I waited so long to upgrade! Gaming limitation, resource hog, bug invested Vista is not my cup of tea.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:03 PM
  • How you think it interesting article? - " Does a Smartphone Beat a Laptop "
    HERE: http: // www.articles.maindevice.com/mobile_art_10.htm
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:26 AM
  • I have found that when you connect the USB flash drive to a powered USB hub, the problems seem to go away, the transfer rates seems to DRASTICALLY go up. Which leads me to believe that this is a powered issue.

Given:

Two Machines, one machine has windows XP SP3. One has Vista Home Premium 64 SP1.  And a 1 Gig file.

XP machine:

Copies the file fine when directly connected to the machine.

Vista Machine:

When directly connected to the machine the file copies slowly, and eventually the system will stop copying, the thumb drive will unmount, and would react as though I pulled it out of the drive.

Vista Machine (connected to a Powered Hub):

The file copies faster than I have seen it copy, and the entire file copies completely.

Also another peculiar note. If I connect the Flash drive to the laptop, then I plug the powered USB hub into another port of the Vista computer, it will allow the copy to go through, But the moment I disconnect the Powered hub, the copy process will slow and will eventually fail.
    • Proposed as answer by Munky Spook Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I have a 1TB external hdd and its a usb 2.0 and i used to get amazing speed when i connected it to the the mac installed machine and my broher's XP system .. only with windows vista and windows 7 this seems to be a problem it gives just a trasnfer speed of 5 MB/s and then keeps on dropping down and then stays on 1.5 or 2

on my Mac it used to trasnfer 1 gb file under a min same with the xp but not with vista or windows 7 ... i have tried with a small file and have tried with a big file the results turn out to be the same . have checked in device manager and my ext hdd shows its connected to a hi speed usb hub ... i have tried safe mode and in the safe mode the speeds are little better it gave a max of 10MB/s but not as good as the mac or the xp it is not reaching the 25 MB/s to 30 MB/s which it used to

I work for Dell and its not only a problem with my system there are thousands of users who face the same problem

Not only that i have tried multiple pen drive multiple ports ...... i have checked the bios and all the setting for the usb controller are fine the drivers are up to date how ever i noticed something...

i did a clean install of vista did not conect to the internet therefore no updates downloaded and now i tried the usb transfer .... i got speeds upto 25MB/s to 30MB/s which is good enough as a usb 2.0 theoretically provides 60MB/s

BUT

After downloading the updates from windows update the speeds took a hit now they do not go above 4 MB/s or 5MB/s so this is an issue with the updates some fix needs to be for this cause it is literally frustrating as to trasnfer a file of 1 gb it takes a long time.

same problem with windows 7 RC but in its case the speeds suck from the time u install it...

There are no softwares installed except an antivirus software so chances of some 3rd party programs causing the problem i dont think so.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Hi

Need help with my usb problem

I have a 1TB external hdd and its a usb 2.0 and i used to get amazing speed when i connected it to the the mac installed machine and my broher's XP system .. only with windows vista and windows 7 this seems to be a problem it gives just a trasnfer speed of 5 MB/s and then keeps on dropping down and then stays on 1.5 or 2

on my Mac it used to trasnfer 1 gb file under a min same with the xp but not with vista or windows 7 ... i have tried with a small file and have tried with a big file the results turn out to be the same . have checked in device manager and my ext hdd shows its connected to a hi speed usb hub ... i have tried safe mode and in the safe mode the speeds are little better it gave a max of 10MB/s but not as good as the mac or the xp it is not reaching the 25 MB/s to 30 MB/s which it used to

I work for Dell and its not only a problem with my system there are thousands of users who face the same problem

Not only that i have tried multiple pen drive multiple ports ...... i have checked the bios and all the setting for the usb controller are fine the drivers are up to date how ever i noticed something...

i did a clean install of vista did not conect to the internet therefore no updates downloaded and now i tried the usb transfer .... i got speeds upto 25MB/s to 30MB/s which is good enough as a usb 2.0 theoretically provides 60MB/s

BUT

After downloading the updates from windows update the speeds took a hit now they do not go above 4 MB/s or 5MB/s so this is an issue with the updates some fix needs to be for this cause it is literally frustrating as to trasnfer a file of 1 gb it takes a long time.

same problem with windows 7 RC but in its case the speeds suck from the time u install it...

There are no softwares installed except an antivirus software so chances of some 3rd party programs causing the problem i dont think so.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hey

Ive got to confirm that ive been experiancing the same issue with Vista from the begining. I built a new machine in mid 2007. Built specifically for Vista. Intel Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz CPU - 4GB 2x2GB 800MHZ RAM - Gigabyte P35 MOBO - 160GB Main drive SATA (NO Partions)- 1TB Second drive DATA (NO Partions).

I still have an XP Machine. Single Core 3Ghz Pentium 4 - 2GB Ram. Had for a few years still going strong. Ive got 2 USB drives that i can use to trasfer files. Depending on if i want to watch a film or TV episode on either computer. Transfer speeds from the XP machine or too it are great, just what they should be. However using the same pen drives transfewr onto my Vista machine are painfully slow - maxing out around
    5 Mbps.

I have also previousley installed Windows 7 BETA as a dual boot on my Vista machine. Transfer speeds inside Windows 7 were between
    20-25 Mbps.

Ive always felt Vista's transfer speeds were slow and haven't found any kind of fix for this issue. Ive also proved that its not a hardware problem.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Hi

I'm also having slow USB speeds in Vista and windows7, and in XP its fast.
    So its exact the same hardware, only different operating systems.

You can view the speed difference here:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb6269/ATTO_XP_fast_flash-drive.JPG
    http://users.fulladsl.be/spb6269/ATTO_Vista-Win7_slow_flash-drive.jpg

In  XP its an excellent flash-drive but I bought the drive for using readyboost
    in Vista or Win7 …on this speeds this isn’t possible.

my specs:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise x64
    AMD Athlon 64 X2, 4600+
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe (AMD 580X CrossFire)
    4096 MB  (Dual channel PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    card1 Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition  (512 MB)
    card2 Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition  (512 MB)
    Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer
    Samsung SyncMaster 971P

USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
    USB2 Controller ULi/ALi M5273 USB 2.0 Host Controller

any suggestions?

Best regards,
    Jeroen
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:37 PM
  • i dont know if this is usefull but..

vista seems to cache what youve transfered  on the harddrive. 
    so if you transfer a file most of the way then cancel it. then copy the file again it goes really fast.

(and i think that may explain some of the reported increases of speed at the start which die off?)

also if you start a transfer then cancel it straight away then start it again, it increase the speed through out slightly
    repeating this may also increase the speed even more but its hard to because the transfer speed is averaged over the whole transfer...

aaaaaand just discovered that its probably nothing to do with the usb part. copying files from one part of the harddrive to the other is just as slow.

(edit: yuuusss!! figured out what was wrong, i had stupidly disabled dma for the harddrive thinking it was for the dvd drive... what an idiot)

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Hi

Need help with my usb problem

I have a 1TB external hdd and its a usb 2.0 and i used to get amazing speed when i connected it to the the mac installed machine and my broher's XP system .. only with windows vista and windows 7 this seems to be a problem it gives just a trasnfer speed of 5 MB/s and then keeps on dropping down and then stays on 1.5 or 2

BUT

you work for Dell and still have no answer??? so I am doomed...
    because i have simmilar issues with USB 2.0 low speed on XP Pro running on an Inspiron E1505 (like it wasn't enough I have the infamous AC adapter incompatibility).
    and still got no clue why is it so.
    but I am quoting you because your observation about HIGH speed before updates vs. LOW speed after updates seems to have a future.

so... any luck yet?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Most Usb flash drives comes with FAT32 file system.  I formatted mine to NTFS file system and the transfer speed increased significantly!!!        But be aware -most Dvd players and car stereos won't read NTFS.(If you planned to use it there)
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:08 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with Windows 7.  I enabled the Cache Write for the USB 2.0 Kingston Data Travelers 16gb usb stick
    with FAT32 and it is still slow.
    I reformatted the USB stick with NTFS. Windows 7 Cache will speed the file transfer speed with NTFS format but slows down at the end
    of the file copy and you will have to wait until the cache buffer has  completed.

My conclusion is that Windows 7 does not treat Fat32 very well.

Arthur
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I first replied in this thread in May 2009. It is now march 2010 and im still experiancing the same problems. Still no solution to this problem.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Yeah,

Let's hope sp1 wil fix this finally

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I don't think Microsoft gives a damn about this problem...........Apple here i come...

Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:04 PM
  • 3) is a VERY BAD idea, if you activate the write-cache, there is a high risk of data loss, if you unplig the usb device WITHOUT clicking on the safe-remoe-icon in the status-bar!
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:57 PM
  • write-cache or not, its still slow as ____

Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:40 PM
  • oh well i bet Microsoft still dint get any best solution about this
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:27 AM
  • this maybe dumb, did enable advance permance on all drives in computer MGM? if so, then only thing i can think of would be zip everything so it would be transported with min-index time
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Well I suspect that perhaps the flashdrive had been reformatted for whatever reason. The new formatting is slowing down transfer rates.... Though on a different machine it works fine... UMM My guess would be to update and install USB 2.0/3.0 drivers and reformat your pendrive... That should restore default sectors and formats and fix any problems... 

I had to reformat my flash drive to work as a bootable but after the formatting my usb was terrible slow... I changed it back to default format and it worked fine... Good Luck

Jerret, 16 

Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:00 AM
  • This(slow usb transfer rates) has been a problem ever since I bought my computer in 2007 so it does'nt have to do with the age of the machine and it slowing down. I've tried all of the suggested "fixes" from a multitude of sources including Microsoft. So here it is 2010 and still no effective solution to the problem.  In my case the transfer rate starts out fast (15mbs) then in the middle of the transfer stops and tells me the device can perform faster if I plug it into a usb 2.0 port. I have three on my laptop and can not choose which one is 2.0. It automatically sets to whatever the device dictates. I have to cancel the transfer (which sometimes hangs) and start all over at the slower 1.0 usb speed which gradually drops from 500kbs to about 30kbs (basically dial up). What a royal pain.........     Hey Microsoft whats the solution geniuses????

Oh well I guess it's back to XP

Financial success does not equal quality.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:03 PM
  • this maybe idiot, but ive reboot the system with the usb attached...than the copy n file tranfer works fine.....(usb 4g kingston, one iso file 1g+ ),,

before that its just goes very slow..... it goes for 7-32 .. and not with the xp,,, th usb works fine there.... (same system, different OS)...

sorry for any mistake.....

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:19 PM
  • tried loads of things even microsoft recommended settings. found this great......its bloody works, thanks to the super brain who worked it out

Go to
    1. Control panel
    2. System and Maintenance
    3. Administrative tools
    4. Run services shortcut
    Once the services program loads find the services called Background intelligent transfer service and stop it
    also right click on the same service and click properties then change the start value to manual or disabled this should also fix the network problem and USB copy and paste problem
    Amazing problem solved

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:30 PM
  • It doesnt work for my system:

copy to usb winxp: 32mb/s

copy to usb win7 64: still 7.5mb/s when service is disabled

;)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:16 PM
  • This worked for Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS; problem solved, thanks.
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 1:49 AM