TOSHIBA Laptop, Model L505-S59903, Intel Core 2 T6500 @ 2.1 GHZ, with 3GB memory
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, SP1, newly installed 8/16
installation dvd was burnt from Digital River .iso for win 7, Home Premium 32 bit SP1
Win 7 Product key has been activated
Reason for Reinstall
Laptop picked up a serious virus that McAfee missed. The virus destroyed system services and system restore points.
No hardware changes have been made.
Currently system does not have anti-virus installed but windows firewall is active. I did install and remove MSE. No problems were found.
After installing windows I used windows update (WU) to install the first
group of about 10 updates.
About 4 installed before a reboot was required.
After that 2 more installed and the rest failed with the 80070570 error. In subsequent groups of 10, about 2 of 10 would install with WU.
I restarted WU and had a group of 55 updates to download and install.
Several installed but about 50 failed with the 80070570 error.
Corrective actions attempted
Numerous uses of Mr. Fixit
Update Readiness Tool
Manually reset Windows Update Components per the steps provided in KB 971058
To rename the catroot2 directory I had 2 stop the cryptsvc service.
Some of the registry steps failed because of bad or missing entry points into the dlls.
Some of the registry steps failed because the specified DLL was missing.
I have been able to manually install most of the updates using Windows Download Manager.
In all, about 21 updates installed with WU and I used Manual Download/Update for 57 updates all of which failed WU with the 80070570 error.
I have also tried reinstalling win 7 and using win 7 RTM iso instead of a SP1 iso. This produced very similar problem but many more updates to load.
The systems is back with the SP1 iso installed.
I have tried using WU to install single updates or in small groups. About 2 of a groupf 10 will install with WU. The results are repeatable, the same ones loaded or failed with WU. (Over multiple Win 7 installs).
All the updates are installed now except for the following:
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2705219)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2712808)
Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2731847)
Update for Windows 7 (KB2729094)
The Manual Download could not find these in Download Manager!
I can provide a list of updates that had to be manually loaded (57 total).
Problem is now FIXED!! Problem was caused by a root kit virus, Rootkit.Boot.Pihar.c.
A Previous post suggested running: TDSSKiller.exe.
It found the problem
Apparently these type viruses survive a Clean Custom Install with the format option checked! In this case the virus went undetected by MSE, AntiMalwareBytes and McAfee. McAfee was the antivirus in control when the infection happened!
After removing the virus I was able to install updates with Windows Update!
- Edited by wmh131 Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:35 AM
Ok wmh131, you are a life saver.. been struggling with this for over 2 weeks.. it kept locking up my computer and everything, I was about to dump the OS reformat, and install vista.. thanks for this .. I searched every where for solutions and this worked great.. Life saver brother.. Thank you for sharing.
Following some tips for fix error code 0X80070570 in Windows 7 system:
Clean your system registry
Run an antivirus software
Optimize your system
Here we will talk about various set up errors in Windows 7 operating system and tips to resolve them successfully.